December 22nd, 2010
Best of 2010, Cassie, Celebrity Style
Best of 2010: Fashionista of the Year

Hey Guys!
So it’s time for our ultimate showdown. That’s right, Fashionista of the Year.

You guys sent in your nominations, and this year’s contenders are Rihanna, June Ambrose, Kerry Washington, Shingai Shoniwa, Cassie, Solange, Tracee Ellis Ross, Kelly Rowland, and Kim Kardashian. Let’s take a look at some of their best outfits, shall we?

1. Rihanna

Rihanna has gone home with the title of Fashionista of the Year for 2007, 2008, and 2009. Rihanna even won by default after we tried to take her out of the race and give other fashionistas a chance to shine.

With the help of her stylist Mariel Haenn, Rihanna’s fashion reign was unstoppable, and this year saw her not only adopting a new hairstyle, but a new vibrant wardrobe to match.

She took risks, and whether you liked it or not, you loved her for pushing the sartorial envelope.

As she said in her hit So Hard, “I’ma run this $hit like fashion, as in, going til they say…stop/My runway never looked so clear/Got the hottest chick in heels right here.

Agreed.

2. June Ambrose

June Ambrose has been working behind the scenes for years, creating camera ready outfits for Jay-Z, Chrisette Michele, Diddy, and Missy Elliott. 2010 saw her stepping into the limelight and garnering attention for her very own lustworthy looks.

Her bubbly personality, undeniable business sense, and sick wardrobe put her on the radar of the folks over at Vh1. Expect to see her in her own reality show very soon.

3. Kerry Washington

We already waxed on about her beauty attributes, but Kerry Washington has a great sense of style as well.

She stayed on best dressed lists rocking designer threads that weren’t overbearing in their trendiness, but fresh and contemporary nonetheless.

4. Shingai Shoniwa

The lead singer for the Noisettes has stolen our hearts thanks to her haute hair, makeup, and adventurous style choices.

She went from Undercover Fashionista in 2009 to on our best dressed list this go round, and brought her funky British aesthetic to everything she wore.

5. Kim Kardashian

Kim’s family owns a chain of clothing boutiques, so it’s no surprise she’s into fashion.

With the help of her stylist, Monica Rose, she plucked outfits that suited her curvy silhouette played up by accessories that cinched her waist and framed her gorgeous face.

6. Solange

Solange took fashion risks, wearing patterns, combinations, and lengths that most of us would be too shy to try.

Unapologetically unique, she worked whatever she was wearing to the hilt–and we loved her for it.

7. Zoe Kravitz

Zoe Kravitz had no choice but to be beautiful, with parents like Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet.

Daddy’s little girl took off swimmily this year, securing acting roles and an ad campaign with Alexander Wang.

8. Kelly Rowland

Though Kelly’s wigs were thrown into question this year, her wardrobe left no room for discussion.

She sizzled in frocks by Dolce & Gabbana, Georges Chakra, and Burberry, twirling around in Christian Louboutin heels and Zanotti stunners.

9. Tracee Ellis Ross

Tracee has always been known for her style, ever since her days as the fierce Joan Clayton of Girlfriends fame.

This year she proposed her own look, comprised of wide legged pants, fun rompers, and, of course, fly shoes.

10. Cassie

Cassie gets a bad rap. Some wonder why she’s famous, others think she can’t sing. One thing is undeniable: her great taste.

She wowed us this year in dresses by Herve Leger and furs by Isabel Marant. She even made her fashion show debut walking for LaQuan Smith’s Spring/Summer 2011 show.

Lovely.

That does it!
Who do you think should be 2010′s Fashionista of the Year?

Winners in all categories will be announced tomorrow! Also, stay tuned for our Best of 2010 Trends piece.

46 Responses to “Best of 2010: Fashionista of the Year”

1. LoudPen says:

Fellow fashion bombers & bombettes, I love Rihanna but please vote for someone else. She’s won two years in a row, she’s uber flyy but let’s switch it up!

2. simmer says:

Kourtney has way better style than Kim. She should be in the race instead IMO.

3. zimbabwechic says:

Rihanna, Tracee Ellis Ross and as a proud Zimbabwean I’m a huge Shingai stan.

4. BeanSoup says:

Cassie all the WAY! Though I loved Joan, I mean Tracee and June is my favorite stylist. Cassie took it this year!

5. Mrs Windy City says:

@simmer I gree! Kourtney has a mixture of vintage and current… loves her

I vote for Cassie

6. esme says:

i thin rihanna (as usual), shingai, kim and, and zoe kravitz killed it this year. i don’t and will never get the fascination with june ambrose and her baggy clothes that never fit.

7. I chose Tracee, June and Solange. I just love all three’s style.

8. Amber says:

Solange is my fave! she mixes vintage, hipster, and high fashion together. Rihanna has been failing fashion-wise in my opinion. She changes look every album.

9. stacey says:

zoe! or solo!

10. sun.kissed says:

I have so many favorites on this list. But once again, I must ask how did Joan, ah hmmm Tracee make this list? Loves me some her, but she was MIA in this week in chic pots and otherwise. Same goes for Zoe, not loving her as much though.

11. Rih-Rih hands down. The others are cool, but no competition!

12. Amanda says:

Say what you want about Kim, but 99.9% of the time she gets it right. She has my vote. Rihanna went too far left this year imo.

