September 7th, 2010
Beauty, Celebrity Style, Hair, Rihanna
Beauty Discussion: Is Blond for Everyone?

Recently, celebrities like Mya, Ameriie, and Keri Hilson have jumped on the blond bandwagon, joining an illustrious and long list of platinum haired starlets like Mary J Blige, Rihanna, Beyonce, Keyshia Cole, and even Christina Milian:

Blond is a bold way to lighten up your complexion and grab attention, and done correctly, it can look hot!

But some say women with darker complexions should steer away from wearing lighter hair.

Aside from blond dye possibly ruining your hair, there are no real risks associated with going for flaxen locks, so I say why not?

What say you?

How do you feel about blond bombshells of color?

PS If you’re wondering whether to use blond or blonde, here’s the 411: A Blonde is a female with blond hair. Blond can be used to describe a male with blond hair; blond is also the name of the actual color. Source.

33 Responses to “Beauty Discussion: Is Blond for Everyone?”

1. nessa says:

I think the blonde look looks good on many people… but it’s not my cup of tea :)

2. Krissy says:

I love blonde hair but no it doesn’t work for everyone. I have a couple ladies in my family with dull sandy brown hair that color their hair a different shade brown because they don’t care for it. I guess you have to do what works for you.

3. R.Scholar says:

I don’t care for the blonde on Ameriie (*sigh* at the extra ‘i’), Mya nor C. Milian. I just think each of them are prettier w/ the dark, bold hair.

Everyone else pictured looks great w/ blonde hair, IMO. Something about it suits them well.

4. Layla says:

There has to be something with undertones that explains why Mary can pull blond off, but Christina Milian can’t. Maybe’s it C Mili’s black roots?

5. @tyeshawho says:

i actually loved when christina milian went blonde . .

6. Michei says:

I would say its got to do with skin undertone

Ppl with yellow or golder undertone can pull of the blonde much better than those of us with more reddish undertone. Hope that makes sense!lol

7. Joanne_ says:

blonde is NOT a look every person can pull off…i think most people do it for shock value as opposed to going for what works for them…amerie looks ridiculous here! :? c.milli looks a mess and mya should have never done this. tyra was also pushing it… it’s all about what works for a person and for some of these women and many others this is not their boat to catch. good day everyone!

8. Norah says:

I think everybody looks great except for Amerie. She could work a Blonde, however not something so bright.
    As for Christina Milian, I think that blonde really suits her. If you block out the brown hair underneath and just imagine a blonde, blunt cut. I think it looks hot..!! =)

9. Blonde is NOT for everyone! Simple as that. How do you know if blonde is right for you?? Good question! All you have to do is try is out once! Yeah, just give it a whirl, when you see your girls with your new hair and all their eyes go straight up to the top of your head and their facial expressions start resembling someone who just ate a rotten apple then you should know….blonde ain’t for you boo boo. But give it a try at least just so you know and you don’t go around wondering whether you are missing out on some banging hair color for yourself.

10. FashionEdytorTn says:

I actually think that Amerie looks lovely with her new blond look…She sort of resembles Beyonce at first glance. In all honesty I think everyone pictured above looks nice with blonde. Plan on going blonde next month myself…wish me luck!

11. I think blonde can work for everyone, it just depends on the shade. Not everyone can/should be a bleach blonde (I’m talking to you Amerie).
    But I think if a woman chooses a shade that compliments her complexion, why not!

12. Risamac says:

Any one can do blonde you just have to pick the correct shade for your skin tone. When I first saw Amerie I was thinking it was a pic of Beyonce from back in the day so it doesnt look bad on her just a lot different.

13. Brandi says:

i think everyone looks fine in those pics. so i guess blonde IS for everyone. just depends on how blonde, I guess. mya’s is the cutest.

14. Miss Smith says:

Personally, I’m not a big fan of Black blondes. I just feel like the color takes away from our natural beauty. (Kanye shrug)

15. Lisa says:

Rihanna looks good with blonde.

