June 9th, 2011
Beauty, Trend
5 Spring/Summer 2011 Beauty Trends
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Summer solstice is approaching, ladies! Is your beauty arsenal properly stocked for some of the hottest trends in makeup and hair? Check out my top five spring/summer beauty trends to make sure you’re ready.

1. Full on Brights. If you love color (and you should because color looks soooo great on all shades of brown skin), then I bet you’ll love this trend. Instead of playing it on the safer side with just one vivid hue, say on the eyes, kick it up by pairing a contrasting bright on the lips, too.

Having trouble coming up with the perfect combo? Check out our post on combining colors.

2. Bronzer on Brown Skin. Yes, we’re already brown but bronzer adds beautiful warmth and depth to the skin. Ever apply your foundation and felt your face looked “flat”? Jazz up that baby with some bronzer around the temples, on the hollows of the cheeks, and on the jaw line. You can even use it to contour. And if you really want to knock ‘em dead, apply your bronzer on the cheeks and then a bright coral or pink blush and POW! Cheekbones for D-A-Y-S.

Tip: Covergirl Queen Collection has three beautiful bronzers that really stand out on all shades of brown.

3. Coral Cheeks. Summer is a time where we want to wear as little makeup as possible, but blush is a must. A bright coral blush will give the skin a gorgeous glow and when applied correctly with a contour, can also slim the face.

Summer blush tip: apply a creme blush under your powder blush in similar shades to get the color to pop and last longer under the sun’s rays.

4. No-fuss Hair. Whether you’re natural, relaxed, or wearing a weave nixing all the heavy-duty styling will give you a carefree “I naturally look this good” look. If you have curly/kinky hair play with your texture with wash n’ gos or twist outs. If you’re relaxed lay off the flat irons; wrapping your hair at night and combing through in the morning can get you a similar effect. All hairstyles should play with cute hair accessories and hats.

5. Bright Lips. Actually, when are these ever not “in”? The color to try this summer though are shades of coral and orange. For tips check out Orange is the New Red and Coral Lipstick.

What beauty trends are you trying this summer?

~Danielle

Posted In
11 comments

11 Responses to “5 Spring/Summer 2011 Beauty Trends”

1. Ambrose says:

I really wanna try some orange lipstick and find a great shade of blush.

2. BOOBOO says:

I just got my nails/toes painted lik Chanel (1st pic). They r summertime fresh!!
    Im all about the no fuss hair. I can’t wait 2 take my weave out this wkend. Its 2 dang HOTTT out!

3. Gemini says:

Selita Ebanks is Gorgeous!!! I love relaxed or textured hair it works better for me. I love bold colors that pop that works really well w/ my skin tone.

4. binks says:

The full bright on I will have to try, I’ am already doing the bright nails for the summer so might as well attempt it with makeup

5. Cmoni says:

Great post. I am on the hunt for an orange lipstick, a bright liner and new bronzer..
    Selita is my girl crush, I seriously <3 her..lol

6. jihan says:

I wanna try orange lips. I’ve actually never done them, and now that I have some colour on my face (no more winter yellow cheeks), I think I can pull them off!

7. drgoddess says:

I am also looking for some orange lipsticks! I have purchased a few but not really satisfied with how they look.
    Danielle, can you put up some examples of different skin tones with orange lipstick, similar to how you do with nude lipsticks.

8. misschris2025 says:

My favorite orange-red lipsticks are Vera Moore Lipstick in Diva Orange (Duane Reade Look Boutique NYC or Vera Moore’s website) and Hourglass Lipstick in Aura (Sephora).

They’re creamy, long-lasting and are extremely flattering on darker skintones. I always get compliments when I wear one of these two shades, they’re perfect if you wanna be on trend this summer :)

9. Danielle says:

@drgoddess Here ya go: http://fashionbombdaily.com/2010/03/11/beauty-bomb-orange-is-the-new-red/

There isn’t a whole lot of diversity in oranges as there are with say reds and nudes. I’m a MAC NW47 and I like deeper red-oranges like MAC Lady Danger but even with that I still add a little Ruby Woo to it for more redness…lol.

10. tommykimon says:

I want to try the orange lips just a tad bit nervous that it will look crazy on me. I also been wanting to try bronzer but I’m worried I may not apply it correctly. I’m very minimum on my makeup wear, Just eyeshadow, mascara and lipgloss that’s it.