September 21st, 2010
Fashion News, Rihanna, Trend
10 Fall 2010 Trends: Ponchos, Shearling, Velvet, and More!

Hey Guys!
So it’s way past time to start gearing up for autumn! And of course the Fashion Bomb is here to help you break down the top 10 Fall 2010 trends, provide advice on how to wear them, and offer suggestions on items you can get now to make sure you’re fly just in time for the first leaf drop.

Check out what you need to gear up:
1. Ponchos & Capes:

As seen at: Temperley London, Altuzarra, and G Star Raw.

How You Wear it:

Whether charcoal gray or technicolor, minimalist or large and dramatic, capes and ponchos are the new fall cover up. Slip one on with a pair of skinny jeans or go for saucy with a mini and a pair of high boots.

Suggestions:

2. Velvet & Velour

As seen at: Alexander Wang, Jean Paul Gaultier, and Diane von Furstenberg.

How You Wear it:

Velvet is best in short and chic spurts. Slip on a mini dress or pull on a pair of velvet leggings.

Suggestions:

3. Camel

As seen at: Zac Posen, Derek Lam, Chloé, and Erin Fetherston.

How You Wear it:

We have a new classic color! Stash your white and black to the side and welcome a little camel into your wardrobe. Slip on a camel dress like at Zac Posen, or opt for a timeless camel coat, as demonstrated at Chloé. For guys? Try a full on suit!

Suggestions:

4. Animal Prints

As seen at: Temperley London, Vivienne Westwood Red Label, and Blumarine.

How You Wear it:

Go crazy with a wild leopard dress, or even a fun accessory (we love shoes and bags).

Suggestions:

5. Wide, Roomy Pants

As seen at: Carolina Herrera and 3.1 Phillip Lim.

How You Wear it:

Balance out your wide pants with a fitted, tailored top.

Suggestions:

6. Military Chic

As seen at: Aquascatum and Temperley London.

How You Wear it:

Military jackets are always chic. Also try a military cap for bad hair days.

Suggestions:

7. Lovely Lace

As seen at: Dolce & Gabbana

How You Wear it:

Feminine lace is best worn in skirt or dress form.
Suggestions:

8. Fur Accents

As seen at: Dennis Basso, Michael Kors, and DSquared 2.

How You Wear it:

Opt for a faux fur hat, coat, or stole.

Suggestions:

9. Sheer

As seen at: Anne Valérie Hash and Jen Kao.
How You Wear it:

This is not for the shy, but in case you want to try without revealing all, wear a sheer top under a tailored blazer, or slip a camisole underneath everything.

Suggestions:

10. Shearling

As seen at: House of Holland, Mulberry, and Sophie Theallet.
How You Wear it:

Take it back to the 80′s with a super warm shearling coat, or go bananas like Nicole Richie in HOT shearling boots.

Suggestions:

Which trend will you try?
Pix from Style.com.

25 Responses to “10 Fall 2010 Trends: Ponchos, Shearling, Velvet, and More!”

1. If I only had to pick one piece, a camel colored cape is my must have item. I’ll be hitting up my local thrift shop to see if I can find something!

2. Jamie Love says:

Wow Claire! Prop to you for putting this list together. Thats why your the bomb! hehe
    Love the sheer and of course animal print. meow!
    xx

3. I can definitely see some velour leggings and a velour mini in my wardrobe ASAP! And the poncho’s…YES ma’am to that!

4. B.Nichole says:

Awesome list! Camel is definitely going to be my go to color this fall and into spring! Thanks for putting this list together and giving us great ideas!

5. wallflower says:

This is the post I’ve been waiting for!!!!!!!

I got my leopard wedge booties, my lace body suits, my combat boots, and my skinny camel cargo pants… Now all need is sheer, velvet, and really cute pair of shearling ankle booties!

6. Great post. Luv that you used models of color.

7. Aja says:

I absolutely LOVE this post. I’ve got the Military and leopard down. I need a fur vest and some lace now!! lol

8. Great details. I’m a huge fan of camel and animal prints.

Did military ever go out though? I have a military jacket that I got from Zara 2 years ago and it’s still going strong. I must be a trendsetter. lol

9. Mz. Bronze says:

OMG!!!! Ladies…now this is fashion feast for the soul. The model in the Temperly London Yellow/Black w/ruffle dress is killing it. I’m in love! Really… Hormones that have been dormant for decades is alive now. Oh God how I’m in love with all things Camel. How did a gentle soft color make such a powerful impact this fall? I’m amazed. Don’t know how I’m going to wear my faux fur in the SF Bay Area w/all these PETA fanatics and animal rights activist around. I guess I’ll just have to carry my mace in my new Louis Vuitton.

10. Mz. Bronze says:

This site needs a web feature so we can talk about this post for at least 2 weeks.

11. fashion says:

Wow, very beautiful clothing.

12. Joanne_ says:

i’m feeling the lace!!

13. [...] Guys! So while I introduced some of fall’s hottest trends yesterday, you still may be scratching your head as to how to incorporate ponchos, capes, and [...]

14. Ms. AshleyK. says:

Claire you are the BOMB!!!! Thx for all the great suggs. I think I’ll be trying them all this winter. Variety is always good. :-)

15. sun.kissed says:

Cute stuff Claire! I love Kim K.’s cape.

16. teal1066 says:

Really great collection..Looking forward to see more..This stuff is also reintroduced in fall fashion trends..

17. Cleveland Cutie says:

Great Post!

18. Sandy Diego says:

Need fashion advice!

I just bought a pair of camel shearing ankle booties with fold-out cuffs and 2inch heels (looks like the one by Guess pictured here) and need help on how to wear them. Leggings, skinny jeans, mini skirts…what color and texture to make it look spiffy? Can you give specifics?

thanks!!

19. The Costume Lady says:

Hi Sandy,
    The best thing to do to show off your booties and yet not let all eyes focus on them is to wear some skinny jeans and a poncho that sets the style for the shearling booties. Maybe an animal print trim on the poncho, something rustic to compliment the boots. Brown, beige and tan shades, more animalistic and yet keep it classy and not trashy. Show off your figure with figure fitting items underneath the poncho, thus the skinny jeans. What is left to the imagination is much more classy in the eye of the beholder.

20. Anne says:

Wow, awesome, comprehensive coverage of fall trends!! I’m personally all over the velvet look just posted some of my favorite affordable pieces from this fall on my blog at seriouslyfashionblog.com.

21. [...] it only fitting to make today sort’ve a men-centered day. We’ve already been over how shearling is super hot for women, but men love it for winter as well. Kanye West, Jamie Foxx, Usher, and more have all been spotted [...]

22. Fashionstyle says:

looks like so much fun cool photos

23. [...] only).” We took his vintage advice and updated for 2010 with the same idea, remixed with a few modern trends: shearling and military chic. Since it will most likely be a little nippy in late October, we [...]