June 30th, 2011
Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• In “Any ‘Ol Celeb Can Be A Designer” news, born-again fashionisto Dwyane Wade has designed a $20,000 watch in collaboration with luxury watch brand Hublot. Wade says “I wanted the watch to have basketball characteristics. It’s a combination of a lifestyle and a sports watch. You can dress it up or dress it down.” But at the price he’s asking, dressing down might be the only option, as you might not be able to afford food, rent, etc. for a few months after copping it. That thing better come with free diamonds! (NYDN)

Nigel Barker admits he is the only one of the Top Model judges who drinks at the judging table, saying “you need to drink to get through it!” We feel you, Nigel. As it sometimes seems like it takes an hour for Tyra to say “Who is still in the running to become America’s…Next…Top…Model,” I’d want to be sipping some gin and juice too! (The Cut)

• According to Betsey Johnson‘s personal assistant, Stephanie Wagenman, the designer “...has no idea how to use a computer; she’ll say so herself… She doesn’t know how to use the address book on her phone to dial people’s numbers — I tried to show her once, and it was hilarious. She loses her phone all the time, so I have two or three backup phones for her. She’s been pretty good about keeping track of her phone lately, but she does have this one credit card that she lost a total of 56 times.” Nice to know that Betsey Johnson and my 86-year-old grandmother have so much in common. (FWD)

• To all those ladies who say they don’t have female friends, The King B does not approve: “When women don’t have friends, I’m afraid of them… I grew up around women, I believe that we can teach each other so much. I’m always thinking about how unselfish we are and the things we need to hear and how much pressure there is being a woman.” Talk d tings dem, Yaki! (Stylecaster)

• The New York Daily News does it again! Today they feature Brooklyn Fashionistas shopping at Atlantic Terminal, and there is not a bespectacled hipster in sight! It’s refreshing to see street style that doesn’t mimic something you’d see on Refinery29. Ten bucks says that guy on the left is Jamaican.(NYDN)

~Jihan

20 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Dwyane Wade Is A Watch Designer, Betsey Johnson Doesn’t Know How To Use Her Cell Phone, And A Different Approach To Brooklyn Street Style”

1. addikted2fashion says:

20,000 dollar watches? really D.Wade? yeah, thats gonna be really successful in this economy

Why am I not surprised Betsey Johnson is technologically challenged and constantly losing things? I’d be more surprised if she was organized! I love her ditzy persona!

2. yusufswifee says:

agree with beyonce. Who doesn’t have any female friends and hows that working out?

LOL @ 10 bucks that guy is jamaican…LML

4. zimbabwechic says:

I say if you don’t have male friends then I don’t trust you.

5. Simms says:

No offense to Claire (luvs my *sister in my head*) but Jihan keeps nailing it! I come to FB daily 1st thing in the morning like it’s my coffee, and Jihan has just put an espresso shot in this piece!

6. Brooklyn Lady says:

Who buys a $20k watch besides the stinking rich? Why is that even being advertised here? o_O

LOL @Betsy If I lose my phone it’s like a catastrophic event in my life. Everything must stop. Hell I go bonkers when I lose it in my bag. LOL

How can “King” B say that when she has no friends. Like cmon who’s her friends? And please don’t say Kelly or Michelle who both stay doing their own thing abroad.

7. BOOBOO says:

LOL n agreeing wit Brooklyn Lady bout King B..4real who r her friends?!

8. Claire says:

@Simms No offense taken! Jihan is indeed thebomb! Glad to have her on the team. xoxo

9. SxyDread says:

Jihan has me crackin up today. loves her writing! I see you guys stopped by Atlantic center for the pics, nice!

10. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

I’m starting to read some of these posts and mid-way through, think “Jihan wrote this”, and that’s a good thing!

I hope D Wade’s marketing team did some research and has prospective clients/wearers already lined up. Them boys might wanna watch their spending though, the NBA is officially locked. out.

And a woman who can’t keep at least one female friend is someone to be watched very carefully…

11. Caribbelle says:

“talk d tings dem, Yaki!”
    diessssss @ this line. you have a fan in me lol. I love how its easy to spot fellow west indians

12. Mona L says:

Those two people give Brooklyn a bad, bad name. I think they’re secretly from Long Island. I mean the LIRR isssssssssssssss right there!

13. sun.kissed says:

LOL at Betsey, reminds me a few people I know. Still not feeling the Brooklyn style being showcased. SN: @Jihan, you use Yaki a lot in your writing. What does it mean?

14. esme says:

lol, betsy johnson is just befuddled by modern technology. she’s not the only one, but it is kind of funny to see it. as for d. wade, does EVERY third celebrity need a clothing or fashion line, i mean look how most of them have turned out. do we really need any more? as for bk fashionistas, i like the bright colors, but they leave a lot to be desired. and they are DEFINITELY from bk, mona l., lol.

15. [...] Formichetti is pissed. In his V Magazine interview we mentioned a few days ago, he is quoted saying that he “doesn’t work with fat people.” Mr. Formichetti now [...]

16. [...] Formichetti is pissed. In his V Magazine interview we mentioned a few days ago, he is quoted saying that he “doesn’t work with fat people.” Mr. Formichetti now insists he [...]

17. As the article makes me feel very sad.

18. [...] Here’s a look at Dwayne Wade’s King Power watch, designed in collaboration with Hublot. $27,500, and not a single diamond in sight. (Miami New [...]

19. […] Wade is no stranger to design collaborations (he’s collaborated with Hublot on a limited edition watch,) and his latest effort is all about the details. The Miami Heat […]