March 9th, 2011
Fashion News, What to Wear
Fashion Bomb 101: What to Wear to a Funeral

Melissa says, “ I have a funeral to attend this weekend. Can you please give me some ideas on what to wear?”

I actually get this question a lot. The short answer is to wear black. Obviously it’s a respectful ceremony, so your black club mini dress, black jeans, or sneakers are not ok. I’d say err on the side of business chic and pop on a sophisticated black shift (preferably with sleeves), reasonable heels, a black bag, and a tasteful trench coat or shrug. Bring along some dark sunglasses to conceal your puffy eyes.

Sometimes navy and dark gray are considered acceptable. Check with the aggrieved party beforehand:

Do you guys have anything to add?

Posted In
21 comments

21 Responses to “Fashion Bomb 101: What to Wear to a Funeral”

1. 05girl says:

I think grey and navy blue are perfectly acceptable; no need to check with the aggrieved party. Just think: somber tones.

2. Just black. Is color not acceptable?

3. Kim says:

Funeral or not, Naomi is fierce in that ensemble!

4. Leigh says:

I don’t think that it is appropriate to ask the aggrieved party if it’s okay to wear navy blue or grey. When one is mourning such issues are trivial. Use your discretion or err on the side of caution ie:- wear BLACK.

5. Fatimah says:

Culture fact: Muslims are actually encouraged to wear non-black clothes to funerals. Nothing too bright, but black is seen as a negative send-off for the deceased.

6. cheeky says:

Claire- i wholeheartedly agree with you and I always wear black or something dark to a funeral. However, funerals nowadays have gotten so casual it’s borderline disrespectful. I think a lot of it has to do with so many younger people dying at earlier ages, that the attendees don’t know how to dress for it. They think “dressing up” is putting on a polo t-shirt and some clean jeans. Smh…

I went to my cousin’s funeral a few months back who was in her early 30′s and the “family” (i use that term loosely) that showed up looked like random people who came in off the street just to chill in a heated facility. Like really? Jeans, t-shirts, tennis shoes, one lady had a floral length maxi-dress (in winter might I add). Like really, this is a funeral!

Needless to say I was SMH the whole time…but for those with a hint of class and respect for the dead, black and somber colors are appropriate. No jeans, no tennis. Sheesh people, there is a time and place for everything!

#imdone

7. Ambrose says:

@ Claire, well said. I attended the funeral of my cousin back in February. Some of the outfits there were simply atrocious!!! Some people looked like they just rolled out of bed and came to the church. While others looked like they just left the club a couple of hours before funeral time and decided to show up. There is definitely a time and place for everything. But, a funeral isn’t one of them.

8. Kay says:

Im just tired of people wearing “RIP Tshirts ” with the persons picture on it ..and jeans and sneakers..save that for AFTER the funeral please

9. Bronze says:

Depends on the church and personality of the deceased. Conservative types; black/navy/grey. My Remy drinking uncles that wear loud colors; white/yellow or orange with a big matching hat.

10. itsjustme says:

I co-sign with Leigh’s comment; asking a family in mourning what is acceptable to wear is simply inappropriate.

11. dyshaun says:

I think it depends on the locale and the atmosphere. I like to wear something that reminds me of the person or something we shared.

At “Celebration of Homegoing”, Ive seen people look a little lighter, but I would def. stick with black, navy, or grey.

When we buried my daughter’s great- grandmom this past holiday, I wore a black wide-leg jumpsuit, with leopard tall pumps and a black turban (that was a nod to her; she ALWAYS wore turbans).

12. BOOBOO says:

@Kay If i c one more RIP T-shirt. My hubby sd if he dies, please don’t put him on a t-shirt!!! I would never ever!

13. Coco says:

Before my auntie passed she told us to wear white…..so we all wore white to her funeral

14. Jac♥ says:

My late grandmother, who rarely wore black, asked the family to wear colourful attire to her funeral. We did & looked wonderful. I’m attending another family funeral, very soon, and again the request is for the family to wear colour.

15. melissa says:

thanx so much claire …. and every1 else for your helpful tips on what to wear to the funeral this weekend… i think i’ll keep it simple and chic mayb a black skirt, blush blouse , and a black blazer . would leopard print heels be too much?

16. [...] posted here: Fashion Bomb 101: What to Wear to a Funeral « The Fashion Bomb … This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged attendees, attendees-don, best-home, [...]

17. Miss Smith says:

I think these are all good suggestions.

@Melissa, personally I don’t think it would be a good idea to wear leopard heels but that’s just my opinion.

And whatever yall do, PLEASE don’t wear your sunglasses inside the church. It’s okay to cry. There’s no need to try and conceal it.

18. melissa says:

@miss smith , ok thank u i’ll keep it simple w/ black heels this is y i luv fashionbomb daily thanx again 4 your tips

19. jillibooboo says:

dont ask the aggrieved party before hand. when dealing with such a weighty issue as a loss of a family member, it is trivial to ask if you can wear a grey dress.

20. binks says:

I agree with the others checking with the aggrieved party beforehand about what to wear is out of the question and insensitive, simply use your best judgement. Grey or blue are perfectly fine as long as your attire is respectful unless it is a special request or a different type of funeral.

21. Tamar says:

It depends on the church and who died. At a Homegoing celebration, the attire is white especially if the deceased is a Saved Christian. For my grandfather and grandmother, the request was for everyone to wear white. You can get by with black or navy for most funerals.