January 20th, 2011
Beauty, Hair
6 Different Ways to Style Your Locs
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Whether you just started your locs or had them for years, if you’re looking for ways to branch out and style them, this post’s for you!

1. Go edgy. Be bold and try shaving the sides like Jill Scott did above. While this is admittedly more for the locnista who isn’t particularly worried about her hair growing in evenly (as she likely has 50 million more styles to try), it is a sharp way to change things up.

Image via blackwomennaturalhairstyles.com

2. Cut ‘em short. If you’ve worn your locs long for years and want something new consider a cut that frames your face. Claire did hers last year to rave reviews.

Image via blackwomennaturalhairstyles.com

3. Curl ‘em. Want a new way to rock texture? Grab some bendable curling rods and get to work. Need help? Check out You Tube loc styling sensations like Chescaleigh for tips and more.

Image via blackwomennaturalhairstyles.com

4. Put them in an updo.

Image via lecoil.tumblr.com

If you have medium to longer length locs, sweep them into an updo or bun for a quick way to style your hair. There’s a gazillion ways to do one. Get some tips and tricks from You Tube user fauryn78.

5. Add in accessories. Whether you have starter locs or locs that reach your ankles, add in cute accessories to change up your look. Try some cute headbands (or go to your local fabric store and make your own in like 30 seconds), hats (typically you’ll need larger, “stretchier” hats to fit your locs which is also something you can do yourself), and earrings add character and diversity to your hair.

I’d even consider a bold lipstick or elaborate eye makeup as an accessory. Playing around with makeup allows you to have tons of versatility with your style. It’s no wonder so many of the fiercest faces in makeup I know wear locs.

Image via blackwomennaturalhairstyles.com

6. Color them. Adding in warm tones of honey, blonde, or red can not only change the look of your hair but can also brighten up your face. Funky colors like blue and purple add edge.

Peep the gallery below for a few more options.

And since sharing is caring, leave comments on how you wear your locs :)

~Danielle

Posted In
25 comments

25 Responses to “6 Different Ways to Style Your Locs”

1. shortylox says:

hey that picture from that website blackwomennaturalhairstyles.com she has a hair salon called fabulocs its the BEST HAIR SALON EVER..TRUST ME

2. lala says:

loving all the looks on these black queens!

3. Keri says:

I love that you did a piece on locks.I’ve had them for 4years and I appreciate when people do stories about them.Great Job!!

4. dyshaun says:

They all look fab.

5. sun.kissed says:

Oh emm gee! Makes me want some, after my mom told me that I better not yesterday…

6. Hellomusicworld.com says:

I want some now!

7. binks says:

Very cute, going to suggest some of these to my friend.

8. Lex says:

Cute. I think Im going to get locs in my 30′s or 40′s. I like the versatility of my free flowing natural hair now.

9. Kim says:

Thank you for this post. I have had my locs now for almost 2 yrs. Recently I started wearing them in a curly style. I used the flexible rollers and they work great. I love the look and others seem to also.

10. Cassie says:

Are there different styles for forming locs? For instance, Jill Scott’s and the lady with the blonde locs look different from the girl with the hat (not talking about size-they seem “smoother” for lack of a better word). Just curious. (maybe it’s texture or is it size?)

11. the truth says:

Beautiful.

12. Beautiful, I love it!

My hair is not in locs but I was actually thinking about doing Twisties.

13. KBS says:

Nice, That updo is cute until you get into a car, it’s nearly impossible to drive with that hair! Loced 5 years and I keeps ‘em fried, dyed, and laid to the side!!

14. BlaqCurrant says:

I started locing my hair on February 4, 2006, and I only wish I had loc’d my l hair sooner; I wear straight my locs down in up-do’s, and a curly-wavy look for when I want texture.

@ Cassie – it’s more about hair texture, and also method of locing and the size of the locs, my sister has been locing for a lot longer than I have, her locs are colored and her locs are like the lady with the blonde locs that you were referring to, mine are more like the young woman in the turquoise tank top in texture and style, you can’t determine how the texture of your locs is going to turn out, during my loc process my locs went through many stages; baby hair curly, some hairs were straight, a wavy stage, fuzzy stage it just depends on the texture of your hair.

15. Annie says:

Thanks for the link to blackwomennaturalhairstyles, I’m in natural heaven on the textured fro page.

16. Cherokee says:

My bestie has locs and she is always rocking the fresh new styles. Did i just say fresh? I really love it. These pics are beautiful.

17. I’ve had my locs since February 2008, and I can honestly say it’s been the best change I’ve made. I have been wanting to dye it but I fear having to use hair bleach in my hair because i have jet black hair. If you can provide any tips on how to lighten your hair naturally or in a way that doesn’t damage your hair, I’d be eternally grateful :)

18. This was a great article. I have locks and find it so hard to keep my look fresh and new. I loved the styles posted here! Thanks!

19. llehsal says:

I sooooo want a dreadlocks now

20. sublimesoulace says:

I have had my locs for 12 years. Honestly, when they get as long as mine are (thigh length), they get more difficult to style! Up dos are great, if you have the neck strength to hold 9lbs of hair up! Braid them while wet to get a crinkled look, or knot them (like bantus) and when they are released, you will get a loose coil look. Locs are very versatile because you can do everything you would with “straight” hair, and more. It’s also difficult to color or dye locs, as they can be very dense and require harsh chemicals, sometimes bleach, to penetrate and give ideal color. I have many tips and experiences, mostly trial and error since most people with locs are more about the journey and less about the look or fashion statements.

21. Cheryl says:

Love this article. When I began my Locs 19 yrs ago I was virtually in many parts a loner. I am so happy to see how Black women have embraced this style. Over the course of 19 yrs I have cut my Locs 3x and they are now mid-shoulder length and I use pipe-cleaners to curl them. Love them Love them.

22. nicole says:

I love the pics. I’ve been wearing locs since 2001 and for the last few months I’ve been thinking about taking them out (i’ve taken at least 6 out and it is a long process). Thanks for the pics, they are an inspiration and encouragement to try something different with my locs until I figure out what I want to do. I wear my locs straight most of the time or braid them when they are wet to get the coil look. I have lots of gray at 35 and I think thats why I want a change. Decisions decisions.Thanks for the post.

23. lovelylocer says:

thank you for the article and pics. i just started the locing process 3 weeks ago with the two strand twist method. i can’t wait for them to start locing.

24. zy says:

I could hug you guys for this post! I’ve had locs for almost 4years now and they were the absolute BEST decision I’ve ever made with my hair (besides going natural in the first place, lol). I LOVE each and every one of my locs and I swear I feel ultra sexy all the time with them, lol. I started coloring mine about 1.5 years ago and i love them even more! locs are definitely a labor of love but they are so worth the work!

25. Lily says:

I’ve had longs for almost 20 years now. I tried growing them long but got tired of the time it took to dry and the weight of them. So I mostly wear them in a cute little inverted bob similar to Claire’s. I’ve noticed that women with locks don’t avail themselves as much as they could to loc versatility. You really can cut them into almost any style, in addition to curling them and coloring them. I would love to see more women do more looks than just the usual long, hanging down the back look, which sometimes looks a little heavy and severe.