July 20th, 2011
Celebrity Style, Style File
Style File: VH1′s Single Ladies
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Readers have been clamoring for looks from VH1′s Single Ladies ever since the show hit the small screen. Positioned as the urban Sex And The City, VH1′s fashionable Single Ladies pick up where Samantha, Miranda, Charlotte, and Carrie left off, with Val, Keisha, and April twirling in gold shorts, blue Louboutins, and saucy strapless snow white frocks.

While on set stylist Anthony Williams creates most of the looks by combining vintage pieces (like the cut out white vintage Thierry Mugler dress Val wore on the last episode) or custom pieces (think pink top and green bow skirt cut from Carolina Herrera fabric), we can still help you get the look of a few of your fave new female characters.

Val, the protagonist, is a New York City transplant to Atlanta. While she holds on to her classic New York City chic style, she adds a Southern twist with select draped and flowing pieces.

Smart silhouettes and standout accessories are a must for any New Yorker in warm weather. Since there’s less to wear in the heat, bold shoes and jewelry are a must.

Keisha, the sexpot of the group, is a showstopper in every sense of the word. From her bubbly personality to her style of dress, she’s the chick who’s always going to get noticed.

Dramatic shapes and patterns are the name of the game for this fashionista. If it’s unexpected (or particularly figure-hugging), Keisha will rock it!

April is constantly working, so her outfits skew professional and conservative. You can often find her in authoritative but fun suits, punched up by brightly colored blazers.

When she’s not working, April is a regular southern belle, with a relatively simple and chic personal style.

What do you guys think? Have you been loving Single Ladies style so far?

Photos courtesy of VH1

~Jihan

Posted In
93 comments

93 Responses to “Style File: VH1′s Single Ladies”

1. i’m sorry. i can’t help it. i love this f’n show. i dunno if it’s the outfits, the hairstyles (even though some of those lacefronts are TERRIBLE), the jewelry, or the fact that we finally get to see such beautiful Black women on tv regularly.

whatever it is, i dig it.

2. Ms. Cheeks says:

I would love to know who designed the distressed jeans that Val wore in one episode with the off the shoulder white top. I loved everything about that look.

3. Allie says:

I love this show and just wrote a blog post about the fashion yesterday. I love how you added examples of clothes each character would wear. Great work Jihan!

4. Alicia says:

I’ve liked every outfit that Val has worn on the show. Her pieces are unique and eyecatching. I was wondering who the stylist was on the show.

5. Apple says:

Val is definitely the best dressed on this show

6. Courtney says:

I love this show…the fashion is on point…there are so many looks I want from each episode I can’t even keep count.

7. Courtney says:

@Apple I agree!!!

8. Miss Smith says:

Major props to Anthony Williams for graduating from my alma mater (University of Alabama)! We always knew he’d go on to do great things! I was a little skeptical of Single Ladies when it premiered but it’s definitely grown on me. Although the poor acting is sometimes laughable, I actually look forward to Monday nights now. I can get my fashion fix!

9. Miss Smith says:

And I was DROOLING over that vintage Mugler dress!!!

10. Glamorous Goddess says:

Yes, Val looks are always on point. I watch Single Ladies to see what Val, will wear next.

11. Jada King says:

Finally!!!!!! I love everything about Val’s wardrobe. I already found two of her outfits but tryna get the pink and green outfit…was that a bow belt or skirt with a bow attached???

12. Jackie says:

This post made my day ! lol, I LOVE this show.
    @Jada the bow belt and skirt aren’t attached. The stylist explained that look in the extra video clips on vh1.com . That outfit was so cute though!

13. Angelica says:

Jihan, I really enjoyed reading your breakdown of each character’s personality and background, and how that reflects in their individual style. Hope to read more from you!

14. Jes says:

I cannot get behind this show. The fashion may be great (props to Anthony Williams) but I refuse to sit through bad tv. The acting is terrible, the hair is ridiculous (LisaRaye’s lacefronts, anyone?) and the plot is just annoying.

15. Zeinabou says:

I love the way Val dresses, I haven’t seen a bad thing on her… and that green top and purple skirt piece was TO DIE FOR. she kills it.

16. Dom says:

Not my favorite show, but I turn it on when I can. The acting is pretty bad.

Nice post though. The ladies do have great style!

17. I loooved that bow skirt & top Val had on the last episode!

18. BOOBOO says:

I agree wit Dom. LisaRaye acting is sooo horrible but i jus love how Val dresses. April makes it more believable. Hopefully next season LisaRaye will have had sum acting classes n do better

19. Martinique_Fr says:

OMG the fashion on that show is so on point… I watch the episodes over and over just absorb the various looks. I applaud the stylist for “Single Ladies”.

20. GerieeB says:

love love love this show!! as a fashion student i cant get enough of vals peices…and both val and kesh still lukin yuum for their age…I pray they get this show international…in london speciallly…!

21. alice says:

i love this show!!! all of the characters are very fashionable. my favorite look so far is val’s pink top, green skirt ensemble paired with cobalt blue heels and cluch from the last episode. i’d love to know who made the skirt.

