April 27th, 2011
Beauty
Try This: Bright, Bold Eyes
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

It was the look at Christian Dior Spring 2011 (pictured below) created by makeup artist Pat McGrath, is a fun way to wear color, and looks awesome on our varying skin tones. Bold color on the eyes is a great look especially in warmer weather and if you’re in an environment where you can wear it (aqua shadow looks great for girls’ night out not so much for the board room).

While a single wash of color (that does NOT go all the way to the brow bone–don’t do it to yourself) is the easiest way to wear vibrant hues on the eyes, try to step into blending two or more colors together. You can find a great tool for finding the right ones in my How to Combine Colors post.

Quick bold shadow tips:
1. Always use a base under any shadow, but especially with brighter ones to keep them vibrant and from traveling or creasing. To really kick up a color, use a base like Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream (waterproof cream color that can be used on the eyes, cheeks, or lips) in a shade similar to your eyeshadow color. Your bright will go from bam to BAM! when you do.

2. Some gorgeous bright shades to have in your arsenal: Make Up For Ever Eyeshadows in #92, #75, #171, #159, #64, #168, #2, #9, #26, #72, #91 (see swatches here); MAC Eyeshadows in Bitter, Chrome Yellow, Aquadiasiac, Eletric Eel, Sunny Spot, Orange, Atlantic Blue, Vibrant Grape; NYX Single Shadows in Bright Green, Yellow Funk, Extreme Apricot, Matte Turquoise, Red Pink.

3. You can pair your bright shadow with a complementary bright lip or a nude. Just please don’t match it to your outfit.

Do you wear bold eye color?

Images via Style.com, Instyle.com, Bellanaija.com

Posted In
10 comments

10 Responses to “Try This: Bright, Bold Eyes”

1. BOBBIE says:

I really love the look,but I wonder how does it look close-up?

2. Joanne_ says:

i love bold eye colors, i haven’t been wearing them much lately but it’s my fave thing to do with makeup!

3. Ondrea says:

I am definitely gonna try the aqua blue bold eye. Great job D!

4. Gemini says:

I really like Thandie’s eyes it is very subtle.

5. binks says:

Love MUFU, I will try this one out

6. artsylee says:

I absolutely love the second look with the blue shadow! I wish I could look that put together when going out. That girl is gorge!

7. misha says:

I love Thandie’s purple look!!

8. sun.kissed says:

Blue eye shadow is one of my favorite looks!

9. Talysha says:

I love this post!!!! I truly love this trend and can’t wait to try out some new looks! Danielle, you always have the best advice and tips!! Have you ever tried mark. Cosmetics? It beats out alot of department store brands and is very affordable ;)

For those who haven’t met mark…. mark. is an expertly edited beauty & fashion boutique that is constantly launching fresh, on-trend products. Inspired by the hottest runway looks of the season, mark offers young women must-have, cutting-edge trends before they even hit shelves. If you live for the rush of a great find, meet mark.

Have you met mark? Shop my e-boutique at http://www.mymarkstore.com/thickerson. You can’t go wrong with mark!!

10. esme says:

i love doing this look. it’s the easiest way to make your make up look really eye catching.