August 24th, 2011
Fashion Discussion, Fashion News, Plus Sized
Fashion Discussion: Why Should Size Matter?

It happens like clockwork. Every time we feature a plus sized Bombshell, comments invariably veer from observations of style to edicts on health and doctrines on the dangers of obesity.

Yesterday, for Bombshell Tiffany from Chicago, most were focused on her looks, but some, like MissyQeenB said, “I CANNOT get past her weight,”Mommy’s Daughter said, “It disturbs me that only in the black community being obese and overweight is being applauded. I am not saying crucify her. I just wish the community would take this seriously and realize obesity is a fatal disease that kills,” and reader Vogue said, “I love how people keep saying [her weight] doesn’t matter. I see there are a lot of overweight people up in here. Would I be surprised? 8 out of every black women is grossly obese. Shhhhhhhhhh weight matters.”
Yes, according to the Office of Minority Health, African-American women have the highest rate of being obese or overweight in the US. According to the CDC, 78% of African-American women were considered overweight or obese in 2010. Whether or not one chooses to act on this knowledge and hit the gym or diet is a personal health decision. So when it comes to fashion, as long as your clothes fit and are flattering, why make a fuss over size?

For some reason people feel free to offer unsolicited advice, not knowing if the person in question is working towards a more healthy size or is dealing with an unrelated medical issue. And at the end of the day, if their clothes are tailored, colors gorgeous, and if the overall package is an A+, why should we focus on their (plus) size?

What do you think?

164 Responses to “Fashion Discussion: Why Should Size Matter?”

1. NessaLew says:

I just don’t understand why people feel obligated to comment. I subscribe to the Fashion Bomb, and look forward to the Bombshell post daily. If a woman has style that I admire, I say so. If not, I check out the outifts and move on with my daily life. It isn’t my place to say I dislike her style choices and it certainly isn’t my place to criticize anyone’s weight.

2. Jihan says:

That BMI index is so ridiculous, also. It doesn’t take into consideration that black women tend to be naturally larger than others in general, even when they are not obese. I was reading an article about how they need to change the BMI to accommodate the physical body norms of different groups of people.

“Obese” for me is not going to be the same as it is for my white friends, although I am smaller than most of them. But, I am a munchkin so…

As a country, however, we.need.to.lose.weight. I was appalled the first time I went to the rural midwest for school and saw all these dangerously obese people reaching for cheetos, sitting down at Bob Evans, readying their forks and knives for another grease-slathered fried dead carcass of an animal. It’s a national problem, and like many national problems (unemployment), it significantly affects black folks. Let’s start eating more fruits and veggies! Leave McDonald’s alone!

3. Mariana says:

Great article. I do believe there are many plus sized women out there who know how to dress their body type and look good. Fashion is about that and not about the side of you body. Thank you!

4. Jaida says:

My issue is that some people expect plus size women to dress at Lane Bryant and Torrid only like they can’t be fashionable because they don’t wear a size 0. Size and fashion have nothing to do with one another and for the life of me, I can’t understand why people think smaller sizes equal to being “more fashionable”. Like I said yesterday on Tiffany’s spotlight, I’ve seen plenty of thin people step out the house and look a mess alongside some plus size women too. Size shouldn’t be the issue, whether you’re a size 0 or a size 24. Some people are worried about the WRONG things. Judging someone’s fashion sense solely based on their size is pure ignorance in my opinion. I do agree that obesity is an issue in America across the board, but some people also like to play ‘doctor’ and automatically claim people are obese if they’re overweight. Claire, you also brought up the point that some people might be dealing with health issues and their weight may be out of their control. I just wish some people would step away from the TV and computer for a minute and do some more research before they ‘diagnose’ somebody with obesity or say they can’t get past somebody’s weight when this is a FASHION blog, not a health blog.

5. Misscse says:

I thought this site was about fashion, not health. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, yes, but keep it focused and curtailed to the discussion, which is fashion.

Is she supposed to not care about fashion as much as a thin person? Does being a certain size make one more entitled to fashion than the other?