22. alice says:

i love this show!!! the cast is very chic. my favorite look so far is val’s pink top, green skirt ensemble paired with cobalt blue heels and cluch from the last episode. i’d love to know who made the skirt.

23. binks says:

Still on the fence about the show but I do love the style especially Val’s but some of these selections are giving me life especially the blue A. McQueen shoes…*drools*

24. Sxy Dread says:

Lisa Raye’s acting makes my head hurt but I swear the fashions and the men in the show are what keeps me watching. that Thierry dress was AMAZING and let’s not even talk about the pink top and green skirt. I was having palpitations!

25. Frost says:

I know I sent in a mail bomb a couple of weeks back regarding an outfit Val wore but it wasn’t selected :(

It was a white blouse like top that Val wore during the…. 2nd or 3rd episode I think and it was while she was at the Cam’ron video shoot. Does anyone know what brand that top was??

26. Bronze says:

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong to link this show to Sex in the City. It is nothing like it. It is urban, yes but in a league of its own.

Due to popular demand (by me of course). I hounded S.L. to have the former Project Runway contestant, Anthony L. Williams to have a fashion tell-all segment after the show; which they did. He is doing a great job. The fashion is on point and it is just too good 2 b true; black actress wearing vintage and designer……………I musta’ died.

27. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

I feel like I missed a very important fashion moment with the pink/green/cobalt blue color blocking that Val wore. Can I get a pic?! My fav is the Giambattista Valli structured tutu dress with the leggings she had on when she went off on Derek!

28. Nunyabizniz says:

I watch the show regularly although the acting always makes me want to throw a tantrum like a fat kid who doesn’t understand that it is not financially possible to stop by every Krispy Kreme store on the way to school.
    Anywho, I looove Val and April’ style… as for Diamond, I mean Keisha, in the evening, I always want to ask “what time are you going to work girl?” SMH

29. Miss Rina says:

I love val’s style however they need to legnthen the hem line on some of her outfits.

They need to step Keishas game all the way up.

April needs a new lacefront.

Minus my constructive critisism I can say that I love the show and what these woman stand for.

30. RhapsoDST says:

I have been waiting on this post!!!! Thank you so much :)

31. sylvie says:

charlotte olympia shoes are just the BUSINESS!!!

32. sun.kissed says:

Loves Val’s style. She is the best dressed by far. Anthony outdid himself with the green and pink number with the blue shoes??? HOT!

33. pyt says:

@jadaking wear did you find anything val had on….Please share!!! ASAP! LOL

34. KK says:

Love this show I could care less if some say the writing and acting is terrible oh well its an southern urban sex and the city and I’m so glad you posted th!

35. Bribri says:

Loveeeeeeeee the fashion on this shoe. Val’s style is impeccable!

36. Bronze says:

I love that episode where the cop yells, “Turn that crap off!”

37. Val always looks ravishing

38. Crystal says:

definitely love val’s wardrobe but this show is predictable and poorly written.

39. Savage says:

I do indeed hate this show with a burning passion, BUT to hate an actual meant to be scripted program w a majority black cast that’s not a “meet the brown’s jesus come pick me up oh lawd” type format is refreshing even when its loaded w bad acting. I turn it on, put it on mute, and read just to help boost the ratings. lol (i’m dead serious)

40. Alexis says:

Val/Stacy has worn my blue louboutins 4 times already on the show… I don’t mind it though she gives me ideas… Love the show… Great POST @alexislovesme

41. LuLue says:

Val style is so classy chic and understatedly bold and sexy. totally in love with her style….i am taking notes :-)

42. dyshaun says:

This show is written exactly like sex n the city was…predicatable, what would you do type notions.

Sheesh. They never pretended to be Dateline!

LOVE THEIR CLOTHES!

43. kameela says:

the white dress val have on is hawt where could i find one

44. michele says:

I also think val dresses the best, love her white suits.
    as far as the acting bashing, I think Stacy Dash has always brought it, LisaRaye – shaky at first but getting better, as is Charity Shea. The guy that plays her soon to be ex, bad actor. D.B. Woodside is a good actor.
    What I do like about the show is that it shows black and interracial relationships AND its not stereotypical. While the acting isn’t Oscar worthy -its still a fun show to watch and I’m entertained.

45. fly won says:

love love love the show!!! One of my goals is to get one of my vintage finds on there!

46. Humble_DIVA says:

I lovveee the show and I’m curvy like Kesha so i’m always looking forward to seeing her next dress! Val’s style is on point always! And I want to take ALL of April’s blazers!

47. [...] StyleListJake Paltrow on Directing Gwyneth in ‘The Good Night’ — New York …Style File: VH1′s Single Ladies « The Fashion Bomb Blog …deviantART: where ART meets application!Maria Menounos Bikini Malfunction while Playing Football [...]

48. Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was
    wondering your situation; we have developed
    some nice practices and we are looking to trade methods
    with others, be sure to shoot me an email if interested.

49. sex says:

This website was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally
    I have found something which helped me. Kudos!

50. Wow, that’s what I was searching for, what a material! existing here at this webpage, thanks admin of this site.

fabulous-looks-of-the-day-russell-simmons-lee-kids