January 7th, 2011
Fashion Discussion, Fashion News
Style Verdict: Stockings with Open Toe Shoes?

Bomb reader Cherise wrote in recently with a burning question. She said, “What’s the rule on pantyhose and open-toe shoes?”

The short answer? Rock it.
Though I wouldn’t personally be as adventurous as Ms. Minaj with pink tights, I think wearing black or sheer stockings with peep or open toes is totally fine. Traditionally it’s a no-no and closed toes are preferred, but what else are you going to do with your open toed booties or suede peep toes in the winter?

If you’re very self conscious about wearing colored tights with open toes, then wear a sheer or nude colored stocking to give off the illusion of a bare leg.

Just make sure your pantyhose are as close to your skin tone as possible (so nothing looks off).
That’s just my opinion, but I’d love to hear what you guys have to say.
What do you think–can one rock stockings with open toe shoes?

Posted In
42 comments

42 Responses to “Style Verdict: Stockings with Open Toe Shoes?”

1. GummiBear says:

Eh. I don’t really like it. I think Bey looks straight outta middle school with that outfit. Am i wrong? Sowwie :/

2. Kaliente says:

Yesssssss if done right….I think peep toes are FINE, now strappy heels..and things like that to me=no bueno.

3. Oh how funny! lol

JUST yesterday I bought some fuschia stockings ala Minaj to wear with some boots.

I also picked up some neon colored socks to wear with my heels.

I’ll post up some photos once I wear them!

4. [...] information was posted on The Fashion Bomb Blog /// All Urban Fashion… All the Time Please support this site by clicking on the link above [...]

5. Jennifer says:

I never knew this was a “rule”. I’ve always seen it done.

6. Dinka Don says:

Yes yes yes! My sis hates it, but I love it! A total do! Especially in the winter and at grandma’s house! lol

7. Dinka Don says:

Not lovin’ the way Nicki does it, but Bey and Chanel do it like I would!

8. dread_dujour says:

I think it’s a good look (only because I saw it executed in person). Saw a random lady the other morning with the same tight color/shoe combo as Nicki, she rocked it with a peeptoe pump.

9. dyshaun says:

I was going to be worried if the majority said no! I love tights and toes LOL

10. BOOBOO says:

Nikki’s look-do not attempt
    I agree with GummiBear bey look lik a big axx 8th grader. I think it only looks good with black tights n blck peep-toe shoes.

11. Powerful Beauty says:

Not trying to carry you Claire, I love you and your blog. However, “ordinary” women have been doing this for years and have been ridiculed, being called tacky and so forth. I just think it is funny that as soon as someone famous wears it, it is okay. Oh well, welcome to America. That is why I just say, “do your own thing.”

12. Drea says:

With peep toes yes! With sandals, no!!!!

13. Dobe says:

YES! I do it all the time, and don’t care if there’s a rule of not! lol
    I usually stick to black opaque tights, though. Nothing looks out of place.

14. sun.kissed says:

Stockings and peep toes are a do only if they are black opaque tights. If they are colorful you’re best wearing a boot to the knee at least.

15. esme says:

i’ve done it with black or nude tights, not colored ones. i think that’s tacky.

16. I’m from Florida so when it’s cold, I’ll be damned if someone tells me I can’t wear my tights and high heels strappy sandals together. We are in a recession and quite frankly, I don’t feel like wearing all 3 of my pairs of boots all the time :) Rock on tights with open toes!

17. I agree with @Kaliente 100%. I’ve rocked the look with bright pink tights like Nicki Minaj with booties but sandals or strappy heels is a no for me.

18. This is why I love The Fashion Bomb, because I was just asking this question!

I like the way Chanel Iman rocked it!

19. Soul Touch says:

I do it all the time, normally with patterned pantyhose like Chanel Iman…I have tons of different patterns from fishnets to flowers.

20. i think you can get away with it with sheer and black/lace.

other than that, they make footless stockings…

21. Pattie says:

I do it all the time. I love peep toe shoes and tights. Its too cold not to wear something on your legs just because you want to wear a pair of peep toe pumps.

22. binks says:

I say it al depends on the outfit, stockings and shoes. All open toe shoes aren’t made the same so you have to find a perfect balance but I don’t see anything wrong with it especially with black/nude stockings like mention as for the colorful stockings that may be a stretch

23. Daisy says:

I love wearing fishnet stockings with peep toes.

24. Grace says:

Ummm, is it just me or do they not specifically make “sandal-toe” stockings for this purpose?

25. MP says:

I guess it can be done well because Chanel Iman’s look is not hurting my eyes. However, I think it’s rare because Beyonce and Nicki Minaj are killing me softly.

IRL I’m usually just wishing folk would invest in closed toe shoes and boots.

26. Miss Smith says:

Sometimes people wear it well but if it’s cold enough for me to put some tights on, then it’s too cold for my toes to be out.

27. Just Dionne says:

Im a little on the fence w/ this one. Ive wanted to wear a pair of colored tights for the longest, but haent figured out how to pull it off.

28. E says:

i have always read that stockings are perfectly fine as long as they are NOT reinforced toe. lol

29. MissMikelah says:

I wouldn’t with strappy sandals, only peep toe pumps

30. I say rock it til the heels fall off! I actually wore some fuschia tights with some brown booties that I have not too long ago and didn’t think twice about it. It’s cold and err my booties are open toe. I don’t see any other option lol

31. Maryse says:

I agree with GummiBear about the Beyonce outfit. It would look so much nicer on someone years younger… And about the tights, I haven’t rocked it as such, but the way C.I. there is rocking it it looks ok. The Minaj way is not(!) the way to go (for me)!

32. Skye says:

I’m all for the look when its done right. Chanel pulls it off beautifully whereas Nicki looks a mess (shocking…NOT!) and Beyonce looks ridiculous with her Girl Scout-esque ensemble.

Yet at the end of the day everyone must find what works for them. :)

33. I agree with the rule of sheer, nude, or black pantyhose with black pumps. I think Minaj’s pink look works for her but not for the average fashionista.

34. I find it looks best when worn with sheer or nude pantyhose .

35. Aww… am I the only one who likes Nicki’s look??

I think it’s fresh and fun. If the boots were shorter, I think the fuschia tights would be overwhelming, but since they are knee highs, the tights are mostly covered, so it’s not that in your face.

I think people would like her outfit better if the hair and makeup were more toned down maybe. :\

36. candylicker says:

Ugghh, will someone PLEASE help Bey, lay her clothes out for her in the morning. I am getting sick of her constantly looking ridiculous.

37. Um no says:

NO! Beauty is pain, sorry hunnie bunns* Endure the chill because this is eww.

38. torn says:

cute style nicki and beyonce

39. [...] garden or a rainy day out. You're feet will be firmly planted in this supportive, closed-toe shoe. Incredibly lightweight and comfortable, the Clog is perfect for the garden or a rainy day out. You'…comfortable, the Clog is perfect for the garden or a rainy day out. You're feet will be firmly [...]

40. Julia says:

Preach! It’s so interesting to read about other people’s perspective on this issue. I, for one, am a big believer in wearing stockings with open-toed shoes. What else are you supposed to do in winter? Anyway, thanks for the fun read!