6. Blu says:

• Specifically speaking about yesterdays bombshell I don’t agree that ‘ the overall package is an A+’. I think fit issues were compounded by her size, thus making her weight apart of the discussion. The similar reactions are displayed when a more slender woman (i.e. Zoe Saldana) is photographed in something not figure flatter. However I do think many times, including yesterday, peoples comments can very mean spirited and unnecessary.

7. Kimmy says:

Claire,

The young lady Tiffany from yesterday’s Bombshell of The Day disturbed me as well as many of your readers. I think the person who took offense were the people who know that they themselves are obese and/or overweight. It is not a “So what?” topic. The concern was not just for Tiffany personally, but that she was somehow celebrating being morbidly obese, which is what she is. No one has to know her personal medical history to know that, you can tell from just looking at her. It took away from even looking at her from a fashionista point-of-view. I’m glad she can love herself as she is, but as you stated, 78% of African-American women are overweight and need to lose weight to be healthy. We need to stop celebrating obesity, it’s irresponsible as a culture, and as people. To admonish your readers for the fact that they could not get past her size and the fear that celebrating Tiffany only exacerbates the problem we have in our culture really dissapoints me. This platform should be used to say yes, if you’re a big girl and love fashion, we accept you but know that we do not applaud being unhealthy in any size. I’m glad people spoke up and everyone, please don’t stop. It’s not about making overweight people feel bad, it’s about making OUR people healthy.

As for Linda from Miami, I’m a big fan of yours, but don’t let your insecurities about your size overshadow the right for someone else to be actually concerned about a young, obese women that has put herself on display. That is what makes us caring human beings and no one should stop simply because “we don’t know her personally” or she would somehow not affect our lives. Whether you know it or not, Tiffany already has affected many people just by being displayed on Fashion Bomb and I applaud it. I wish Tiffany long life, love and health and I thank her for reminding me I want the same and to get in the gym immediatley to be an example.

8. Claire says:

@Kimmy ‘Admonish’ is a strong word for what I did in this post, which was actually to simply open discussion. I didn’t applaud or criticize overweight or obese women, but was rather simply asking: when it comes to fashion, why does size matter?
    Please don’t attack me as well for bringing these issues to the table. Thx.

9. andrea says:

So, im not understanding, do the people who felt so strongly about her weight feel like she shouldn’t be the bombshell of the day because she is larger? If that’s the case then maybe we shouldn’t have bombshells who are short, to dark, to light, to tall, one eye bigger than the other. I do not believe that anyone was celebrating her weight, I think they were celebrating her and the confidence she exudes. Yes, obesity is a big issue in America, but Claire is right our larger bombshells are being criticized with out knowledge of their medical history or perhaps their journey to living a more “healthy” or “ideal” lifestyle. I don’t believe that the purpose of being a bombshell is to be critiqued on your size, I think it’s about fashion (do you like it or not) and if your only reason for not liking it is because the person is larger, than what does that say about you?

10. Blu says:

@Kimmy
    I understand your ‘concern’, but frankly, it’s insulting. Yes, she is very overweight, that does not mean she shouldn’t take pride in her appearance. How do you know she’s not on a weight loss plan? Should she stay in her house and never leave until she’s an ‘acceptable weight’? You can’t shame people into losing weight.

11. Kimmy says:

@Claire: LOL! Not an “attack”(also a strong word), but a response, an opinion to what you wrote. So nice of you to respond! Good day Claire!

12. SimplyMe says:

I think health, not size, matters but I choose to keep my comments to myself as I could care less what other people choose to feed themselves.

13. Englishvers says:

Firstly, I agree, this is a Fashion portal, and in this context I do not believe that size matter. However, if one is obese one ought not to wear frightfully tight garments. Indeed one can also be thin and not look at all pleasant in frightfully tights garments too. One should not wear ill-fitting clothes whether thin or obese and so forth. It’s all in the presentation.

I do not live in America, I’m not American, but from what I’ve read a large percentage of African Americans are overweight or obese. This has nothing to do with Fashion.

