September 8th, 2010
Celebrity Style, Style Verdict
Style Makeover: Venus Williams’ US Open Outfits

We’ve all seen them.
That’s right, Venus Williams’ thigh-riding, shock-inducing US Open tennis outfits.

I’m not even going to ask you guys if they’re hot or hmm…they’re a whole lot of hmm.

Venus has the skin tone and body type to pull most things off, but these do nothing for her.

I applaud Venus for showing a little flair on the court (she likened her frocks to a burst of fireworks), but there are ways you can reveal your personality without distracting or detracting from your style game.
We’ve taken the liberty of suggesting a few brightly colored tennis dresses she can wear to up her chic quotient. She can still go for short and sexy while adding a little umph with a pleated skirt, asymmetric straps, or sheer details :

What do you think?

Posted In
17 comments

17 Responses to “Style Makeover: Venus Williams’ US Open Outfits”

1. stefanie says:

just wrong

2. Leigh says:

i wouldn’t mind the top as much if she had a nice skirt with it.

otherwise, it’s tasteless.

3. I don’t like the outfit for playing in a big tournament solely on the basis that it restricts her from moving back and forth on the court.

4. candylicker says:

Somebody PLEASE help her, she clearly needs help. She can not get dressed by herself.

5. Jasmine says:

actually saw the black one in action on friday, and it was fine (even cute – gasp!) in person. you really went out of your way to pick the LEAST flattering pics of it, huh? silly.

@Beauty… — if she wasn’t able to move, she wouldn’t wear it. i have a feeling performance would outweigh “fashion” in this case. in any case, she trounced her opponent in straight sets wearing that.

6. Yea these outfits are a bit “hmm”, but these girls are on point and some of their other designs are pretty official. They can be credited for bringing fashion to tennis for sure.

7. sun.kissed says:

I hope she somehow see’s this post. Those garments are straight up ugly and distracting. Funny that she did a colabo with RL, why doesn’t she just wear some of his ish instead of the mess she designs…

8. LoudPen says:

I kinda like em. #kanyeshrug

9. cityslicka says:

Please, shes a WORLD class athlete. She can wear what she wants. Its not like shes walking the streets in these outfits!

10. Layla says:

Yes, she’s a world class athlete, but we don’t live in a post racial society. People look at her and deconstruct what she’s wearing..and even if she doesn’t want to be, she is representing her race to the world. She should do better. Those outfits are a mess. And I don’t think this post is tearing her down, just suggesting better outfits. She’d look much better with something else.

11. I agree with the earlier comments in regards to Venus Williams bringing fashion into the tennis game but unfortunately it always leaves me thinking Girl Why???!!!! I’m so mad you are telling Venus who designs her own dresses what she should be wearing. Hilarious!

12. I really don’t think it’s that bad. I enjoy the fact that Venus and Serena are willing to take fashion risks on the tennis court.

13. binks says:

I think they are kind of cute and unique for playing tennis. I mean tennis outfits are so boring and just typical. I don’t mind Venus outfits because if the other cute tennis girls would have wore this they would be on the cover of every man’s magazines and people would be calling them hot so do your thing Venus

14. Denise M says:

honestly i dont see what the big deal is. yall gotta remember thats a WHOOOOOLLLLLEEEE lotta woman them tiny tennis outfits gotta cover up so something was bound to show someday. plus it aint like its like janet at the superbowl or nothing.now as far as how they look they are not exactly the BEST lookn but hey ive seen worse…

15. ermm says:

I agree with JazzBelleTrelle, lmao at you telling Venus she should be wearing Stella’s line in place of her own. Other suckers will still buy her shit though.
    And #noshade, but @binks: I mean tennis outfits are so boring and just typical
    What sports are you watching where the fashion is off the hook? Fashion wise tennis is as good as it gets. But its besides the point. she’s been on a roll, lets nitpick about her fashion off the court.