April 27th, 2011
Fashion News, Indie Designer, Paris, You Should Know
Designer Spotlight: Adama Paris

So after seeing Teyana Taylor work her latest Vibe photo shoot in a striped blue and gold jumper by Adama Paris, I had to visit the designer’s website and see what else she had to offer.

Created by Senegalese stylista Adama Amanda Ndiaye, Adama Paris features jumpers, dresses, bathing suits, and separates fashioned out of Ankara fabric. The silhouettes are modern, colors bold, and the details? Delightful.

Purple and gold “Paris Dakar” jumpsuit, $150, bronze belt, $100, and bronze bracelet, $85, all Adama Paris; brown and gold bib #3, and “Chieng Mai Teahouse Series,” $4,875, both Masha; “Lucie” laser-cut shoe, $149, Bebe.

I actually met Adama while I was in Paris, and we had a yummy lunch by Avenue Georges V. At the time her line was still in the nascent stages, and she was in the midst of planning for Dakar’s first fashion week. It’s fabulous to see how far she’s come!

What do you think of Adama Paris?
Find prices and all buying information at www.adama-paris.com.

25 Responses to “Designer Spotlight: Adama Paris”

1. Cee Lo says:

Claire, do you have they buying info, I really want that jumpsuit? I fell in luv when i saw it on teyanna

2. Claire says:

@Cee Lo the post has a link to the designer’s website, where there is contact information for her. Contact the designer if you’re interested in purchasing. Good luck!

3. Nunyabizniz says:

impeccable creations! I luv them all. now that’s the type of designers I’d support! Gucci who?

4. Mazuba says:

Thank you Claire for spotlighting an African designer.Africa is def in!love love love!Ankara all day.*heads to her site

5. Gemini says:

This reminds me of Boxing Kitten 4 sum reason. Hmmm….

6. Coldplayer says:

Reminds me of boxing kitten a lot

7. melissa says:

i love the bikini!!! and the jumpsuit is perfect!!!

8. MIA says:

I LIKE HER LINE. I DONT CARE FOR HER AD. BETTER MAKE UP AND STYLING WOULD DO HER FAB CLOTHES MORE JUSTICE. JUST MY THOUGHTS.

9. Temaka Williams says:

Reminds me of Boxing Kitten. And I like it!

10. tasha says:

I was wondering who the designer was for her garments. Thanks

11. missb says:

I love everything, especially the purple and gold dress.

12. dyshaun says:

I love the “Black is back” stuff.

13. Mari says:

Hmmm I’ve seen all these looks done better. *Shrugs*

14. TRUTH says:

1. i agree with Mari. These looks have been done before and done better
    2. isn’t there a designer with the name ADAMA already? how original madame

hope she has more to show since everyone is a designer these days

15. BellaNaija86 says:

The only reason it reminds you of boxing kitten is because the same style of fabric is used. Ankara is a staple in African cultures regardless of what design/style you create with it. And for the record….Boxing Kitten didn’t come with anything new, women have been using Ankara to create designs both formal and causal for as long as I can remember in Africa.

16. penda says:

so proud of ADAMA…..SENEGAL

17. Dope! Loooove her creations, and they’re locally made in Senegal! Plus she has launched the first ever Fashion Week on the African Continent 9 years ago. Definitely gotta give props to young talented people with a vision who shake things up. I’ll definitely be at Dakar Fashion Week this summer! Africa Rocks!

18. NAIJA VIX. says:

@bellanaija86 PREACH GIRL!!!!! OK?! Boxing Kitten who??? *rolls eyes* please Boxing Kitten didn’t create nothing new and is not original…before boxing kitten Africans were rocking ankara from birth..anyways Get It Adama !!! i love your pieces!!!

19. Mary says:

SMH @Gemini and @Truth! First you guys SHOULD KNOW Ankara comes from Africa! We’ve been wearing it for DECADES if not centuries…. and now that brands like LAMB or Boxing Kitten are exploiting we gonna get shades thrown for embracing our culture? SMDH

@Truth “Adama” is a very common name is West Africa! So you gonna blame her now for the name her parents gave her?!

20. I love the gold and purple animal print dress. Is this the designer that Solange Knowles wears sometimes. Love her designs! So lively and colorful.

21. EgyptianBella says:

BEAUTIFUL DARK SKIN MODELS. LOVE IT!

22. lauren_xFF says:

I don’t understand why Boxing Kitten an *American* designer gets so much press (no shade), but African designers using their own fabrics get left in the dust. Seriously.

23. [...] can read more here about Adama Paris Louise Bramstedt – Lobra Loves July 10th, 2011 – 11:06 in [...]

24. [...] to rock your ankara on the beach? Adama Paris (who we wrote about here), is offering printed bikinis for Spring 2012, in a flurry of cool colors and patterns. Check out [...]

25. Deka says:

@Truth : Adama is her name.