13. FashionEdytorTN says:

This lineup rocks most def…but I personally dont think that Kelly belongs. Dont get me wrong, I love her, but I dont think she deserves to be among the most fashionable..this year, for that matter. Everyone else..Thumbs up!

14. FashionEdytorTN says:

OAN: I forgot to add that my vote was between Kim K. Rhianna and Solange…and um…Rihanna wins. I mean, she wins MY vote. Lol!

15. dread_dujour says:

I can’t pick all the ladies do damage fashion wise imo. Cassie killed it for me in that gold Laquan number though; I need something like that in my closet for NYE!!!

16. Kitana says:

I agree with another poster, Kourtney should bein the line up, Kim dresses like an old wealthy widow thats trying to be sexy….

17. Kitana says:

Oh those Ruthies Kim’s wearing, I was never able to find them in my size when they were in season. Almost 2 years later I’m still lookin for a pre owned pair lol…..

18. I really like Cassie’s style this year. And Solange’s as well. Rih Rih’s my girl but I had to go with Kerry this year!

19. Lola says:

Shingai has the most original style. Rihanna, Cassie etc are simply products of a stylist.

20. jj says:

I thought I was the only one who noticed that Kourtney has a better style than Kim. For the longest time I’ve felt that way.

21. Miss Smith says:

Oooh I’ve been waiting to vote for this one. Now time for me to decide. Solange or Kerry? Solange or Kerry?

22. I’d love to see a feature on the stylists behind the artist…

23. pretty pink ribbon says:

for me its between shanghai and solange
    Shanghai because shes absolutely stunning and because she has that hawte azz uk style
    Solange is my other pic because im 99.9 percent sure that she dresses herself, which is something a lot of folks in hollywood (includung her sis) dont do

24. Mrs.Gz says:

I agree 100% about Kourtney K!!! She is very underrated on the fashion scene and though I think Kim is cool,, she reminds me of J.Lo via the Diddy/Affleck years. Rihanna didnt seem as effortless to me this year, so my vote is for June. But I love me some V.Beckham!!

25. chrissy says:

nah i dont think rih got it in the bag this year, her style was a miss way more often than it was a hit, sometimes even hot mess worthy, the others are good canidates

26. the truth says:

Most Improved: Kelly Rowland
    Most Unique: Tie between Solange and Rihanna

27. Lis says:

I love cassie but i gotta say I would have to vote for solange she seems more my sorta style and not following trends as much as cassie.

28. Mo says:

RhiRhi is simply a [walking] clothes hanger. Her stylist should be in the running, if anything. Original style should win!!

29. Jennifer says:

I had to vote for Rihanna because hers is the most versatile. Kim K only wears body con body con body con… I would love to see her switch it up, yes she has GREAT curves but lets try something different.

30. CeCe says:

My vote goes to Shingai Shoniwa. She doesn’t get enough credit for her style.

31. Terri says:

JUNE AMBROSE! It’s only right and high time to recognize the actual stylist! Rihanna, Kim, Kelly, etc. are all products of their stylist.

32. LivvyV says:

I’m sorry but I have to say Solange is killing it hands down. Then comes Kerry, June, Zoe, and Tracey. These women are truly unique without trying to hard. Rihanna I’m so over her, she tries to hard and 60% to 70% it fails. The red hair was the start and socks and heels with a long colorful skirt. Not everything on the runway needs to be taken to the streets. And she one of the singers I believe trys to hard for no reason.

33. MsCoLo says:

Rih fell off, Solange FTW!!!!!!!

34. Danni says:

rihanna , cassie , shingai ,& solo

35. Dorothy says:

SOLANGE!!!!!!!!!!! She is so fly and completely pushes the satorial envelope. All her outfits from her recent DJ excursion are such an inspiration.

36. Mag'Style says:

for me its between shanghai, Zoe and solange

37. Trasee says:

It’s not exactly fair… there were more pictures of Rihanna than any other fashionista. As far as creativity goes, I’d go for Solange. Plus, I think she dresses herself. She’s always tweeting about picking up random things, and then you later see her in them. I don’t think she works with a stylist for most of her looks, unlike Rih.

38. Crys says:

I am also surprised Kourtney K. wasn’t nominated

39. Claire says:

@Trasee Rihanna has one more picture than Cassie who is trailing behind her significantly…and the one more pic of Rihanna is her in the Miu Miu long dress/socks/pumps outfit that was universally given a big old Hmmm….

@EveryoneElse If you wanted Kourtney Kardashian, you would have had to nominate her. I read all the comments from the nomination post, not one had Kourtney, so…for next year you can throw her hat into the ring.
    xx

40. Fashionbum82 says:

CASSIE!!!! SHE NEVER FAILS!

41. Bonifant says:

I protest where is Zoe Saldana?!?!?!

KIM K ALL DAY! And whats crazy is im a die-had Rih Rih fan, but I was not impressed with her look this year- i think it was the hair that threw me off.

43. candylicker says:

Can’t take Rhi Rhi out – she’s the best, any hoo – Im not feeling number 4, should put kim at 4, then kelly

44. Tamika says:

Rihanna felll off haaaaaaard this year plz stop voting for her!

45. LiveFashionably says:

Im annoyed that rihanna is in the lead. Obviously just a bunch of Rihanna fans voting because the world knows she fell off this year. Waaaay more misses than hits. Even if votes are based on the pictures shown, she fails. My vote is for Solange or Kerry.