June 16th, 2011
Style Inspiration, Vacation, What to Wear, Work Wardrobe
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Company Outing

Teri says, “ I have to go to the lake with my law firm next weekend and I need outfit ideas. Personally, I want to wear a bikini because I love bikinis, but the other girls in my summer class think we should probably go a little more conservative.”
Ah, Teri. I cringe at the thought of going to corporate outings. Sure, you’re supposed to be relaxed, but you can’t truly flaunt your personality–what if you offend the ‘big guys’? I’m with your summer class in saying it’s probably not a good idea to wear a bikini, especially for a day out on the lake with a law firm. You can still look sultry in a one piece–I actually think you should be as covered up as possible!

For this Style Inspiration, I chose a simple striped J.Crew tank, Theory shorts, Marni sunnies, and your choice of YSL wedges or Carvela flats . If you must swim, slip on a cute yet covered halter neck style, like this Alexander McQueen swimsuit.

What do you think?
Look to these celebs for even more corporate summer outing inspiration:

11 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Company Outing”

1. Cmoni says:

I need those YSL wedges like yesterday!! I also think a retro inspired bikini and cover up will be ok as well. My advice is to be prepared with more than one change of clothing. It is always fun to watch co-workers make arses out of themselves, I guarantee there will be at least one..there always is..lol

2. DyShaun says:

Conservatives liken to loosen up too. The men wont notice but the women will be critical (as always)….I think a two piece+ cover would be an option as well. It is a lake after all.

3. BOOBOO says:

Nah stick wit a one-piece if u MUST swim and a wrap. I wouldn’t even swim thou. IDK i guess that is me. I wouldn’t want my co-wrkers, esp a law firm, even thinkin they kno wat i look lik nekkind.

Blake Lively/Rachel Roy look is mos def appropriate and sum wedges.

4. Claire says:

Also a few etiquette notes: Don’t get drunk. Only stay 45 minutes-an hour.
    Remember, don’t mix business with pleasure!! It’s in a party setting, but it’s not a party.

5. binks says:

I say stick to the one piece as well. Even though it is an outing it is still an outing with the people you work with so keep that in mind. But nice selections, Rihanna’s outfit is giving me life! Might try that one for this weekend.

6. Jaz says:

Stick to the one piece- its better to be safe than sorry

7. lola says:

My best friend is a partner at law firm and let me tell you this is not the place to “show out” or “let your hair down” – thats for the partners. As a summer associate this is a time for you to get to know people better in a casual enviroment but you will also be expected to be seen and not heard to some extent.

They (everyone who is not a summer associate) will be watching you like a hawk and judging every little thing you do and dont do. Yes this is a day at the lake but its still part of your evaluation process and how you conduct yourself here will be taken into consideration when they decide who to make offers to or even give recommendations.

That said you can dress conservatively without looking frumpy – JCrew catalogues and the Ralph Lauren website are full of great looks and you can take cues from there. I think RR and the 3rd girl hit the right note for this function, BL’s look is cool but I would make the skirt a smidge longer and wear flats. I would not wear a bathing suit only bc I think it sends the wrong message – not anything sexual but it gives off an aire of familiarity and devil-may-care attitude that may be misconstrued and looked down upon.

Also look around the firm – if its mandatory for women to wear panty hose/no open toe shoes or on any given Friday folks are wearing some version of polos/khakis/topsiders that should give you an indication of what to expect at the lake.

8. lola says:

*sorry if that was too long but I have seen people hurt their careers after going on company outings… listen to what Claire said and do not fall for the banana in the tailpipe ;-)

And whatever you decide to wear own it!

9. Terilili says:

Thanks everyone for the advice! And thanks Claire for the post!
    My firm is in Atlanta, and we’re business casual. The trip to the lake is a family event, so pretty informal. Not to sound naieve, but I really do think they have these events so we can get to know everyone and enjoy ourselves, not to judge, but I suppose I should err on the side of conservative.

I’m loving these one piece, especially the yellow with ruffles. We’re going waterskiing, so I don’t think there’s any way around being seen in a swimsuit short of me wearing a wetsuit.

Thanks so much!

10. Dobe says:

Lola said it all! Great advice, couldn’t have been said any better! :)