May 2nd, 2011
Celebrity Style, Hot or Hmm, Vogue

Tonight models, editors, and members of the entertainment industry gathered for one of the premiere fashion events of the year: the Costume Institute Gala At The Metropolitan Museum Of Art. This year’s festivities paid tribute to Alexander McQueen, the cutting edge British designer who suddenly committed suicide last year to the dismay of scores of friends and fans. Guests showed up determined to stunt–and while most did, some disappointed.

Let’s take a look at the best and the worst looks of the night:

Kerry Washington
mastered the art of the cut out in a mint green Escada dress accented by diamond jewels. The dress says enough on its own, though I love the touch of contrasting pink lipstick and bouncy hair. Hot!

Solange Knowles opted for a Fall 2011 green, white, and navy patterned Dries Van Noten dress played up by heavily kohled eyes, her signature Afro, and Jean-Michel Cazabat heels. I’m a sucker for a smile, so am only hmm’ing at the Zoolander gaze. The overall ensemble is super hot!

Ciara left her duties as Givenchy’s muse by the wayside, smoldering in an ombre gown by Prabal Gurung. Her Lorraine Schwartz black diamond and sapphire mesh bracelets seem a little heavy given the frothiness of the gown, but I think Ciara’s dress is dreamy. Again, I’m not a fan of her giving so much ‘face.’ It’s ok to smile at a fashion event, Cici! Hot!

Alicia Keys chose a belted chocolate Givenchy gown accented by a crocodile jacket and matching crocodile clutch. The leather jacket looked more suited for a less glitzy red carpet, and why such a dull tone? Hmm, I would’ve liked to see either a vibrant color, shiny metallic, or classic black. This brown hue did nothing to uplift Keys’s natural beauty.

Speaking of color…va va voom! Eva Mendes looked electric in a royal blue one shoulder pleated Stella McCartney gown. The diamond earrings? The gold belt? Perfection.

Rihanna represented in a one shoulder lace gown by Stella McCartney, accented by strappy sandals and Wilfredo Rosado jewels. The dress marries saucy and sophisticated and I must say I’m loving her long luxurious braid. The berry lip and turquoise earrings are nice touches.

Model Chanel Iman also want for sheer and lacy in a white dress by Dolce & Gabbana. Though you can see her undergarments, her look exudes classic innocence and elegance. Dying over her silver spiked Christian Louboutins, diamond accents, and red lipstick. Hot!

Naomi Campbell paid homage to her dear friend Alexander McQueen in a dress designed by the house. The frock’s intricate details speak to the genius of McQueen, but the allure is somewhat lost in styling. What’s up with the cutesy hairbow? And the banged pony? A simple chignon would’ve done the trick. The hair knocks this Gala perfect look down to junior high school dance level. Hmm…

Speaking of underwhelming hair choices, Rashida Jones played up a simple eggplant strapless with a headband and curly banged ‘do more suitable for a school picture. A slick updo or something a tad more sophisticated (sans the headband) could have saved this look.

For example, take Zoe Saldana in this pale yellow Calvin Klein. The color pops, the dress fits, the makeup is simple, and the hair is loose and wavy (no bows or bands). Hot!

Beyonce and Jay-Z made an appearance as well, with Beyonce in an Emilio Pucci dress and Jay in a Tom Ford tux. Apparently Beyonce’s dress was so tight she needed major help navigating the stairs, but haven’t we all suffered for fashion at one point? Her dress’s brocade details, dramatic high neckline, mermaid hem, and bust revealing cut out are event appropriate. Jay-Z’s mini ‘fro isn’t the norm, but why shouldn’t he show off the texture of his hair? Loving how this couple stayed true to themselves.

Janelle Monaé made an appearance in her signature white tuxedo shirt and pant combo, uplifted by a top hat with a slight lace and mesh veil. The House of Chanel, who designed the ensemble, added certain couture details like pleated cuffs and a high neck, but this look is a yawnfest. I ‘get’ having a signature look, but I’m thinking Janelle could have gone the way of Rihanna at the 2009 Met Gala with a blazer with exaggerated shoulders and an edgy hairstyle. The idea was great. The execution? Hmmm, it could have been just a wee bit more creative.

Perhaps she could have taken notes from Vogue Japan editor-at-large Anna Dello Russo

…who made a white button down, black pants, and jacket look extraordinary with gold details and an ‘I dare you not to look at me’ hat. Her egg shaped topper was a bit more unexpected than Monae’s top hat, which seemed more obvious for a menswear inspired look.

