June 10th, 2011
Concert, Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to the Essence Music Festival

Nikki says, “I was wondering if your fabulous team could put together a post about what to wear to the Essence Festival this year. As you know there will be Louisiana heat, a lot of walking, and spirits galore. I am also plus sized, so a few options there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!”
Hey Nikki! I’ve actually never been to the Essence Music Festival (and unfortunately don’t think I’m going this year), but I presume that as for any summer concert, your first priorities are comfort and style. Stand apart from the crowd in an eye-catching pink dress like this option by Mara Hoffman in silk chiffon. Add a bit of flair with a funky necklace and colored sunnies.

Bring along a cute tote to stash all your essentials, and finish the look off with a white mani/pedi (you’ll love it). Get the options above plus more below:

And for my plus size sistas:

Are you guys going to the Essence Music Festival? What do you think of the look?
See a few examples of Essence Music Festival street style here:

See more at www.essence.com.

Posted In
15 comments

15 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to the Essence Music Festival”

1. GoldiKo says:

That’s a boss outfit. I love how vibrant it looks!

2. bj says:

Where can I find this necklace?

This is a great post but the festival is actually indoors.

4. Claire says:

@Anonymous Either way it’ll be hot…so hopefully this outfit will still work!

@Claire I agree it will be hot, I’m a New Orleans resident and faithful Essence fest attendee. The outfits are great but I was just thinking that some of them are a little to daytime-y. They would work very well at the daytime festivities that Essence holds but at night the festival is in the Superdome and it’s more like a concert setting rather than a outdoor festival setting. Nonetheless, thanks alot for this post!

6. missb says:

@ GoldiKo I concur !

7. Claire says:

Perhaps I will update with a nighttime look. Thanks for the insight:)

8. Dobe says:

That turquiose necklace is awesome! Love my MK watches, as well!

9. tasha says:

loving these looks. all the women look amazing.

10. Nikki says:

Thank you sooo much Claire!!! I was super excited when I saw this post. This will be my first time attending Essence and I hear they do it up for the concerts. My husband has decided to wear a linen suit complete with a bowtie and pocket square and I want to look up to par..lol… I look forward to the night time post :}

11. My Response says:

oh no i was looking froward to purchasing that dress (depending on the price of course) :-(

12. MsBossyMaineC says:

I really like the all white with Orange, it’s simple yet really cute!!… Thanks for the ideas

13. Just Me says:

This year is my first year going! I’m super excited! Thanks for the suggestions!

14. [...] more styling ideas, take a peek at What to Wear to the Essence Music Festival archives here and here. Until next [...]

15. [...] more styling ideas, take a peek at What to Wear to the Essence Music Festival archives here and here. Until next [...]