February 2nd, 2011
Beauty, Hair
Method Man Says He Doesn’t Like Natural Hair

Reader Voxi recently forwarded this video where Method Man reveals his thoughts on Natural Hair:

The interviewer asks, “Do you like natural hair?” He replies, “No. I don’t like peasy afros, sorry. I don’t like dreads either. I like a woman to get her hair did.”
Watch here:

We’re all entitled to our own opinion, our own likes and dislikes. You would hope that people would be respectful of other’s choices, whether permed or natural, and not pass judgment on someone else’s hair, saying it looks ‘peasy‘ or ‘undid.‘ But it’s Method Man, do we really expect him to be politically correct?
What do you think?
Thanks to VoxiBurcheneau for sending this in!

Posted In
56 comments

56 Responses to “Method Man Says He Doesn’t Like Natural Hair”

1. MsA says:

Its a shame that all he can think of in terms of natural hair is “peasy fros” and “dreads”. He just sounds so uneducated and full of self-hate. I didn’t see him run to the salon for a relaxer when he was rockin cornrows, though. Ugh I can’t take it. My hair is relaxed (short cut), but I still appreciate and love the versatility and beauty in natural hair. Back to no album sales with you, Meth.

2. yusufswifee says:

oh method man….I know plenty of men who claim they don’t like locks, weaves, short hair, braids…I think it’s the woman…I always tease them and say they don’t know what they like until you tell them or show them. Oh and in addition to that…who cares?

3. Tiff says:

I dont think its a big deal everyone has their own opinion

4. yusufswifee says:

Ha! @MsA. I have a short relaxed cut also and I’m sure you tire of these same men telling you that they don’t like short hair but it looks good on you or you look great for a chic with short hair. Booooooooo!

5. Lorena says:

Who’s checking for Method Man?

6. at the end of the day Method man doesn’t have to like natural hair, I DO. This is the equivalent of my mail man not liking natural hair, that doesn’t concern me one bit :)

7. missyqeenb says:

Everyone is entittled to their own opinion….however its his ignorence that pisses me off. “peasy afros”? “undid”? He needs to shut up and go into a closet so i dont hear this stupidness anymore. I will def not be listening to any songs with him in it

8. Ambrose says:

Well, I really don’t care if Method Man likes natural hair or not. Because, at the end of the day, his opinion doesn’t matter. As the saying goes opinions are like……every body has one.

9. MsA says:

@ yuyuswife- I don’t get tired of men telling me anything b/c my man liked my hair when it was long, and likes it short. He has seen pics of it natural and liked that, too. Men used to say that “I don’t like short hair…” ish to me when I was single, but those were the same dudes I was laughing at and walking away from. *shrugs*

10. B says:

Why do we continue to give a forum to these ignorant azz men? We’d all be a lot better off (and happier!) if we focused our time and energy on the ones who love us back.

11. I hate to say it but a lot of ‘old heads’ feel like this even women, I have friends in their 40s who share that exact sentiment and told me I need a perm when I was rocking my natural! lol and these are fellow black women! I think its part of the mentality from their “day and age” so I cant be too mad at it, still I’m glad these ideas are slowly disappearing. ;-)

12. maria says:

Oh he’s a dumbass. Who cares what he thinks?

13. Coutura says:

@B – applause! I say this all the time. Not everyone has to like natural hair and (ignorant comments aside) Meth is entitled to his opinion. But I’d much rather give attention to the myriad of men out there who do like it (my boyfriend, my friend, my cousin, my ex) and focus my energy on them. When you do that, Meth and other natural hair naysayers are a non-issue.

14. cole says:

i dont think he’s dumb or ignorant for not perferring natural hair. everyone has their own opinion and that happens to be his…anytime people say something contray to what people think they have to be dumb and or ignorant.

15. cole says:

*Contrary

16. lubbie says:

Guess what? I dont like men with dusty cornrows and dreads who knocking on their 40s!!! Seriously, Method Man is not a threat to my dating life nor is his thought process about hair.

17. bagladynyc says:

This is the type of attention Method Man needs to get him back in the limelight. Next, he will be apologizing for his comments and have a hit single with India Arie. WOMP!