16. sun.kissed says:

The only blondies above I have a problem with are C. Milli…so glad she got rid of that mess and Amerie, what’s gotten into her? Not cute! Blonde is definitely not for everyone and you MUST find the correct shade. Loving Mya’s hair, by the way.

17. the truth says:

Depends on the skin tone and the shade of blond. No to Tyra’s, Amerie’s, and Milian’s. And though she’s not featured, a big hell no to Serena’s.

18. ArayOfLight says:

I think blonde CAN work for everyone, its all about finding the right shade. Question- why are all the celebs posted light skinned? Blonde hair CAN also complement black women of a darker shade- just thought i should add.

19. QuinnySmalls says:

My 2 cents: Ameriie…or whatever her name is should have hired a stylist to help her find the right shade of blonde for her skin tone instead of adding another “i” to her name!! Home girl does not look right!

I know these ppl have stylists and if not…what about you’re friends???

20. DyShaun says:

Is the view so limited in America or what?

I have several family members who have blond hair (natural) and there is a whole island full of brown people with blond hair.

My fam has resorted to dying her hair darker to avoid unwarranted comments from “well-meaning” *side eye* sisters.

Again I say, that is the beauty of beauty.

21. Layla says:

@ARayofLight on what planet is Mary J considered light skinned?

22. [...] Note: One of my favorite sites, The Fashion Bomb, did a post on black women in hollywood with Black hair. Though brief, it was [...]

23. LoudPen says:

Mya and Rihanna are my fave blondes. I really dislike the look on Amerie. She looks so cheesy and like she’s trying too hard. I liked the old Amerie when she was singing and not doing all this weird tryna be pop or rock stuff.

24. binks says:

It isn’t so much of can black women rock blond hair it is the fact that most black women get the wrong shade of blond for their skin tones and undertones of their skin which washes them out and makes them look very unflattering. The only blond that looks good on black women in my opinion is the blond with a bit of shady brown undertones to it if you go beach blond, platinum blond, etc. etc. then it gets a bit crazy

25. sabu says:

blond is amazing…y didnt we figure this out sooner?but then again as cool as it is there are various shades of blonde that work for some people and dont work for others, personally, i think Amerie should have gone for a darker shade…but…props to anyone who has the guts to do it! :)

26. MP says:

I have to agree with those who said it’s about undertones (I think red pulls it off better than yellow) and lowlights & highlights. Christina Milian and Amerie look like they just dumped a bottle peroxide on their hair at home. That’s not a good look for ANYONE. Rihanna’s blond is brassy and one-tone; Mya has the same problem. Tyra’s wig color is too close to her skin color.

27. Story says:

AS AFRICAN AMERICANS, WHY WOULD WE WANT TO BE BLONDE. MOST WHITE PEOPLE DONT EVEN LOOK GOOD WITH BLONDE HAIR. SO WHY ARE WE TRYING TO COPY THEM. OUR BEAUTIFUL DARK BROWN HAIR IS OUR SIGNATURE STATEMENT COLOR AND THATS WHAT WE NEED TO EMBRACE AND STICK WITH. BLONDE ON ALL BLACK PEOPLE LOOK’S CRAZY. IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT OUR SKIN TONE IS, BLONDE LOOKS HORRIBLE ANYWAY. LETS STICK TO OUR COLOR SHADES AND EMBRACE THAT!

28. While I think it is fun to play with color and change up your look, the goal should always be to look your best. For some folks blonde is just not a good look.

29. Pretty Little Lyar says:

You forgot Cassie. You should have put her up there instead of Ameriie and Christina M. Ameriie looks like she is trying too hard, and C.M looks like a ghetto Latina.

30. Not everyone is looking good in this look

31. Cher says:

the topic is, ” is Blonde for everyone?” whats messed up is that all the pictures of people who went blonde are all black chicks..y.. there are white girls that went blonde and dont look good… ure topic should have been, ”does blond suit all black girls?”