August 23rd, 2011
Celebrity Style, Hot or Hmm

Zoe Saldana ditched her striped cardigan and readers for the Miami Premiere of Colombiana, slipping on a chic gold and silver speckled dress from Balmain’s Resort 2012 collection:

While the original version flaunted a short hemline, the designers at Balmain outfitted Zoe’s version with a flowing asymmetrical swath of white fabric.

She completed the look with black strappy sandals and a smile.

Call me crazy, but I think I actually prefer the original version. Yes, Zoe’s look is different and more red carpet appropriate with the train, but I think the white fabric takes away from the allure of the dress. What do you think?

Posted In
39 comments

39 Responses to “Hot! or Hmm…: Zoe Saldana in Balmain Resort 2012 at the Miami Premiere of Colombiana”

1. Siyam says:

She can make almost anything look fabulous!

2. Lakesha says:

I like the original better also, maybe even with some of those bootie heels. I guess the train is throwing me off. Zoe is rockin it though!

3. melissa says:

actually i love the dress but i’m not sur for shoes!!!!

4. TicaPica says:

WOW! it looks like somebody ripped off the lace at the front hahaha she is just gorgeous though, and i think she pulls off such an intricate and otherwise costumey dress, the shoes need to be upgraded though! can’t wait to watch colombiana!

5. Englishvers says:

The dress fits her nicely but something about the train/footwear is off.

6. Carmen says:

I agree. The original dress looked much better. The train looks completely random and just weighs the dress down. I don’t like the shoes either but her makeup is flawless.

7. llehsal says:

I actually prefer her version…glamorous!

8. Jihan says:

I actually like the train, but those shoes… those shoes…

softly, I die.

9. Ashley says:

I think it would look better without the white train. If that was out of the picture, it would be a lovely dress.

10. Nunyabizniz says:

Yep, the model looks much better and have better shoes. Zoe’s shoes are not doing it for me. I actually wouldn’t mind Zoe’s dress if the lace was all around, I gnerally hate the mullet style of dresses. Oh well, she still looks fab though, sthg about Zoe is just so adorable she can never do any wrong..

11. R.Forde says:

I love the dress, I however, don’t like the white train on the dress it seems a bit off, an after thought, if you will.

12. FiFi says:

I was saying, “Work it girl!!!” till I scrolled all the way down and saw that ridiculous train.

this dress is soooo beautiful!!!
    the shoes are alright.

14. Savage says:

The gown is amazing, the shoes are a bit harsh. I like the train from the back. But all in all she looks fantastic!

15. sun.kissed says:

She looks gorgeous, but I prefer the version without the train. It looks like she got up from the table with the cloth tucked in her butt. the shoes are also throwing me off. The model rocked it.

16. t says:

that dress would be the business without that white part on the bottom

17. Vixen1905 says:

She looks great from the ankle up…Lost me at the shoes! But Beautiful indeed!

18. Kryss says:

I LOVE THE DRESS, BUT I WISH SHE WOULD HAVE CHOSEN A DIFFERENT SHOE. EITHER WAY SHE IS STILL GORGEOUS!!

19. missb says:

It looks better from the back.

20. dyshaun says:

I like the model’s look this time. Wow.

21. mo says:

From the back I can see what they were going for, but the front looks like an accident. It looks like she had a skirt on and the elastic broke and it fell down. It makes no sense and the shoes are awful. From the hip up, though, gorgeous!

22. Bonifant says:

I think it needed a different shoe, maybe the shoes from the lookbook. But I love the idea…. party in the front business/elegance in the back. She posed perfectly to show off the duality of the gown. I love the back shot.

23. Dobe says:

She looks really good! I don’t mind the train, it looks good from the back, but a bit off when looking at it from the front. There could’ve been a better choice made, shoe-wise.

24. Indigo says:

Her toes look like they are in prison crying… Take off those curtains and the dress is nice. Why did she wear those shoes? Oh, because they are expensive…

25. Jessica says:

This gown is amazing OMG…

26. Alexis says:

Am I one of the only ppl that LOVE this dress? MTO called it a fail… It looks like a Spanish Bull fighter! love love love AMAZE!

27. Tifani says:

The Original dress looks better in my opinion and her shoe choice was a no go!!!

28. tommykimon says:

The original looked way better and Zoe has the legs to pull off the shirt dress. Not sure why she stuck a train on the back.

29. tommykimon says:

oops I meant *short* dress

30. Crystal says:

the model is killing it! zoe somehow managed to grandmafy the look as usual! ugh.

31. Oldhousecoat says:

Why? I think its pretty safe to say Zoe is consistantly a mess! Sometimes I wonder if she even bothers with a stylist. Eveything she wears reminds me of someone playing dress up; like a high school girl trying to figure out her style. I wish her luck. I would be happy to help – feel free to pass along my email dress.

32. binks says:

Hmm……the color and the cut of the dress is gorg against her skin but when she added the extra fabric at the bottom it messed it up. The original dress is a whole lot better

33. Kawaza Desiree says:

I find it so funny how I was saying to myself “This look would’ve been hot if the dress was short and didn’t have that train.” Then I scrolled down and saw the original design. lol. The look isn’t horrible but I def think she should’ve worn the dress without the train. Red carpet is no longer about long, train dresses. You can wear a short dress and look just as elegant and extravagant and LOOK like it’s YOUR movie premiere. But Zoe Saldana is always beautiful regardless.

34. Kishonda says:

Yeah the train is a no no.

35. Diggs says:

She looks beautiful, but I agree, I like the original without the train better. Either way the hair, makeup, coloring and fit is all flawless.

36. Shaq Nichole says:

Love Balmain, Love Zoe and Love her makeup!!!

37. ShrenAKO says:

I think the original dress was better. That white long sheer piece isn’t working for me. The back view wasn’t so bad though.

38. fayva1 says:

Joan Rivers is gonna have a BLAST with this dress on Friday night…….lol…….by the way Zoe you committed shoecide hun smh…..

39. Tina says:

I love her figure. She has such a beautiful body.