August 25th, 2011
Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• Supermodel Iman might be a huge figure in fashion, but she admits she hasn’t gone to a fashion show since the 80′s: “I’ve said it but no one ever believes me. I stopped modeling in 1989 and I’ve never been to a fashion show since then. I was at the tents at Lincoln Center as an interior decorator–I did the Mercedes Lounge–and when they saw me everyone was like, ‘Come to a show!’ But I’m done… I worked with literally every designer. So when I stopped I was invited and there was no way I could do one and not do the other and if I did everybody, and I know my industry very well, they will say, ‘Oh poor her, she wants to come back.’ Come on, I know fashion people. The reason I lasted this long is because I’m not around them all the time!” So, the lady reconfirms what we already knew: she’s too cool for all of us. (Fashionista)

• Oh, Tyra. It seems the supermodel turned business powerhouse may have missed her calling as a circus performer. Here she is posing with the cast of Cirque du Soleil Zarkana after a recent show. As for the growl? Only she and ‘ol boy in the way back know the reason for it. (Wireimage)

• As a testament to the PR powerhouse she is, and how poignantly she’s changed the US Vogue brand, Forbes Magazine named Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour #69 of the World’s Most Powerful Women. Wintour ranked higher than fashion notables Miuccia Prada (#79) and Diane Von Furstenberg (#91) (Forbes)

• UK Bombers: If you love Michelle Obama‘s effortlessly chic J.Crew looks, get excited: creative director and president Jenna Lyons says the brand is spreading its reach and will be launching an e-commerce site so Brits can have access to the classic All-American aesthetic the chain offers. Lyons also says standalone J.Crew stores may soon be popping up in the UK: “We’d love to open stores in the UK, I’m absolutely champing at the bit to do it!” Lyons told us today. “We have a trip planned soon to look at locations and hopefully we’ll be able to learn alot from the UK ecommerce launch – what the UK customer wants. We know a little already – because British customers often shop in our stores in New York and elsewhere and then have the goods shipped back to the UK – but this will definitely help.” UK readers, will you be shopping? (Vogue UK)

Barney’s warehouse sale starts today! Get your hands on designer duds at slashed prices.

Racked reports “scenes of chaos” inside the store, which is understandable especially when these Nicholas Kirkwood x Rodarte wedges are amongst the items up for grabs. New York City Bombers, mosey on over to 255 West 17th Street to get in on the deals! (Racked)

• Speaking of sample sales, designer rental website Rent The Runway is having one from Monday, August 29th to Tuesday, August 30th. The best part? You can actually keep what you purchase! Tickets to the event are $5 through GiltCity, and are also good for a $20 credit to use at the sale! If you’re already a Rent The Runway member, email RSVP@renttherunway.com with your full name and phone number to RSVP. Check out the sale from 4-8pm at their offices at 163 Varick Street (between Charlton and Spring Street), 4th Floor.

~Jihan

15 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Iman Doesn’t Hang Out With Fashion Folk Anymore, Anna Wintour Is One of The Most Powerful Women in The World, and Sample Sales at Barney’s and Rent The Runway”

1. Juanie says:

I really want that lipstick that Iman is wearing! Anyone know the color/brand?

2. yusufswifee says:

@juanie, don’t know what lipstick that is, but try Wet lipgloss by VS next time you are in Vicki’s….looks like that and you can change up by using different lipliners…it is a fab nude – great for when the eyes are done up.

3. marguerite says:

that Barney’s sale is over for us west coasters. i’m glad i already knew about it cuz i would have been crying had i just seen the ad.

4. mari says:

Wait – when did Tyra Banks start wearing weaves again? I really must start paying attention..

5. Indigo says:

@ Mari… When did she stop?

6. Grace says:

LOL @ Indigo, I was thinking the same thing. With the exception of that infamous pic w/her wet stringy hair sans weave, have we ever seen her w/o one?!

7. jasmine says:

this post lacks relevence i <3 u f-bomb but never this again

8. Jihan says:

@ jasmine in what way does a post about fashion news lack relevance on a fashion website? I’m a little confused!

@ mari, indigo, and grace. I think it was two years or so ago that she said she was going to stop wearing weaves and wigs for a while. She announced this on her show. I think she’s back to that Yaki hair though, but it’s all good. Do ya thang, Ty-ty!

9. Kellie says:

I posted Iman’s lip look below, courtesy of Sam Fine’s blog ;)

“Perfect Lip Pencil in Espresso: A creamy texture lip liner that helps prevent feathering. And Luxury Lip Shimmer in Brownie; bringing high-shine gloss that moisturizes lips”

All of these products are Iman Cosmetics.

10. [...] • In an interview with Forbes on her recent ranking as the 69th most influential woman in the world, Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour assures the public: those who work closely with her indeed do [...]

11. [...] The Women of 9/11" based on the book "Women at Ground Zero: Stories of Compassion and Courage" 10th anniversary of 9/11: Powerful|Strong|Impressive Women at Ground Zero Talk about Influential Wom… day take 5 seconds to reflect on the powerful women of 9/11 How the women responded to and were [...]

12. Many thanks for an unbelievable submit, will examine one’s others posts. thanks for your ideas for this, I felt a bit struck by this text. Merit again! You earn a great point. Got some wonderful report here. I do think that when more people thought of it like this, they’d have got a better time obtain the suspend ofing the issue.

13. price says:

Wonderful article! We are linking to this great content
    on our site. Keep up the good writing.