14. Alyssa says:

The problem is that people feel most comfortable expressing hate and negativity under the guise of “concern.” We hate to see someone exude confidence especially when they are facing a problem or dealing with a situation that would debilitate most. Her obesity was not being celebrated, it just wasn’t being singled out. It’s called couth. To assume that the people responding positively are obese is just… shortsighted and immature. Nothing that was said in her comments section was new or groundbreaking so my question is, why do we feel the need to remind people that their shortcomings exist at all times? I promise you she knows she’s overweight. I’m sure she’s received qualified medical advice about the things she needs to do to become healthy. Can she have one moment where her weight isn’t the deal breaker? Should she limit her interactions with people and hide her confidence until she reaches a healthier more acceptable weight? Come on

15. Its automatic that clothing looks more appeasing on a longer, more slim frame. Not that plus size clothing looks bad on big girls(Not that these girls are big at all) but when making a decision on purchasing something in a fashion magazine, it just looks nicer.

16. Mads says:

We shouldn’t celebrate either end of the weight spectrum – being excessively thin can be dangerous, but obesity is a growing problem, esp in the black community. If a Bombshell puts herself into the public forum (via her blog or others) and she is over/underweight of course that is going to be commented on.

If a Bombshell were in the pic smoking or taking drugs, I’d like to think we’d comment on the fashion then tell her she’s an idiot for killing herself slowly. She should get the same treatment for killing herself slowly with food. Bravo that she can dress well but it doesn’t matter that we don’t know her or that her fashion game is A+, she will probably die a premature death because she eats too much. It’s that simple!

17. Misscse says:

@Kimmy
    How is she celebrating obesity? Because she’s living as an obese person, it’s a celebration? Okay… Fashion is another form of artistic expression. I didn’t realize that one’s health limits their form of expression.

18. MIMI says:

This is a FASHION website and we are suppose to comment on there FASHION period. There are many skinny people that are unhealthy as well. Kimmy…..smh Anyway I am not plus size and I think some of the comments were very harsh yesterday! If we start focusing on weight then we should also focus on looks, race etc which would be just as silly. I think an overwieght person knows they are overweight so should they not enjoy fashion? Stop it

19. Misscse says:

@Alyssa You hit the nail on the head!

20. Alyssa says:

“While there is a smidge of hypocrisy in lambasting overweight girls over ones who are probably under eating to stay thin, it seems black women are more likely to die from eating too much than too little. As obesity is a life threatening disease, it should be called out on.”

@Mads, being underweight is also a life threatening disease and can lead to the same problems as being overweight. (ex. heart attack, stroke, immobility, digestive problems, etc.) Don’t be fooled, black women are dying and suffering at the other end of the spectrum as well.

21. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

Fact: They asked what you thought of her style, not her size. So if you don’t have anything to say about a person’s style, then don’t comment. Her size was jarring, but it didn’t take away from the fact that she, and Linda from Miami, looked like fun and interesting people who probably had a unique perspective on life. Judging people by the outside wrappings can sometimes block you from a blessing or a sweet surprise. Fashion isn’t deep, it’s not supposed to be, so just comment on the shoes and keep your Surgeon General’s health warnings to yourself.

22. PJ says:

@Kimmy At what point do we have to take a step back and realize that’s posting comments regarding weight on a post specifically about the bombshell’s style are out of place? As Claire said, regardless of size her personal take on fashion is the point of focus, so why do people feel the need, responsibility or some misguided sense of obligation to educate these women on their health? Berating them and expressing concern does no good IMO. Why? In this case, Tiffany is a grown woman who is aware of where she stands. These comments are not gonna make her up and decide to lose XX lbs tomorrow.

We have to understand that all the bombshells who post here see themselves in the mirror and whether tall/short/skinny/fat/darker/whatever, are obviously comfortable in their skin. So why would you want to take that away from someone under the guise of helping her and improving her health?

The focus should be on her style, her choices and fit. Noone should take it upon themselves to applaud or criticize these girls for their health decisions.

23. Empress says:

Size does kind of matter in fashion. Especially when you have plus size women wearing tight club dresses with their pot bellies hanging over (previous bombshell)…or cellulite and stretch marks showing.

