June 15th, 2011
Beauty, Hot or Hmm
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Last night the 2nd Annual amfAR Inspiration Gala went down at The Museum of Modern Art in New York City. Some of our favorite celebs were in attendance—let’s take a peak at some of their looks.

Chanel Iman sizzled in honey brown highlights and a smoky eye. Though I like the look, (*in Tyra Banks voice*) something about it doesn’t say “model”. Not that this was a gig or anything….lol.

Alek Wek also came through with her beautiful skin and very minimal makeup look. I kind of wish she would have put something on though…maybe a touch of color on her cheeks since her dress has such a bold pattern.

Recording artist, TV personality, entrepreneur, and former Miss Africa 2008 Nyasha Zimucha was also in attendance. Pretty girl, but the liner is too heavy here and I wish her hair (though it’s a great style) were placed a little further back on her hairline.

Suzanne Engo, celebrity activist and star of the documentary film “I love Africa”, showed her support at the event. Love her lipstick color and her skin looks flawless! I wonder if that amFAR tattoo is real.

Oh, Shontelle. This look could have really gone places with a much better groomed brow, some eyeliner, less dramatic lashes, and some blotting papers. I do love her lip color though.

I was about to give Jennifer Hudson her 10s when I saw this pic because I love the sleek ‘do, angled smoky cat eye and pink lip combo with her white shift dress…

…but then I saw this one with the obvious lace front hairline. *SIGH*. I mean, I don’t even know what to say because this is not a first offense from the vocal powerhouse. Perhaps her hairstylist should stick to pieces that have bangs. Hmm…

And that does it! What do you think of the looks at amFAR?

Images via Getty

28 Responses to “Beauty Hot! or Hmm…: Jennifer Hudson, Chanel Iman, Alek Wek and More at the 2nd Annual amFAR Inspiration Gala”

1. @tyeshawho says:

Oh God . . idk where to begin . .

2. Kimberly says:

This should be “What not to do with makeup and lace wigs” except for Iman. Too over done but gorgeous women otherwise.. Jennifer Hudson’s waist is too die for…

3. BOOBOO says:

Oh MY! the 1st pic of JHud had me SOLD till i scrolled down…smh
    I don’t think i will EVER love the lacefronts…EVER! The glue, the forehead action..its jus not a good look

Chanel Iman is wrking this look! I can tell she is wanting 2 look older and this works! Loving her smokey eye:)

4. Jackie says:

WOW! Chanel Iman looks Gorgeous! J. Hudson, what was she thinking when she looked in the mirror with that lace front?! She’s starting to look aged in the face but I still love her! ;) Nyasha hair looks like she belongs on Jersey Shore.

5. bella says:

everyone in this post looks a MESS except chanel. if you don’t have beyonce money don’t wear lacefronts! they look terrible.

6. MISU MOI says:

I DIDNT THINK CHANEL COULD LOOK ANYMORE GORG UNTIL I SAW THIS PIC. BEYOND BEAUTIFUL
    AND DID SHE GAIN A TINY BIT OF WEIGHT? IT LOOKS GREAT ON HER

7. Wow soo impressed with Chanel Iman’s look and I LOVE the hair.

I also think Alek looked good w/her cornrows

J hud is my girl like the dress but the lace front has got to go! smh

8. sun.kissed says:

Loves Chanel’s new look, she looks like a real person with different hair a tan! Shontell’s pic looks like a street walker’s mug shot after being picked up by the police. J-Hud, why don’t you know better than this by now…

9. Pretty Brown says:

Jennifer’s waist is AMAZING!!…but her face in that second pic is a whole ‘notha story. She looks old and sick!

10. dyshaun says:

Chanel looks smoking ass hot! I am doing all of that this weekend.

11. Miss Smith says:

Lacefronts are killing the beauty of our people! We must put a stop to them.

12. Dobe says:

LMAO @ sun.kissed! What a great way to describe Shontelle’s pic. It’s just all wrong :(
    Chanel looks great!

13. Veronica says:

everyone here except Chanel Iman looks a hot mess

14. Genie says:

I don’t anyone looks “hawt!” All (except Iamn) seem to have either a make up or hair issue . . . I’m just sayin’!

15. zy says:

I have one word for Chanel… HOT. this is the best I’ve ever seen her look and I generally think she’s a gorgeous girl. she’s SMOKIN in this pic.

Alek… *sigh* I just can’t

Shontelle… what in the yellow-undertone hell is this? *smdh*
    J-Hud… her hair stylist needs to be slapped for this foolishness and ALL lace fronts should be put out to pasture already.

16. binks says:

Hmm, hmm and more hmm. Not feeling any makeup look on here and please death to the lace front

17. saddity says:

Jhud and that (( ))….I can’t

18. t says:

Nyasha look like one of my old black barbie dolls.

19. ashley says:

I understand the problem with the lacefronts (glue, hairline, etc), but what is that on shontelle’s head? Answers?

20. TrunkBox says:

love vintage check out the store…

21. sheena says:

WHY IS JENNIFER POSING LIKE THAT! EW

22. star says:

The miss africa nyasha i agree about the hair. i also follow the girl on her blog she claims she is from south africa. i guess for immigration purposes but she is born and bred in zimbabwe. its disgusting when people lie like that

23. DaRiddler says:

Chanel! Chanel! Chanel! Yes Work! But tell me why is Nyasha Zimucha looking like the offspring of Chaka Khan

24. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

Chanel Iman is looking haute! I love the golden glow, the smoky eye, and is homegirl eatin grits now, she looks like she’s filling out some, in all the best ways. Miss Africa…why? Shontelle…tracks showing, really?! And Miss JHud, leave the lacefronts at the door from now on please!

25. lola says:

*there we go with that bad lacefront glue and placement*

On a positive note – I LOVE!!!! Chanel Iman’s look. I work for a company where I have to see her in various stage of undress EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. for hours on end and her “regular” look bores me to tears!!! lol

I’m so glad she took a risk and changed it up – even if it was for just one night. Who knows – maybe she’ll keep it and I’ll have something lively to look at very soon :-)

26. ddsweet says:

Shontelle’s hair…smh

27. mj says:

Am i the only one who thinks that Shontelle looks like a darker version of Natalie Nunn???? =S

28. loveletters says:

i like chanel iman’s look. m first thought about her look was wow she looks like an everyday girl here…lol. i love seeing alek wek’s looks. she is beautiful as always…