18. Tif says:

He wasn’t passing judgment he was stating his own opinion. However, he shouldn’t equate ‘undid’ with ‘natural’.

19. bransings says:

Who is in line to date method man anyway??? No one cares!

20. [...] peasy afros, sorry. I don’t like dreads either. I like a woman to get her hair did.“Via Fashion BombWe’re all entitled to our own opinion, our own likes and dislikes. You would hope that people [...]

21. Prettygirl says:

what does peasy mean? is he high? …….. anyway i thought it was known that the average man likes long straight hair or long curly hair…. to each his own *kanye shrug*

22. imagine says:

I am natural and I could careless because I am not trying to attract a man like “Method Man” however if I was this would be an issue for me…But the type of men I am interested in wouldnt be interested in women who are intterested in someone in a man “Method Mans”category…

23. Bronze says:

Are we surprised that black men love to tell the world what they HATE about black women.

@ imagine. I so agree with you. Who in their right mind would want a Method Man. Not a true fashionista.

24. Roni says:

He’s ignorant. He references “Natural Hair” as peasy afros and dreads?!?!!!!! He clearly doesn’t have a clue and isn’t reputable to speak on that topic. His opinion doesn’t count….NEXT! I think natural hair is beautiful and I am glad about the “new movement” of more women embracing their Natural selves and being confident enough to rock it and work it!

25. I agree with some of the other posters…..I’m not checking for Method Man whatsoever, so his opinion on natural hair means nothing to me.

Do I think it’s ignorant that he equates natural hair with being “undone”? Yes. Am I going to cry myself to sleep because of his comments? No. Based on comments he’s made in the past about women, this doesn’t come as a shock to me at all.

26. Amber says:

@cole I’m sorry but I must disagree. Method Man did, in fact, show his ignorance with his comments. The fact that he doesn’t like natural hair isn’t the issue, but the asinine way he expressed his dislike, is. Indicating that natural hair is “undid” (made-up word) hair, that is unkempt and not cared for IS completely ignorant! When this fool sees natural hair, he clearly doesn’t know what he’s looking at. Perhaps someone should swing him by a natural hair salon. And while they’re at it, show him a pic of his cornrowed days to show him what “peasy” (another made-up word) hair REALLY looks like.

27. AllHailTheQween says:

I agree with Esha. A lot of people’s comments about natural hair are a sign of the time and how things are changing.

I personally LOVE when women wear their hair natural, however, I do not and probably will not wear mine natural. It just isn’t for me. To each their own is the way that I think. Don’t take it as someone exuding self hatred if they want a relaxer, press, or weave. Just respect it as their personal choice and go about ur day. It really is just that simple.

28. ???? says:

Why does everybody automatically assume “natural hair” means fro
    or dreads??? I have been perm free for 7 months and I am currently wearing a weave with a natural part before the weave it was my own hair. Natural hair doesn’t always mean fro or dreads or a ton of heat.

29. Ambrosia says:

Coonery…

30. ldm says:

I do feel he is being ignorant (basically like almost everyone stated) cause the statement “I don’t like natural hair, dreads or short hair” alone is a signal that you have look beyond what is told to you as beatiful…..cause I know I have never heard a man say he doest like long relaxed hair

31. ldm says:

not* ………don’t mean to come off hostile

32. lola says:

You are entitled to your opinion son but undid? really? says the man with that undid show on TBS. Ho! sit your a*ss down.

33. It_Girl! says:

How could you not like te natural texture of another black persons hair. he sounds stupid and I’m glad I haven’t bhought a cd of his since 1997.

34. Kaliente says:

sigh.
    its his opinion and preference…
    I don’t get mad or offended when guys say they don’t like women that wear weave…I mean everybody has their preference…
    I used to love method man back n the day tho!
    LOL.
    but farreal..it’s not that serious…he like what he likes, which isn’t natural hair.

35. binks says:

just because u have straight hair doesn’t automatically means it is done and kept up well. I know some women with straight hair that looks a mess. I’ am sick and tried of people hiding behind “opinion and preference” anybody can state either but can you give an legitimate reason for said preference or opinion especially when it comes to looks/appearance? If not, I wondered why….