I applauded yesterday’s bombshell Tiffany because even though she was plus size she wore that was not tight fitting..Besides the shorts I thought she dressed fine according to her size.

24. McKenzie says:

No one gets this riled up when people comment on an extra skinny celeb or model and says “she needs to eat a burger”. Comments such as these usually illicts laughter and agreement. Whether it be critizing the too thin or too big or celebrating the just thin enough, size does matter in the fashion world, period.

25. Mari says:

Yesterdays so called FBOD’s cloths were unflattering to say the least. If you thighs look like a baby elephant u should know better than to try showing them of. Disgusted by those cut off shorts. Size does and will always matter when certain people chose to wear the wrong cloths for their body shapes. All this does is put more focus on it.

26. Miss Moon says:

Thank you, Alyssa… your empathy has really touched me today!

I am full-figured and working my tuchus off (pun intended) to lose weight. I’m in my early 30s and I recognize now is the time to get do it to improve my health.

I’ve had people approach me with very rude comments under the guise of concern constantly. I know how big I am. I know the health risks. I also know that hating myself or feeling shame for myself is NOT going to help me to achieve my weight loss goals.

27. I have very few spare fucks to give, so I’m not going to give too many of them to this long conversation. But I will say this:

Why is it that the weight friendly community wants us to celebrate their size – but continues to put the “thinnest” fat women in catalogs, Lane Bryant displays etc? The average fat woman I’m seeing from day to day is not hour glassed shape; people tend to carry excess weight in not the best places. Yet if you look at “plus size” models, they’re all just hourglasses with a little extra sand. What’s tee with that???

Personally, if you’re fat, be fat. If you’re not, be not fat. I don’t care to be overweight, nor will I date someone who is overweight. But your business is your business and vice versa. Shrug.

28. Hi, I’m Tiffany. You know the girl in the photos from yesterday that some of you have been talking about like I can’t read these. Some of you are right. I’m fat and it’s being celebrated not just by me, but by my blog readers, other bloggers, clothing companies, and other media outlets. I’m fat, I could lose weight, but its the way I like being and the way that I’m comfortable. My health is none of your business. If I become unhealthy and I die that’s a personal problem.

One of the main principles of fat acceptance is that people have the right to be fat and more then that people have the right to be unhealthy. People don’t deserve any less respect if they choose to be unhealthy or fat. Also, by the way, it’s been proven that you can be fat and healthy. I’m a living example. The two often go hand in hand, but not always.

I find it so interesting that when it comes to the health of other person people feel like it’s their right to say something. Allow me to point out that the person you think you’re helping, but are really belittling and eating away at their self esteem and self worth already knows everything that you have to say. All of your statics and ‘my daddy died of a heart attack’ stories have been heard before. You never know what is going on with a person. They could have other personal and/or health issues or be comfortable with themselves like me.

When you see someone smoking a cigarette or lighting up a blunt do you flick it out of their hand or subject them to public ridicule or lecture them on how they are killing themselves and the potential risk of smoking? What about people who wear heels? Do you lecture them on the potential health risk of that?

What should I be doing? Should I be wearing capris and graphic tees from Lane Bryant while I cry everyday about how fat I am and force myself to loose weight? Why can’t I be fat and have my own style? Why is it wrong for me to care about how I look?

Oh and fuck “flattering”. I don’t subscribe to what society deems as flattering. I’m all for fat girls in crop tops, short shorts. I’ll show off my belly, thighs, and back rolls if I so choose.

29. Carmen says:

I’m sorry but saying that you make comments about someone’s weight on a fashion site because you are concerned about their health is the equivalent of peeing on someone’s head and calling it rain. If you are not her personal physician, or at least a medical professional who has seen her test results, you have no authority to determine that she is morbidly obese. You have no idea about what other factors influence her weight or if she exercises or if she suffers from hypertension etc. You just feel that you can pick on her because her picture is on the internet and she appears to be larger than average.

