July 12th, 2011
Cassie, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• Singer/model Cassie poses for Blank Magazine. (Necole Bitchie)

• In a move to fully embrace the power of the internet, Balenciaga has added an e-commerce option on their new website slated to launch this week.  The site is said to be flash-heavy with lots of photos and short films, which is quite a departure from their old, more basic website. Creative Director Nicolas Ghesquière says the goal was to make it “…like a daily magazine now: It has to be really alive.” Check it out! (WWD)

Lil’ Kim poses as a black Barbie in a recent promo shoot. Hmm… (Necole Bitchie)

Kate Spade, late to the designer collaboration party, links up with Current/Elliott denim design team to create a capsule collection of bags ranging from $245 to $1295. This is an admittedly strange collabo, as Kate Spade is known for her WASP-y aesthetic, and Current/Elliott is more California cool. It will be interesting to see what kind of weirdly fabulous hybrid bags the two will release in August. (Stylelist)

• Fashion insiders can barely contain themselves over Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen‘s new handbag collection for The Row. They toted two samples of the bags along with them at last month’s CFDA awards. From what I see, I don’t get the fuss. I can’t even count how many hipsters in NYC I’ve seen with those bags, purchased at the Salvation Army. Those Olsens aren’t getting a dime from me, what about you? (The Window)

• Trying to pull off that “killed in a war-torn country chic” look? Super Fertile‘s Fall/Winter collection has got you covered with pieces in the shapes of gunshot wounds and machete slashes. Creative director (and M.I.A’s older sister) Kali Arulpragasam says the pieces mimic the “butchering and hacking of the throat, head, and ears to portray the inhumanity around the world.” Is it weird that I’m into this? Would you guys wear any of these? (Refinery 29)

~Jihan

24 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Cassie’s Blank Magazine Spread, Lil’ Kim Poses As Black Barbie, and Gunshot Wounds Make For Excellent Jewelry”

1. Courtney says:

I would love to know where Cassie got those pants from!?!

2. sun.kissed says:

Loves Cassie and Kim’s photos. No I won’t be purchasing one of those bags even though I like the Olsen’s line Elizabeth and James. And no to the bullet hole jewelry.

3. Tstar says:

You couldn’t get me to purchase anything from the “Full House.” They always look so unkept. Call it fashion, I call it garbaj. #Youcouldn’tpayme

4. like_really_ray says:

the “Murder” line is brilliant, but its most effective when the full body pieces are worn or if a lot of pieces are worn together. I don’t folks will get the message if just a cocktail ring or a necklace is worn alone.

5. LawyerChic says:

Are the proceeds from Super Fertile’s jewelry going to any cause? If not it kinda seems like exploitation of real suffering around the world. Just my thoughts.

6. zimbabwechic says:

Hmm why don’t we find victims of the brutality of war say in the Congo or Darfur and ask them to comment on the Super Fertile line. Yuckety yuck yuck!! I doubt those who wear it or buy it know what inhumanty is or are bothered by it.

7. misschris says:

Gunshot wound jewelry? How horrifying! I guess anyone who would be “into” this type of jewelry has never had a friend, acquaintance or family member killed by gun like I have. I love the Fashion Bomb blog and I’m glad you guys are reporting on all new things fashion and beauty, but I still believe there is a line that shouldn’t be crossed content-wise, not matter how “cool” or “avant-garde” a certain type of jewelry or clothing might be. You may lose fervent and loyal readers on stuff like this (including me).

8. Miss Moon says:

Kali Arulpragasam and her family (including sister M.I.A.) lived in Sri Lanka during a horrific civil war, so I would not take this jewelry line lightly. M.I.A. is known for speaking out on war (and she is quite vocal and startling with her imagery… see her video for “Born Free” for an example) and I see the line to be her sister’s way of doing the same thing user her chosen medium, jewelry design.

9. Ronnie says:

Cudos Lawyer chic and zimbabewechic!

10. KBS says:

Cassie is giving me young Jada in this shot. I likes.
    No to the Row bags. They’re funky rich, they dont
    need my money
    No to Kim as black barbie…how bout spittin’ a hot 16 or whatever the hell rappers do
    YES to bullet hole jewelry. That will look hot as I step shirtless out of my ride with the matching stick on bullet holes on the door! Next.

11. GerieeB says:

Cassie is really stepping up these days…I love her shoot!…as for kim..no words!!! n the jewellery is unusual and unique I guess lol

12. Empress says:

Cassie is sooo pretty!..
    Call me crazy..but I love Lil Kim plastic surgery after look..I want her nose…To me she has always been the original Black Barbie…but she shouldn’t beef with Nicki over that title!..I mean come on we all know the original Barbie was a white girl!..Lol
    White ppl love The Olsens…they’ll buy anything they make!..Smh

13. llehsal says:

That jewellery is awful.

14. Frost says:

@MissChris — if that jewelry causes you to not come to FB anymore, then you’re not a loyal reader, are you?

It’s part of the FB to report on things that are new and interesting because all because you may not like it, someone else might. And, not to mention, this particular collection does generate discussion and get people talking about something that’s actually important, as opposed to “Ooh… what a hot trend!” or “Wow, Rihanna’s wearing this, gotta have it!”

15. 2 WORDS FOR CASSIE: ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS
    Lil Kim: Looks at her best no bad lace wig in sight
    The jewellery: I’ve seen better. The one all over the chest looks AWFUL!! *SIGH*

16. SheMadeUlook says:

Well all right Kimmy, she looks good . She’s always done the barbie thing not mad at it. *gags at the sight of those Jewelry pics. Casie shoot is dope. The bags were cute but I’ll pass .

17. Mona L says:

Cassie!!!!!!!!

18. Saw something like that row bag in Cheeky Vintage, a super awesome shop I stopped at in Houston. I DO love me some Olsen twins though!

Oh Lil Kim.

19. Alyssa says:

If Lil’ Kim insists on playing “Black Barbie”, can’t she at least have brown eyes or darker color hair to reflect the majority of Black women’s coloring? That said, she looks good…it’s amazing what photoshop will do because she looks less plastic-y here(ironically).

20. MIssRich says:

THAT JEWELRY IS GROSS, IF YOU ASK ME IT JUST GLORIFIES INHUMANITY, BLOOD, AND PEOPLE THAT ARE CUTTERS WOULD PROBABLY LOVE THIS (IMO) AS FAR AS THIS PIC OF LIL KIM BEING “BARBIE” IT’S JUST A HEAD SHOT, AND KIM HAS ALWAYS WORN BLUE CONTACTS AND BLONDE HAIR, THIS IS ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND ITS RIDICULOUS #THATISALL (:

21. MIssRich says:

… OH YEA, I LOVE THE ROLLER MOHAWK ON CASSIE, AND I THIN THE OLSENS PURSES ARE CUTE… (:

22. Courtney says:

@Holly
    Thanks so much.

23. [...] The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Cassie’s Blank Magazine Spread, Lil’ Kim Poses As Black … Jennifer Lopez’s Chanel Spring 2013 Fashion Show White Lace Dress Read more [...]