Andre Leon Talley also showed how to make a signature look stand out in a voluminous royal purple cape with a dramatic train. Sure, he’s giving me a little Violet Beauregarde, but ALT knows how to keep things interesting and fun.

Iman dazzled in a sequin peppered jumpsuit by Stella McCartney. My first impression was, “Wow, how fresh!” until I realized another Iman (Chanel) wore a gold sequined jumpsuit to last year’s Costume Institute Gala. Though it’s been done before, Iman looked ravishing and hot. The young bucks could learn a thing or three from this industry veteran. A Kotur clutch and vintage belt completed her look.

Jennifer Lopez brought the drama (or dramer as Dwight from RHOATL would say ) in a Gucci Fall 2011 keyhole gown with a floral shrug. This, ladies, is how you shut it down. Her matching red lip, manicure, and minaudière only add to the look’s overall allure. Hot!

Jennifer Hudson engulfed her new svelte body in layers of fabric designed by Vera Wang (pictured to her right). I like it, but I’m not wowed. Is Hudson’s choice giving anyone else a ‘bridesmaid’ vibe? Vera is known for her wedding gowns….

Speaking of wedding gowns…couple about town Lala Vazquez and Carmelo Anthony made a first time appearance at the star studded fete. Lala’s tulle blush one shoulder Vera Wang gown also gave me more ‘wedding’ than ‘gala.’ If the tulle feathered fan embellished skirt were more molded to her body, it would’ve been hot! Carmelo looked suave in all black everything and a high wattage smile.

Christine Teigen went the opposite route of J.Hud and Lala, letting it all show for the red carpet in a lacy black feathered Chris March number and Ruthie Davis peep toes. She’s giving me a bit of a Vegas vibe, but I think her look was head turning and dramatic–perfect for the event. Besides, style queen and former Paris Vogue editrix Carine Roitfeld  has been known to wear something similar by Dolce & Gabbana. It’s risqué, but definitely chic–and hot! Nod to John Legend as well who looked dapper in his tux.

Speaking of guys, fashionphile Kanye West of course couldn’t miss this party! He kept it simple and traditional in a custom Tory Burch tux. Hot!

Cassie opted for a custom blue and black Rag & Bone dress topped off by Christian Louboutin pumps. Cassie is so pretty…but this look does her a disservice. The dark makeup is too severe, and I’m not convinced pulling her half-shorn hair back was the best choice. The dress is nice, but not quite gala-worthy. Hmmm, we’ve seen better Cassie!

Nicole Richie exuded Hollywood Glamour in an optic white Jason Wu gown with sleeves flaunting studs and cut out details. Loving her hair, lip, and confidence. Hot!

Co-designers Amare Stoudemire and Rachel Roy
were on the roster, and made a smashing couple with Rachel in a strapless white gown and Amare in a well tailored tux. The subtle details on Rachel’s dress were stunning, and Amare looked tempered yet dapper. Hot!

Rosario Dawson twirled in a floor length black sequined Diane von Furstenberg gown accented by diamond earrings and a gold clutch.  Pretty enough, but this is very covered up for our burgeoning spring weather. The dress is pretty, but simple. Not a hmm… just a meek hot.

Model Joan Smalls similarly sparkled in a long sleeve floor length Givenchy Tom Ford gown, though her look captured the bright lights better thanks to oversized embellished stones. I love her blunt cut and dark lipstick. She’s a runway certified beauty, of course she looks hot!

Keri Hilson made an appearance at the event in a knit gray Versace dress finished with a tulle train. I like the long hair and diamond jewels, though the frock’s mix of casual and dressy elements are slightly confusing. And wait–are those bra straps I see, or is that a part of the dress? At any rate, Keri usually gets a thumbs down on the red carpet, but I think she looks quite lovely here. Better than average…a lukewarm hot.

Joy Bryant opted for a pastel Missoni sweater dress, with highlights of pink, red, and orange. Knit and red carpet aren’t a good mix. With Missoni, I think of beach coverup, not a glam Gala. Hmm, her makeup looks nice.