Technically, Serena Williams is overweight but she is a champion athlete and the BMI calculator does not account for muscle mass or even bone density. Skinny, thin, or even average does not automatically mean healthy. http://www.self.com/health/blogs/healthyself/2011/07/skinny-doesnt-equal-healthy-hi.html

@ McKenna, don’t know how often you read Fashion Bomb but after comments were made about Keisha Whitaker being too thin, Claire posted a very similar article.

Personally, if I don’t like a bombshell’s style, I just don’t post but they do send in their pictures for critique so I think comments about the cut of fabric and the fit of the garment should be expected but saying things like I just can’t get past her weight, etc is just mean spirited and internet thugging, in my opinion.

30. mari says:

Come on, seriously? There’s a difference between a plus sized woman like you posted and the obese girl that was fashionbomb of the day. Obesity is the leading cause of preventable death WORLDWIDE. Why should we look past weight? We should encourage these girl to live healthy, like the First Lady is doing.

31. bluemoon says:

The model in the above pictures is a plus size model. She has curves and a shape. I’m sure she works out to maintain her shape. She has definition in her legs. Her clothes fit her and are tailored to her body. She is not sloppy. She is not wearing clothing that is too small. That showcases her rolls. That highlights her lumps and bumps. Everyone cannot wear everything. There is a big difference between being curvy and being sloppy. Clothes will never look good on a sloppy body. That is why people get their clothes tailored. If it does not fit, if it does not flatter, then it does not look good.

32. Savage says:

Ok, her size was shocking but her pics were submitted so her FASHION could be critiqued, nothing else. It is so damn jarring that everytime a bigger girl’s pics are posted her size is a matter of discussion. Why? Is there a difference between a big girl and a unhealthy girl? Yes, but is this the time to judge her on it? No..I swear if I was a big girl I would think twice about even submitting my pics on this site. And no disrespect to you Claire, bc you are out here trying to portray fashion from all sides of the spectrum, but some people are unecessarily cruel.

33. bluemoon says:

The bombshell from yesterday was wearing clothing that she had no buisness wearing. It did not look good. If she wants to wear short shorts, then she needs to spend the time in the gym working on her legs. She should have dressed for her shape. There have been plus size bombshells that got props on this site because they dressed for their shape. There have also been skinner girls that were told to try again.
    Fashion isnt just about wearing what ever you want. It is about looking good in your clothing.

34. Savage says:

And BTW the fact that a bigger girl is on her grind to look good is a an accomplishment within itself. Its not easy when your not 5’5 120 to find clothes that are fashionable and fit to your frame.

35. Some of you are right. I’m fat and it’s being celebrated not just by me, but by my blog readers, other bloggers, clothing companies, and other media outlets. I’m fat, I could lose weight, but its the way I like being and the way that I’m comfortable. My health is none of your business. If I become unhealthy and I die that’s a personal problem.
    Thanks to everybody that had nice things say wether you liked my style and weight or not. I’ll be looking great, eating big juicy burgers and showing off my thighs in public. Bye folks. :-)”

36. Blacqueberri says:

I personally don’t understand why people must be sooo hateful! I give Tiffany from Chicago 2 thunbs up. What this blog is for is to show different fashion trends or ideas and how different people showcase their style. I don’t see why people must jump to the negative. I think that it is more accepted for Black women to be over weight because we are more curvy and carry our weight well. I am a plus size sista and I would’nt change it for the world. As long as I’m healthy… I’m sexy! Tiffany was just displaying her style not her size. She not saying she wants to be a fashion model, she was just displaying her style!!!

37. Franchesca says:

We were all taught what fashion models are “supposed” to look like. Challenging the years and years of lessons, while applauded, will definitely prove to be a challenge and not to everyone’s taste– like fashion and style. No opinion is more valid. However, there is a reason why the high fashion models are stick-thin: so the focus is on the clothing. That 10 second glide down the runway is a very expensive commercial for the designer, and there is no room for anyone’s butt, boobs, or hips to upstage his/her design. In ready-to-wear fashion, there is more room for the curvy girl (i.e. denim, plus-size, etc.) but that doesn’t stop people from involuntarily comparing. In the same way some people can’t get used to seeing a Black man serve as president of our country (or natural Black hair as “good” or ideal), some people can’t get used to seeing a plus-size model as a “real” model. That’s comes with the territory of boundary-breaking. You choose to roll with it or continue to resist the idea. It’s unrealistic to expect EVERYONE to be on board with your thinking.