36. Bronze says:

LMFAO!!!! UN-Did. Foreigners don’t even talk like this.

37. Brittany says:

While I may not be natural , I still think he is an idiot and what he said is really offensive. If anything looks peasy and “undone” it’s him. No one likes a talentless , UGLY a.ss man. There.

38. egyptianbella says:

HE IS IGNORANT. SO DOES HE NOT LIKE HIS OWN HAIR? HIS HAIR IS NATURAL. MEN WEAR THEIR HAIR IN A FADE WHICH IS STILL THEIR NATURAL KINKY HAIR SO IS HE SAYING THAT HE DOESNT LIKE HIMSELF? DOES HE NOT LIKE BLACKS AT ALL? BLACK PEOPLE’S HAIR IS NEVER STRAIGHT NATURALLY.

39. egyptianbella says:

SO HE DOESNT LIKE HIS OWN HAIR? HIS FADE IS NATURAL! IDIOT!

40. egyptianbella says:

I THINK THAT IF YOUR BLACK AND YOU DONT LIKE THE WAY YOUR NATURAL HAIR LOOKS THEN ITS SELF HATE. LETS NOT BEAT AROUND THE BUSH AND MAKE IT OK OR SAY THAT ITS JUST AN OPINION. NO! ITS IGNORANCE AND HE IS SAYING THAT HE DOESNT LIKE HIMSELF, OR HIS BLACK MOMMA! OUR HAIR IS NOT NATURALLY STRAIGHT SO I GUESS HE REALLY ONLY LIKES WHITE WOMEN!

41. egyptianbella says:

SO WOULD IT BE OK IF I SAID “ITS JUST MY OPINION BUT I DONT LIKE WHITE SKIN, I JUST THINK ITS PALE AND UGLY!” WOULD THAT BE OK? NO, YOU ALL WOULD BE SAYING THAT I AM RACIST. SO IF I SAY THAT I DONT LIKE STRINGY STRAIGHT HAIR THEN WHITE PEOPLE WOULD THINK I AM RACIST, SO WHY IS IT OK FOR HIM TO SAY THAT?

42. KBS says:

where’s the video!

43. Nicole says:

I know two woman he dated. They both have short natural hair, nasty attitudes and fluffy bodies.

44. Nikki says:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, including Meth. Many people who go natural may have “peasy” edges. I don’t think it’s ignorance, I personally don’t like to look untamed that’s why once my relaxer is past 2 months old a touch up is A MUST. I can NOT my hair in it’s natural state no matter how much moisturizer/detanglers I use and I am sure the ones preaching about his comment being “ignorant” would be the first to crack a giggle at my “peasy fro!” LOL. #coolcalm&collected

45. Nikki says:

Oh and I don’t think it’s self hate to not torture myself by trying to comb my hair because it’s too kinky and it hurts.

46. zy says:

everyone says it’s his “preference”… my issue with his “preference” is his blatant ignorance. “peasy ‘fros”? really? that’s not him stating a preference, that’s him being disrespectful and out of line. i’m tired of people making excuses for these idiots who spout this type of crap as a means of disguising their self-hate by throwing it onto others. so he doesn’t prefer women with locs or natural hair… why couldn’t he just say that? why did he feel the need to disrespect those that do rock those styles with his disparaging comments? it’s really pathetic and I wonder if he’d tell his daughter the same shit should she decide to rock a natural do? preferences are one thing, disrespect is a totally different animal. he’s a disrespectful jackass. period.

47. [...] Method Man Says He Doesn’t Like Natural Hair  » http:// fashionbombdaily.com [...]

48. swankysmitten says:

Oh Please! Method Man tried to talk to one of my GOOD friends (around 1999) and she’s been natural for 15 years. I’m convinced this a publicity stunt…

49. BOOBOO says:

Didn’t he have shxxlocks in the 90′s? *shrugs*

50. Ty says:

Wait, didn’t Nicki Minaji say something about girls needing a perminator in one of her songs? She’s featured on this site everyday and there’s not mention of that.