Lastly, Serena Williams peacocked in a feather laden white Oscar de la Renta frothy frock, topped off by an equally feathery Philip Treacy hat (perhaps inspired by the Royal Wedding?). I personally feel she needed to heed Coco Chanel’s advice to take one thing off before leaving the house–namely that hat. I could see the dress alone working, but the hat takes her look from ‘wow‘ to ‘what was she thinking?’

Who do you think was best dressed at the 2011 Met Gala?

Source: Wire Image

70 Responses to “Hot! Or Hmm…: “Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty” 2011 Costume Institute Gala At The Metropolitan Museum Of Art”

1. T1K says:

Iman is the only one I’m liking so far, I don’t know what is up with Naomi, her dress, and that hair do >_<.. Also I'm not liking Kerry's Hair at all! Jhud is looking very pretty but the dress doesn't seem as glamorous for the occasion. Janelle looks the SAME as always.. And I've seen that silhouette perhaps a very similar dress already on Beyonce.

2. thatgirl says:

Iman and J.LO look FIERCE! Beyonce looks like she is suffocating and the rest look blah!

3. Brittany says:

Love Rihanna, Love J.Lo! I’m trying to love Beyonce in that gown.

4. MsCoLo says:

BEY KILLED IT!!!! ‘Tis all.

5. BOBBIE says:

Naomi- her hair makes the gown look worst and did you notice her man has his back turned on her.The gown resembles shredded toilet tissue.
    Bey & Jay- I adore them, but I do not think that their choice of attire complement one another. Seperately, they pull it off.
    Kayne- Looks simple but great
    J-Hud- Nice gown but not for her, it drowns her!
    Iman- GAWJUS!!!
    Keri- Thumbs down, long hair does not suit her and she should have chosen a different colored gown.
    J-Lo- ummm, ok! not bad though.
    Nicole Richie- not doing it for me.
    Rosario- sequin black dress is perfect for her, good choice.
    Christine & J-Legend- Thumbs up.

6. Gemini says:

@ Thatgirl

I agree w/ u Beyonce is suffocating her chest area. Jay-Z looks blah! Is he going 2 comb his hair? DAMN!

Christine Teigen needs 2 know that Halloween is on 31st of October!!! Lol she looks like a witch from Eastwick!!!

My favorites here are; Iman love her gold ensemble she looks great for 50+ and Nicole Ritchie looks like ol’ hollywood glam.

7. EntertainmentsFuture says:

I can see why Beyonce HAD to be helped. that dress is painted on. She looks good though. JLo, Rihanna, Iman, and Nicole look all sorts of FAB!!! I’m kind of surprised Jennifer Hudson went that route. I mean she has been showing her figure with everything else.

8. Gemini says:

Geez I had 2 type how many times to get this comment up. O.K BEY what were u thinking?? Those breasts are suffocating gurl.

Christine Teigen Halloween falls on the 31st of October!!!

J.LO Huh?? Lose the puffs please!!!

Naomi C. Looks like a Goddess!!!

My favs are Iman & Nicole Ritchie!!!

9. BamBam says:

I am not impressed at all. Beyonce’s dress looks like a tacky Dereon creation and she is always wearing tight dresses with fishtail at red carpet events, switch it up a little, damn!

SO incredibly dissapointed with Rihanna’s look, it’s so bland and regular. Hate the hair and I hate the shoes with that dress. I was expecting her to turn it OUT like she did in that D&G tux in 09.

Janelle Monae is a joke! That look is so tired, I’m overit.com.

Jennifer Hudson just looks bland as well.

Hate Keri’s hair, the dress is umm..cute, atleast she took a risk.

Naomi…gurl BYE!

Jennifer Lopez and Iman look great.

The only one that gave me any sort of drama and fierceness was Christina Ricci, she looked haute!

10. Gemini says:

Oh, can somebody lend Jay-Z the “Jigga Man” a comb PLEASE!!!

11. Chris Styles says:

Everybody gets aa Hmmm except for Kanye, Janelle Mone, Jennifer Hudson, Nicole Richie, and Jennifer Lopez. IMO

12. Brooklyn Lady says:

Where do I start?

Rhianna looks aight. I’ve seen her do better. And the dress is NOT sheer (before someone says so). It’s a flesh toned lining underneath ;-)

Queen Naomi just no. FAIL FAIL FAIL! U too good for this boo.

Bey and Jay look nice.

Janelle zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Iman yawn. All I thought about was that time Bey and Justin performed at (forgot the name) in NYC and she wore a gold sequin (more of a fish scale design) jumpsuit similar to this one.

