September 16th, 2010
Beauty, Hair
Transition Hairstyles for Growing Out Short Hair
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Growing out a short hair cut can be a pain! I’ve done it twice in life—once after cutting my hair super short in junior high and just a few years ago after cutting my hair back in 2005. It can be painful, but the hardest part is probably being patient. Can’t even tell you how long I spent in front of the mirror “watching” my hair grow *smh*.

But here’s some tips to help you along:

1. Remember that trimming/cutting the hair does not stimulate hair growth. There’s a silly rumor that’s been going around for ages about that. All a trim does is make your ends look neater. Also split ends won’t likely run up the hair shaft and cause the rest of your hair to split. They can make the hair appear less tidy so if they pop up during a transition stage when you have so much going on, already give them a light trim. Also steer clear of scissor happy stylists. Many women trim their own hair or enlist a friend with a steady hand or be sure you left your stylist show you where they intended to cut before they cut.

2. The one thing that made me super unhappy when I was growing out my hair is that at one point my hair grew and fell where my face was its widest. When horizontal lines (created by the ends of the hair) hit a place that’s full, it makes that area look even wider. So my hair at that point made my face look sooooo huge…lol. When your hair gets to that stage, try to keep it off the face.

3. Grab some cute headbands and hair accessories. They will be life savers for when a section of your hair grows faster than others. This is perfect for days when you just want to get up and go. You can comb your hair back away from your face and plop on a headband.

4. Lay off the heat. Hair will always grow, but retaining that length is key. Try to avoid heat styling so you’re not sabotaging your hair growth efforts. Try a wet wrap (use a silk or satin scarf to secure the hair) and let the hair air dry. This is ideally done a few hours before you go to bed so you wake up with your hair dry. Put some Moroccanoil Oil Treatment (www.moroccanoil.com for locations) on your wet hair to help speed up the air drying process.

5. If you crave long hair in an instant get wiggy with it and try out a cute wig or hair extensions.

Some hair ideas/inspiration (click to enlarge):

Posted In
12 comments

12 Responses to “Transition Hairstyles for Growing Out Short Hair”

love it, wish this was around about 2 months ago when i needed something to do with my hair during my transition!

2. I am so happy that included the pictures of Nia Long, Kelly Rowland and Janet Jackson because they have some really cute cuts. This article came right on time because I was just thinking about whether or not I wanted to cut my hair again. I ultimately decided that I’ll just let it grow out. Thank you for the tips!

3. Lola Brazil says:

I LOVE this article, especially with fall and winter right around the corner. I’ve got a buzz cut on the sides and pompadour curly top. But I’ve been thinking about growing mine back out now that summer is over and transitioning is the most annoying thing ever, despite the fact that my hair grows extremely fast. So thanks for this!

4. Erica says:

do you have any suggestions on how to grow out a short, relaxed hair style when transitioning to natural hair? I’m anti-fake hair, I’m not even going to test my hair with the heat, so basically, my hair is always a hot mess! lol

5. kikialexander says:

Yea this article was very helpful…i have been debating about growing are cutting lately. And the most important thing is maintaining the hair in between transitioning

6. I’ve been using hair accessories galore trying to keep my transitiong hair cute. Nia Long and Janet never go wrong in the hair dept. I will be stealing a look or two from them.

7. binks says:

great tips, I been growing out my short cut and these tips are useful

8. Danielle says:

Thanks for the feedback, ladies!

@Erica you can try straw sets, braid-outs, twist-outs, etc. which can look cute on short hair, but since your hair is cut short already, why not just big/medium chop? :)

9. Tiffany says:

Would anyone know the estimated time it would take to grow out a hair cut as short as Halle Berry’s

10. Mel says:

Good article. I am currently attmepting to grow out a pixie and was looking for styles for my in between akward stages when I found this article. Helpful and soooo need to buy some accessories now lol. Happy growing!

11. Arron says:

Such collections have much less numbers of timepieces and so all the people who possess these pieces
    can be counted on fingers or form a small community of their own.

Thus, any brand whether it is Gucci, Movado, Cartier or any other
    brand, is genuine. Bell & Ross is a worthwhile investment, especially when it
    offers fantastic range under the group of watches like vintage, aviation and marine.

12. Dee says:

Great read, I’ve been thinking to grow my hair out but this has given me motivation.