38. Nikki K. says:

Well, I think size matters in the fashion world because, as it acts a a forum for artistic expression, there is a huge value placed on aesthetics and how pleasing the shape, size, and shade of the clothing (and the model) are to an audience. I think asking others to separate the model’s body from her fashion is impossible; one’s body is a canvas for their clothing/style and does affect how we receive and perceive their sense of fashion (i.e. the old controversy about why Mashonda can look kind of trashy in something Rihanna looks sultry in). With that said, I am shocked by how some have chosen to voice their opinion about yesterday’s FBOD. Because this is an open forum, we have to realize that it’s open to negative opinions and comments as well, but I was hoping that the people who choose to participate in this forum would do so in a way that is honest, yes, but also CONSTRUCTIVE and SUPPORTIVE.

39. Indigo says:

I didn’t like Tiffany’s style, hell, I don’t like that look on ANY ONE! I felt it was not fitting for her size… Sorry, I’m not tryna be mean, but certain styles don’t look good on every size and shape. Some things may look better on a sister 300 pounds than it does on me,because it’s for her “shape” I didn’t comment yesterday,because what I took from Tiffany could not be expressed in words. I didn’t like her clothes,but I loved her confidence and It put a huge smile on my face. This is one thing I have to say about being a big gurl and clothes,YOU HAVE TO PAY A LITTLE MORE TO LOOK PUT TOGETHER. And start with supportive under garments. A good bra can make a huge difference. I am a 14 and for my shape, I cannot shop in F21,Pretty Girl, Rainbow or any store like that because I need a little bit more of a tailored look, and that’s the case with Tiffany also. Her clothes are ill fitted. Tiffany, I love your spunk,but you have to dress according to your shape.. Does size matter in fashion? It does, depending on the style.. There are a lot of styles I wish I could rock,but I can’t pull them off… So now I am in the gym 3 times a week, working towards a goal

As far as addressing the obese issue, I pray people will look more into “our” history and see why so many Black Americans are over weight, there is a reason…Not an excuse, but a reason. This is not our land,food, or environment… And with that said, I wish more of use took our health a little more seriously. Some may not be obese but are unhealthy mentally and emotionally…

40. Jaida says:

Some people obviously didn’t read Tiffany’s comments. She does not care what people think about her weight or how she looks in her clothes because she’s not dressing to please you! The sooner people get that, the better off we’ll all be! That woman is gonna continue on with her life and dress however she wants. Some of the people on here trying to play doctor and pretend to be ‘concerned’ about her weight and health SLAY me. It’s none of your concern!

41. dyshaun says:

*sips coffee* Nice convo, ladies.

I thank the Lord everyday for my ability to see things outside of the standard quo context… its very freeing to see something and not immediately think negatively or harking back to something I saw before (bright red = koolaid, feathers = muppets, big = fat)…the ultimate case of freeing your mind.

I thought this happened with men more than women, but the comments here always remind me that small minds are universal.

42. Savage says:

@ Nikki

I think many of the comments were just unecessary. She’s big, so what? I mean if homegirl would’ve looked wack now that’s a diff story. But she didn’t, she was just fat. And I do think there is an issue within our community about weight. I think we do let bad eating habits and unhealthy choices slide. And it needs to be addressed, but not now!