Jennifer is SMOKING! As much as I can’t stand her she almost ALWAYS KILLS IT!

skip, skip, skip

Keri I’m not feeling that wig or that 5 head pushing through it.

13. Christina says:

I am so done with Janelle Monae. She always looks exactly the same. I thought Rihanna looked like a vampire. I love JHud’s dress, but don’t think it was right for this event. Iman looks A-MAZING. I’m also loving Jay’s tux.

14. BamBam says:

Correction: I don’t hate Rihanna’s hair, it’s pretty cute just wish she went with something different for this look :( I was counting on Rihanna to give me life!!!!

15. Bronze says:

Iman, Madonna and Naomi.

16. Bronze says:

and Kerry Washington.

17. Miss Smith says:

I agree with most of yall. I caught a glimpse of Ciara as she stepped out of her car & she looked so pretty. I wish she had smiled too! Also, the other side of Rih’s dress has cutouts, so that took away some of the sophistication to me. Jay & Bey look nice (she needs to let Jay know that the scruffy look doesn’t work for all men though). Kanye is looking kinda scrumptious! Say what you want about J. Monae, but we’ve never said that she looks a H.A.M.! Also, I can’t get with Keri’s hair (sorry, not a fan of black blondes). The stars were slightly underwhelming for this event. I was expecting some extra oomph since it was in honor of McQueen. I agree that Christina Ricci looked gorgeous. One of my faves was Ashley Olsen in vintage Dior.

18. lipz says:

Ciara looks hot, but why are her and J.Hud starting to resemble in the face?
    Ri Ris dress is nice, but im not feeling something about that hair…if only she would go back to her black coif!
    Bey looks good, but im loving J-lo’s dress for best of the night!

19. accent says:

LOved:

Rihanna
    J.Hud
    J Lopez
    Kerry
    Lala

20. binks says:

I think some of the dresses are hot and unique but I am getting a lot of hmmmm here. I don’t think nobody executed their looks (except for J-Lo and Iman) but the rest finishes just fell flat

21. Kerry had been looking extra FAB at all the events this week! Go Girl!

Solange’s dress is unique…I like.

J.Lo looks FLY! So does Iman, like always.

And lastly I love the color of Eva’s dress.

22. Natasha says:

Fails- Beyonce who to me cannot dress at all and should consider firing her stylist, Solange with the makeup (she usually always looks on point), Lala who despite having Monica Rose as her stylist can never look put together, Anna Dello Russo whose style I’ve never been a fan of, Alicia Keys, Rashida Jones, Naomi Campell, Ciara with the makeup, Joy Bryant seriously a sweater dress to the met gala ?!? and last but certainly not least Blake Lively.

Winners- Kanye…yum, Jay-Z, Kerry Washington, Eva Mendes (that dress which I’m assuming is either Gucci or Pucci is to die for), Zoe Saldana whose minimalistic style always seems to dazzle, Chrissy Teigen (that dress made me wipe sweat beads off my forehead), Keri Hilson who looks lovely, Diane Kruger,Rihanna (love the relaxed vibe the braid ads) Brooklyn Decker, Iman,Christina Ricci, Gisele Bunchen who can do no wrong, Anna Wintour and Penelope Cruz who is this generations Sophia Loren.

Everyone else was easily forgettable. Also Andre Leon Talley gets a pass for that cape he was wearing because he’s so fabulous. Please excuse the run on sentences or grammatical errors.

23. Bprep says:

UMM JOAN SMALLS IS WEARING TOM FORD, NOT GIVENCHY

24. Natasha says:

25. Claire says:

@Bprep Thanks for the correction, I must be delirious with all this…blogging. I’ve updated accordingly!

26. Baise says:

Christina Ricci kills everyone in that dress.

27. jennifer hudson’s gown is beautiful.

28. Neaa says:

I really like Kanye West and Iman..

