August 23rd, 2011
Beauty, Hair
4 Hairstyles to Try Before Summer Ends
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Ahhh—-the summer. Long days, easy breezy nights. It’s all coming to an end, but before it does let’s give these four summer hairdos (many of which can totally transition to fall) a last hurrah.

1. The top knot.

You couldn’t scroll through a personal style blog without seeing a top knot and within reason. The style brings attention to your cheekbones and neck plus it looks effortlessly chic. If you have shoulder length or longer hair of any texture, fashion your strands atop the head and secure with seamless hair bands. Keep it a little messy to make it authentic and if you have to stuff your puff a little, I won’t tell if you don’t ;)

P.S. top knots are perfect opportunities to add a vibrant blush color on those cheeks *stands high on blush soapbox*

2. A messy roller set.

Hit the salon (or DIY) and have the hair set on 1/2 inch or less rollers (the smaller the rod the tighter the curl). Sit under a hooded dryer (grab a book—The Help is a pretty good read so far–I’m up to page 326). Once you’re dry, finger comb the hair to your desired look. Fear not if the hair doesn’t come out exactly as planned–your best hair days will come as the curls begin to drop.

P.S. Be sure the hair is saturated with water and some setting lotion to ensure the best curl. Add a little hair serum to the ends to help prevent frizzing. This is also a great style for those transitioning from a relaxer.

3. A pop of color on a precision cut.

If you have short cut, jazz it up with a pop of red or honey-blonde. You don’t even have to fully commit to color—not with clip-in bangs making it easy for you to pop your color in and pop it right out.

4. Beach waves on natural hair.

In any downtime I find, I’ve taken to watching Youtube as if it were cable television. On a recent episode, I came across user Naptural85′s “Beach Wave” tutorial video. Check it out:

If you can’t see the embedded video above, click here.

Beach waves on relaxed or transitioning hair is a cinch—simply dampen hair and either braid or twist it up until completely dry then undo and finger comb. For locs, try setting your hair on flexi rollers similar to these.

What were your favorite hairstyles this summer?

Posted In
16 comments

16 Responses to “4 Hairstyles to Try Before Summer Ends”

1. Stephnaie says:

Naptural85 is my favorite natural hair channel of the tube. She gives good advice and is very honest about natural hair

2. Alyssa says:

Naptural85 is my number one stop during youtube channel surfing. lol Seriously, love all her videos and I’ve caught myself watching them more than once, even though I can’t do any of her styles yet. What’s wrong with me?

3. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

Alyssa- nothing is wrong with you. That girl is a wizard, like Hogwarts-style, and she just won’t tell us. I’ve been trying to get my natural hair to beach wave all summer! And the top knot with the Zooey Deschanel bang is my go to for fall!

4. dyshaun says:

Naptural85 is my fav as well….and i wanna put some heat to these kinks for that top know.. *wishful*

5. Loving the beach wave hairdo

6. Miss Moon says:

I’ve tried the beach waves at least four times this summer…. three times they came out looking great… the fourth time? Not so much… I think it’s a matter of practice to really get the technique down.

7. @velvetpout says:

I’m doing a messy rollerset today #simple&chic

8. Crystal says:

everytime i wear my hair like rihanna…it doesn’t stay. i guess i’m too lazy to pin curl every night. *sigh*

9. Cara says:

The top knot was my signature style for the summer. Wore it to work and wore it for a night on the town sometimes. Quick and easy!

10. The top knot is effortless :)

11. Mona L says:

She has a beautiful head of hair but not for Natural beach waves I think it wouldve been a better look for her to do the messy rollerset #imjustsaying

12. binks says:

Naptural85 is amazing love her hair. Since her hair is natural of course her beach waves are going to be different from that of a person who straightens their hair to get the look. But all the options are great ones

13. Diggs says:

I love this beach wave style on hear. My hair is a little shorter than hers, but I’ve been meaning to try this anyway!

14. DoubleR says:

I have zero hair skills…my top knot always looks disastrous. :-( I’m gonna keep at it though! Practice makes perfect.

15. Englishvers says:

I wear my hair natural and the top knot is the best for me. Simple and functional. Must have a peek at Naptural85. Was unknown to be before.

16. Marthe says:

Oh, I just WISH I had such beautiful natural hair like you all have… I’m a white girl with dreadlocks but i dream of having this beautiful puffy black cute hair :-) I’m jealous!