43. t says:

i was once 250 pounds. now im down to around 150. going from fat to thin has given me a lot of perspective on society’s focus on weight. all i can say is that people HATE FAT. these strangers on the internet pretending they have true concern for someone they don’t know should just GIVE IT UP. admit that you hate fat. admit that you had the fact the that 8-10 black women as overweight or obese not because you genuinely care about your “sisters” you just don’t like that negative statistic being associated with you as a black woman who is not overweight. i bet the same ppl on here who say they care make disgusted faces at and are rude to fat ppl in real life! humans are so judgmental. that’s the whole point of the fashion bombshell of the day – to judge what ppl are wearing. then when we get an overweight bombshell they get to judge double – and it makes them feel good! let me ask, those who REALLY say they care about overweight bombshells – what have you even done to REALLY HELP overweight people in real life? berate them? talk about them? shame them? because all of that does not help. i lost weight because of concern for my health – not because of the 18 or so years of shame “friends” and strangers saw fit to put upon me. i doubt any of you have concern for tiffany from yesterday or fat people for real.

44. Indigo says:

I just read a “Leave the McDonalds alone”… Some people have a sensitivity to gluten,(Me) and other foods and don’t even know it. I thought peppers,honeydew melons,Kewi,wheat and pickles were some safe foods, come to find out, they aren’t right for my blood type, I can’t digest them.

45. t says:

oh and @ tiffany I LOVE YOU CONFIDENCE!!! DO you cuz fat or thin people are always gonna talk.

46. Alyssa says:

Thanks Miss Moon! I’m sure you’ll reach your goals and remember, nobody’s opinion matters but your own… not even the positive ones. I guarantee that most of the people on here fronting like health is the main issue/concern will have fast food today, or a salad with extra croutons, extra dressing, or crispy chicken! lol! Everyone who “looks” healthy is not actually healthy. Do you, and don’t let anyone shame you out of your own self confidence!

47. Franchesca says:

@dyshaun

Come up off that pedestal of righteousness you’ve put yourself on, dude. I promise you do the same thing these women are doing here. Perhaps not with aesthetics or fashion, but to assume you have somehow escaped the human inclination to judge something or someone is in fact delusion. Perhaps you see it as a “passionate preference” but you most definitely have “immediately negative” reactions to things in life.

48. Sunny says:

To be honest, although I liked a few pieces, I wasn’t a fan of Tiffany’s “style” REGARDLESS of her weight. However, I admired her confidence and her sense of individuality through her outfits which is what I thought was the whole purpose of the “Bombshell of the Day” feature anyways…

People in general will ALWAYS have something negative to say about others. I’m sure if it wasn’t her weight, it would be her complexion or the texture of her hair or any other non-mu*** f’n factor we can think of.

Let’s keep it to the point: This is about her (and every other featured bombshell’s) fashion/style and therefore all the comments should be focused on just that. It’s NOT a forum for your family health history, what Lil’ JoJo, Knuck Knuck and ‘nem said about you in middle school or any other irrelevant information you should be sharing with your nearest psychologist.

49. Dani says:

Truthfully I don’t see why her weight has ANYTHING to do with the discussion. It’s been said over & over again… this is a fashion blog, not a health blog. Ppl are so judgmental it’s sickening.

ALSO THIS MAKES ME MAD ” 78% of African-American women are overweight” I’ve seen it so many times but I don’t think any of you actually know what it means. [**Jihan**] was correct the BMI index is a crock. It’s not meant for every race and body shape.

Ppl need to take into consideration that black & latino women are naturally thicker than women of other races. Also Body shape plays a CRUCIAL role in it too. I recently lost 52 lbs by eating healthy and working out. I’m 5’4 & currently weigh 167 & I’m considered overweight [not far from obese] according to the BMI index which is bull. I happen to have an hourglass shape so I look about 15-20lbs LIGHTER than I really am. If I went down to the 145 that would be “normal healthy weight” for my height, I’d be a darn TWIG… not cute… NOT HEALTHY. Some of you really need to research, know your bodies and don’t always fall into the hype. Just because a doctor says its right doesnt always mean it is.

Women are out here killing themselves to fit in a mold that was NEVER MEANT FOR THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. Work out, eat right, PAY ATTENTION to & take care of your body & you’ll be healthy at whatever size you are. Being bigger doesnt mean you’re an unhealthy person & being small doesnt mean your healthy!!! Get a clue ladies! All my bigger, fabulous, fashionistas please don’t let the posts in previous fashion bombshells discourage you! I love seeing all women of all sizes work what they’ve got. =) <3