29. Marie-josé says:

Thumbs down the Queen Bee, that gown is not flattering her at all.
    Ri looks okay; though I would’ve loved not to see that braid.
    J hud, is superbe with that new shape of hers.
    Keri looks her usual cheap to me.
    Kanye is simple yet classy, l like.
    Nicole richie is cute, though she’ll always look more like a teenage lost on the red carpet than a grown up woman. Sorry.
    Alicia looks hot, but I agree with Claire some more colors woudln’t have hurt.
    I think naomie’s dress looks Oh-so- Hideous; too much for me.
    Zoe saldana looks very spring to me; I love the necklace, it definetely accented the look.
    J-lo well hhmm, am not sure about all the ‘fluff’ but well. red suits you what can we do?
    Rachel Roy should take more fashion risk I think; she designs amazing shoes, that must not be that hard.
    Lala looks her usual princess- like look.
    But I love Diane Kruger’s dress, a subtile mixture of pro- sexy.
    That’ll be it for me.

30. Kiki says:

This year’s Met Ball was an overall fail to me. The theme was Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty and very few attendees really brought it. The folks featured in this post – besides Anna Dello Russo (in the egg hat), Christina Ricci and Diane Kruger – really didn’t do a gala honoring Alexander McQueen any justice. Everything looks rather safe. The models – Karolina Kurkova, Shalom Harlow, Liu Wen, Chanel Iman, etc. really wowed me.

31. Kiki says:

No picture of Daphne Guinness? She was spot on with the theme of the night…

32. KBS says:

I can’t get enough of Gucci this year…I am loving with the subtle cutouts on J Lopez and (I think) J Goodwin . That blue on Eva is stunning and I love Anna and Janelle’s take on mens wear.

However, I would like to respectfully request that J Hud stop proving that she’s now skinny, we got it, it’s a new day and you’re feeling good…..Bey to stop thinking she’s a mermaid, and Ciara, please, take that wig off and cease and desist with the Rapunzel look.

33. artsylee says:

Iman. That. Is. All.

34. BOOBOO says:

Joan Smalls and C. Ricci looked the best! They went w/the theme and KILLED IT;0

Im also feelin Yeezy and Jigga.

35. [...] check out the list of all the other celebs and what they wore on the Fashion Bomb Daily here > METGalaRedCarpet and on the [...]

36. Dee says:

Eva,Kerry Washiongton and J Lo are the best dressed . Beyonce gown was not hot . She look every uncomfortable and it just was too much for me . Alicia the color did nothing for her and it look like something my mother would wear and she is 58. LOL
    And for the men of course Kayne is the winner !

37. Mrs windy City says:

My favorites were: Blake Lively, Margherita Missoni and Christina Ricci

38. LDN 80's says:

My fav was Lala, but it’s now Rihanna. I’m in love with that dress…!! Love Zoe’s look also. Alicia keys is giving me J-Hud Oscar awards, circa 2008 (??)

39. yusufswifee says:

noooo at beyonce and serena…everyone else looks great.

40. candylicker says:

Rhi rhi looked great, so did Cici, Boo to Serena – she really needs help getting dressed, and Bey always with the same dress, same hair, same everything from 2000, lets change it up a bit sweetie. I would have loved to see her struggle to walk up the steps in that tight azzed ugly velvet dress – lmao.

41. candylicker says:

Oh I forgot to mention the sister – solange, the “Zoolander gaze” had me hollerin, too funny.

42. dyshaun says:

Eva and Solange. <3

43. Crystal says:

omg iman….wow! rihanna looks FAB-U-LOUS! eva mendez is a vision although that dress is really not alexander mcqueenish. none of these really are. the chick with john legend is rockin it. beyonce is past her peak. serena and alicia are a -0.

44. Ambrose says:

I would have to say Eva and Kerry.

45. melissa says:

Beyonce looks like a sandwich!!! i really don’ like Beyonce style!! rihanna looks great, Iman is fantastic,

46. addikted2fashion says:

Overall, Im underwhelmed by the fashions. Its a gala at the MET! I expect over the top fashion and extravagance that you wouldn’t see anywhere else but the runways. PLUS, its honoring Alexander McQueen. The king of extravagant opulence! There were a couple that caused me to look twice because they were giving me a little fierceness, but I mostly scrolled past the looks let down.
    The simple gowns were massive disappointments; pretty, but disappointing nonetheless.

47. munchee says:

Christina Ricci dress is fire! I live Rhi-Rhi’s dress. Beyonce’s not so much!

48. caribbelle says:

I agree with @ Baise
    Christina Ricci gets this hands down!

49. Nunyabizniz says:

I saw Eva Mendes and I died.
    Now back up to ask Claire to do a post on gold belts. Please and Thanks. #back to the dead

50. Monie says:

Keri and Zoe never disappoint luv luv luv them!