June 24th, 2011
Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Kim Jones, Men’s style director at Louis Vuitton says he is dedicated to embracing African culture through his designs. In other words, expect more “tribal” prints and photos of white ladies on safari from Louis Vuitton. Because Africa is just an exotic wilderness of a monolith, after all. (NY Times)

• Looking for a dresses your bridesmaids will actually want to wear? Vera Wang‘s collection of bridesmaid’s dresses has arrived at David’s Bridal, and they are very cute and not to mention, affordable. (The Cut)

• Designer Azzedine Alaïa is not afraid of some real talk. In an interview with Virgine magazine, he voiced some strong opinons on friend of black models Karl Lagerfeld.”I don’t like his fashion, his spirit, his attitude. It’s too much caricature. Karl Lagerfeld never touched a pair of scissors in his life. That doesn’t mean that he’s not great, but he’s part of another system.” Let ‘em know, Azzedine! (Virgine)

• The American Medical Association wants to push for a nationwide restriction on the excessive use of photoshop in advertising. Wha-what? How will we ever survive without beauty campaigns picturing women with unattainable physical features? (Jezebel)

Dolce & Gabbana, Prada menswear spring 2012

Giorgio Armani is not a fan of Prada or Dolce and Gabbana. He said the menswear looks they presented this week in Milan are “clownish styles that men don’t wear.” Aww, is Giorgio just upset because looks from both houses made more covers this season than any from his collection? (WWD)

~Jihan

19 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Louis Vuitton Collections to Be ‘Inspired by Africa’, Vera Wang for David’s Bridal, and Azzedine Alaia Isn’t a Karl Lagerfeld Fan”

1. yusufswifee says:

Was in David’s Bridal last weekend (btw, if in the DMV – do not go to the woodbridge location) and there were a couple of young ladies in there trying on VW dresses…very nice.

2. Miss Smith says:

Jihan is funny! And is it bad that I’m kinda loving all this cattyness in the industry? ;)

3. Mona L says:

OMG I SCREAMED!!!!! LOL

4. Marsha says:

A baby elephant swathed in LV looks like African Culture to me! Once I see the giraffes stomping around LV shoes it will be complete.

5. Tasneem says:

LV is getting on my nerves for so many reasons.

6. zimbabwechic says:

LMAO @ Mr. Alaia. Anna Wintour is a hack who relies on ruling through fear rather than any fashion sense or talent. You say all the right things to her she promotes you, the woman cannot handle criticism of any kind, and I have always found Prada to be ridiculous. Nothing they have ever made has ever been attractive to me but Dolce and Gabanna, I adore!

7. hehe says:

@Tasneem I’m so with you on LV. I hate their campaign just as much as I hate their bags

8. Drea says:

You’d think they’d get tired of the same, stale “white lady on safari” imagery. That is not an African focus. They are killing me.

9. Simms says:

Been a reader of this blog from the jump but don’t comment often. Jihan is giving me LIFE with her writing style. I truly appreciate her wit and sarcasm (this most of all as it is my go-to drug of choice). I am sooooo glad that I voted for her as the new intern!!
    Go Jihan!!!

10. somore772 says:

Jihan is awesome she literally brings a sarcastic, comedic lightheartedness to this whole thing lol

11. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

Hiring Jihan was one of the best things Fashion Bomb ever did! You sound like a Voltaire disciple, and fashion is really bringing out the claws this season, huh? Alaia is not a sellout by any means, he cares about the models he works with, and about craft, not mass production and celebrity air kisses. Chanel Couture today reminds me of Miss Haversham out for a morning constitutional, and Karl’s choice of muses is blechh! (Kirsten “I Don’t Know the Meaning of Smile” Dunst) totally turns me off. The only Chanel I own is a boucle jacket and 1.55 bag, both passed down. And I don’t intend on adding to that small collection. As far as Mr. Armani is concerned, maybe he should do what he does best and let Gucci and Prada menswear do them. There are Armani men, and there are Gucci men.

12. Kimber says:

VIVA LA AZZEDINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is my favorite designer of ALL time. He’s always been such an individual in fashion. I covet my mermaid dress from the 90′s, glad you shared his opinion of Karl

13. Y says:

If only that elephant was big enough so it could have stomped on LV for coming up with such a lame campaign. Poor!

14. esme says:

i love seeing white women all dressed up in elements of cultural appropriation! thanks lv!

azzedine alaia: HILARIOUS and so true. lagerfeld is a cartoonish, vapid hack.

15. jj says:

LMAO Jihan is funny and so are the comments in this post.

16. [...] African inspiration Kim Jones said would permeate his collections for Louis Vuitton is translated as predictably as I thought. It is the blue blood on safari, the wealthy London business man stepping into South Africa to see [...]

17. [...] African inspiration Kim Jones said would permeate his collections for Louis Vuitton is translated as predictably as I thought. It is the blue blood on safari, the wealthy London business man stepping into South Africa to see [...]

18. [...] African inspiration Kim Jones said would permeate his collections for Louis Vuitton is translated as predictably as I thought. It is the blue blood on safari, the wealthy London business man stepping into South Africa to see [...]

19. [...] Spring 2012 shows from New York to Paris. Also in this issue is an interview with Azzedine Alaïa (which are always entertaining), fashion maps of New York, London, Paris and Milan, and a “week in the life” photo [...]