October 28th, 2010
Party, Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Fall Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Day Party

Tawanda says, “I am prepping for a day party in late February/early March. My question is: what can I wear to be cute, fashionable, and warm?”
I love long sleeve wool dresses for the winter, and a wrap option with a plunging neckline would be the perfect choice for a daytime fall/winter fete. Slip on a pair of knee high boots and a faux fur vest for added warmth. Go for drama with a wide brim felt hat and a splash of Chanel No. 5:

As with all Style Inspirations, the items above are pretty pricey. We found you several options to help you recreate this look for every budget:

What do you think?

Posted In
11 comments

11 Responses to “Fall Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Day Party”

1. SHOEFETISH says:

I luv this look.. FAB

2. vonnie says:

a great wrap dress or sweater dress with high boots is sooooo chic yet sexy! love it

vonnie

3. Well this look appears quite cute, fashionable, and warm! :)

4. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by The Fashion Bomb!, Urban Gossip App. Urban Gossip App said: Urban Gossip iPhone App | Fall Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Day Party: Tawanda says, “I am… http://bit.ly/bNq9tA #AfricanAmerican [...]

5. Toni says:

luv, luv, love it !!!

6. Tomorrow says:

I am curious..is this day party for CIAA tournament in Charlotte, NC?

7. Claire says:

@Tomorrow It is for the CIAA tournament! I didn’t know what that was, so edited the reader query accordingly. Would this be appropriate for that?
    I think it might be a little overdressed depending on the situation, BUT my motto is it’s better to be overdressed than underdressed…it’s better to turn heads with an outfit than to be ignored. Right?

8. Joanne_ says:

that hat is tha business…for some reason this look reminds of the engagement party scene in brown sugar where Sanaa’s character is dressed in this cute dress…only me? okay lol
    #random

9. Simms says:

Claire…great looks. That hat is giving me everything and those shades of brown are bringing it.
    p.s. Have I ever mentioned that you’re my “friend in my head”? When you lived in NY before I was always on the lookout for you on the subway or at Habana Outpost!!

10. Tomorrow says:

I don’t think it is overdressed depending on the party. I am a CIAA fanatic. So there are many upscale parties as well as day parties were a nice ‘fit that you would wear to HBCU homecoming would apply. I will (swagger jacking) I mean creating my own version of this for one of the parties. :)

11. 40Girlinmotion says:

I am attending the CIAA in Charlotte for the first time ever…I am excited about getting out and meeting new people and having fun. Like Clair I wondered what to wear to these types of events..thanks for the forum to get insight!