July 13th, 2011
Beauty
Beauty Query: Carnival Makeup
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Fashion Bomb reader Sade writes in asking, “My name is Sade and I’m a proud West Indian who will be playing Mas for the first time this summer! If you don’t know what that is (although Claire might ;]) it’s very similar to the Carnival that takes place in Brazil. There’s lots of music, elaborate costumes, and dancing in the hot sun! Anyway, I want to try a dramatic, yet fun make up look, but I’m not sure where to start. Also, I’m sure to get sweaty, so is there any recommendations you can give me for good waterproof foundation, eye shadow, etc?

Sade…

Wey–wey—wey–wait—just because I last played mas during Kiddie Carnival in 1989 ent mean I don’t know what carnival is! scheupsssssssssssss.

Anyway, the makeup look would greatly depend on what your band colors are and what your costume looks like. Your best bet no matter what is to center your look around glitter, bright colors (find out how to come up with great color combos here), and a vivid imagination. Carnival makeup can go from very pretty to very avant garde so my suggestion is to just have fun.

As for waterproof makeup, for me no one does it better than Make Up For Ever who is the official makeup sponsor of Mercedes Benz Swim Fashion Week. Synchronized swimmers who want to look cute after their relay wear MUFE, too. From the Aqua Cream which comes in shades for eyeshadow, cheek color, and lip color to the rainbow colors that Aqua Liner comes in, you’re pretty much all set with all of their waterproof products. We discussed them here so be sure to get a refresher.

My homey Ameritrini on Youtube has a makeup tutorial (if the video doesn’t show up click here) on a cute “mask” look:

And just for fun:

awww!

Have fun, Sade! :D

Posted In
20 comments

20 Responses to “Beauty Query: Carnival Makeup”

1. Very beautiful! I hope to make it to Carnival one day!

2. Cherokee says:

Great, great, great post Danielle for all us Caribbean gyals and many who are going to Carnival just to have a great time and not jumpin mas. The pics are gorgeous. Belizean all day, I BON DE!!!! LOL

3. CaKes says:

Perfect timing ! Antigua’s carnival starts end of this month! Can’t wait to go home and check it out! Post made my day!

4. Jihan says:

Holla back west indian massive! JA + Trini right here! (pull uuuuupppppp!)

5. Gemini says:

Don’t they have professional make-up for people participating in Carnival?? Oh and Rihanna did something to her nose she looks different now a days.

6. KellieVanGlam says:

Great post Danielle! Ahhh, I’d love to go back home. Big up Bajan massive!!!

7. Simms says:

More and more I discover why I love this site, then, now and forever after – it’s all the WI flavor!!
    Trini to the BONE!
    Great tips Danielle – will be sure to send in my pics in C2K12 come February!

8. llehsal says:

@ Gemini, yes they do have professional makeup. However, after you have spent thousands (of trini dollars) on a costume and other flakes, many people prefer to do their makeup on their own. To have someone do your makeup can run you a bit of cash especially if you go with a popular MUA. If you meant professional as how they have theatre and stage makeup, I’m not sure about that.

9. MzNappyTrini says:

Woi Woi!!! I loved this site before. i LURVEEE this site now. Trinis like salt, they in every damn thing!!! lol great tips Danielle and i literally loled at ‘muddah and faddah’ lol

10. IslandLuv says:

This is my all time favorite post. Lol. I see the tribe costume/models.
    Depending on the band they offer make up artist at their mass camp. Karma, Ramajay, or sesame Flyers.
    I won’t play mass in NY this year. Will play in Miami and fingers crossed for Trini.

11. Empress says:

All WEST INDIANS STAND UP!..Love this post..being West Indian…Jamaican to be exact..Won’t be playing Mas in NY ..but I want to go for Miami..and would love to go for TNT…The ladies look beautiful…Rhi Rhi looked so cute with her Bajan self…

12. Cheri V says:

JA ALL DAY EVERYDAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPP!!!!
    lol…i had to….

13. My Response says:

Wow!!! Caribana is just around the corner that that orange headpiece is very similar to what i’m going to wear. I’m kinda wondering if they copied it or were ‘inspired’. the colours are the same, the design is strikingly similar. I’m tempted to post a pic but i won’t.

Anyway, thanks so much for this post. i never know how to do my makeup of have anyone to do it for me.

14. Vincy says:

Vincy massive in d place! This is a great post, unfortunately only after Vincy mas 2k11 and DC Carnival, but just in time for Caribana!!

15. Danielle says:

allyuh thanks for the Caribbean love! :)

I will be playing mas this year labor day nyc which I haven’t done in a few years so I’m super excited!!!!!
    JA and Antigua STAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ever since I put my down payment on my costume I been wondering wat I’m gonna do with my face. I think I’m gonna hit up Alcone store in Manhattan and stock up on stage makeup
    NUFF LUV TO ALL MY FELLOW CARIBBEANS!!!!!!

17. saditty says:

Well look at that…this post made my day. Danielle big up yuhself…bess post! lol

18. Danielle says:

But we should all play mas together virtually though…

I’ll start here by chipping in my living room. lol :D

19. soca barbie says:

i just loved how de accent, came out on that response!! lol great post!! i <3 ed how all the west indians represented!!

20. Sade says:

First of all I know i’m late to say thanks, but thanks! Also, Greenz to di world!! Lol anyway, I had to come and look through the archives to find this post because it’s almost carnival time again! Thanks again Danielle!