July 19th, 2011
Black Designers, Cool Online Find, Fashion News, Indie Designer
Cool Online Find: Loud Culture

I was recently alerted to Loud Culture (www.loud-culture.com), a UK based line of supremely feminine separates fashioned out of Ankara fabric:

Created by recent graduates Abi Fashesin and Ashley- Rae Tapping, the line combines vibrant African prints with everyday wear.

Though many contemporary design houses profess to do just that, Loud Culture asserts its own aesthetic with signature bustier bandeaus and tops, high waisted pants, and prim A-line dresses.

Prices range from £15 (approx $24) for a bowtie to £80 (approx $129) for a dress.

Check out the making of their lookbook here:

What do you think?
Cool Online Find or Been There Done That?
See more at www.loud-culture.com.

53 Responses to “Cool Online Find: Loud Culture”

1. Claridge says:

looks exactly like a boxing kitten to me. still cute though.

2. Tenessa says:

luuuv ittt

3. ronnie says:

cute!!

4. MIMI says:

@Claridge I was thinking the same thing!

5. Angie says:

I loveeee this…I’m from the UK and I’ve never heard of this brand before..DOPE

6. Fieldsofdreamz says:

Very cute!! <3

7. Fashionbum82 says:

All I see is Boxing kitten..

8. Armani says:

lovin the bras and high waists dress is cool too..Glad to see traditional fabric made in to something we can rock in the club!!!

9. Joli says:

Who came up with the idea to mix leather with Anakara pure genius never seen anything like this before…Great post FashionBomb!!

10. Keisha RM says:

Fierccccceeeeeeeeeeee

11. I have the prints and need a designer fashion house to feature this rare eclectic mosaic style I call reflections on fabric and models of course…the website http://www.socialartistgroup.org is just a tease.
    I am looking to bring a revolution to the printed fabric scene soon!

12. LuvRhiRhi says:

Whos marketing the brand..They need to get hold of Rhi Rhi..Could defo see her rockin this.

13. Julie says:

Well done Ash and Abz… This is u two all over I know u two will go far..Nothing but different than whats out there proud of u x

14. Crystal says:

oh i would so rock this on vacation!

15. ladyluo says:

I have to agree. Boxing Kitten kept popping up in my head. I do like the skirt though

16. NAIJA VIX. says:

smh…i really don’t understand why people keep bringing up BOXING KITTEN!!! boxing kitten was not, is not and will never be the first to use ankara print with contemporary styles smh. Africans have been doing this wayyy before Boxing Kitten surfaced. Nonetheless, I like this collection.

17. Emily says:

This is dopery..African print is major worldwide not just BK and LOUD… Smartest move anyone has ever done loving the high waisted knicks and buttons

18. Bee says:

@NaijaVix I agree… Anakra fabric is traditional fabric used for decades so theres no comparision..Google Anakra and see what comes up… Cute collection ladies…I’m Ghanian and I love what you’ve done..

19. whatevs says:

isn’t this just a rip off/swaggering jacking boxing kitten…

20. Fashionista Bev says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE

21. Becca L says:

We should be embracing new talent.. Fresh young and couture like.. Too Cute

22. Purple says:

I completely agree with you, NAIJA VIX.You can also get this made back home for like $20.00.

23. Sydney says:

It may be like Boxing Kitten, but at half the price AND they carry larger sizes. I’m sold.

24. DeipaHart says:

Cute line…I love it specially out here in Malibu need something like this – culture embracing- with a cute couture twist

25. Rhianna UK says:

UK stand up – Well done

26. timabeama says:

African Prints! I love it.

27. Marsha D says:

Concept is GREAT but deifinitely not original…I live in BK and as a designer myself I’ve either used the same concept or have seen it over and over….boxing kitten didn’t originate this…my mom used to make funky stuff like this for us back in the 80′s…and I’m sure she wasn’t event the first. Wont knock the work though…kudos for a super cute collection.

28. Cheri V says:

Love love love this line. My first grown up paycheck will be fully devoted to this line, Jeffrey Campbell shoes and a Michael Kors bag….smh

29. GerieeB says:

love love love!!! my designs are similar but edgier..cnt wait to gt my stuff out there and join the ankara massive!!! such an expressive and confident fabric to wear!

30. Wow, loud indeed. Those prints are very beautiful, but not everyone will be able to pull this off.

31. Thanx everyone for ur comments good and bad we are greatful.. Ankara fabric has been used for decades and after being forced to wear the prints to family functions, mixing the fabric with leather, velvet and buttons has worked and in the UK it’s got a buzz.. Fashion Bomb Daily have given us the platform for us to do this in the USA and we are forever grateful… If ur a new designer wanting advise feel free to hit us up..

Ash and Abz LOUDCulture

Like our page also if u have time x

32. Alexis says:

Looks kind of like boxing kitten

33. Jessie says:

Hey girls just seen ur blog post on ur website.. Well done girlies.. NO it doesn’t look like BK its Ankra fabric which is common traditional fabric research Ankra fabric and educate urselves… Peace

34. Bella Maffia says:

Londons fineeessst – Hope to c this at London Fashion Week!

35. Kelly Kellz says:

LOVE IT!!!Proud to be from the UK and Nigerian at that

36. Alison NY says:

The answer to the question is Yes I do think this is a cool fashion find – This is the UK we’re talking about and props if this is selling out there 2. Over here there’s a few who have used African print I agree, including my mom but not like this. Its edgy and fly!

37. sun.kissed says:

Boxing Kitten Part 18.

38. Bajan Beauty says:

Sexy but cool..Definately work it on da beach #work

39. Chyna chyn says:

Cute swag UK we in this!

40. I wouldn’t say it’s the case of boxing kitten. Ankara Fabric is used to make clothes. It was mainly used for evening wear back in the day. Now people are making it work worldwide with a variety of looks to rock day and night.
    AFRICA IS IN FASHION!!

Loud Culture have defo got some fab pieces on board.

41. [...] But LOUD Culture is cool. Spotted at The Fashion Bomb. [...]

42. Nickieluv says:

Love it! Big up to the Sisters taking matters into their own hands. Will definitely support …ONE LOVE.

Killa !!!!!! LOVE IT !!!!!!!

44. Tiffany says:

This is very nice. Very polished and put together.

looks like they copied right off boxing kitten

46. Malia says:

UK stand up .Ankara fabric is doin its thing.How is this similar to Boxing Kitten..Appreciate some may not know about African Culture but I’ve never seen this concept with contemp fab b4!!

Cute collection and well done

47. Fashionista Beena says:

I can’t wait to finish my degree… Well put together and complimentary to the figure LOVE THIS

48. [...] love the rich colors and patterns of traditional west African clothing. While reading the Fashion Bomba few days ago, I discovered this UK based line of African Contemporary separates. Loud Culture was [...]