August 26th, 2010
Baby Phat, Fashion News
Rumor Mill: Baby Phat Owner Kellwood Fired Kimora To Cut Costs

New details have bubbled to the surface regarding Kimora Lee Simmons‘ ‘divorce’ from Baby Phat. According to the New York Daily News, Kimora was too expensive for the brand to keep on staff:

A source told Page Six, “Kimora was going over-budget. She’d pay herself a fee to be in the ads, plus she paid her children fees to appear in ads. It costs thousands of dollars to airbrush her because she’s a size 10. Plus, they spent a ton of money on body doubles. They would shoot another model in the clothes, and take Kimora’s head and put it on her body.”

And I’m sure her over-the-top fashion shows weren’t helping the bottom line, either.
Can’t knock the hustle.
What do you think?
Source

Posted In
24 comments

24 Responses to “Rumor Mill: Baby Phat Owner Kellwood Fired Kimora To Cut Costs”

1. Kimmoy says:

I really don’t think anyone would’ve been upset if she had just modeled as a size 10. We can tell that ad was photoshopped. Either way, business is business – the brand will keep going even if she’s not on staff + she has multiple streams of income to keep her going…

2. StyleSaveur says:

First … uhmmm what’s wrong with being a size 10?

Second … spending habits aside, Kimora IS the brand. No one thinks of Baby Phat without thinking of Kimora and the brand is better for it. Without her influence, I’m not sure if the brand will remain atop the urban pop culture list. However, in a recession it would have been prudent to cut back her ‘Life in the Fab Lane’ sized budget.

3. Kim says:

I can understand being paid for your work..but if you cant model anymore all that extra is unnecessary..she should’ve been happy to stay behind the scenes…but I guess that would be compromising her Divalicious ways!

4. dumbfounded says:

it costs thousands just to airbrush a photo?

I think they are going to regret this!
    I mean most people buy the brand because it was linked to Kimora!
    And ‘Life in the Fab Lane’ was helping the brand in terms of publicity!
    So she’s a size 10? Pulease! They should get real! They kicked her out for some other reason they don’t want the public to know!

6. nerd says:

the clothes is horrible anyway, in my opinion it’s tacky.

7. Beyani says:

Kimora is Baby Phat :/ Hello!! Everything has it’s season, maybe Baby Phat has had theirs…it won’t be much without her, I double take when I see her in ads even though I don’t wear the brand….the brand will be in flea market bins everywhere soon, it’s a wrap!!

8. Tia-Bia says:

The Brand wasn’t doing well, so why was she spending so much. If anything this just proves Kimora has no idea how to run a business. She lucked out with Russell. I love her but it’s the truth.

I never understood why the company wasted money on those fashion week shows. The fashion glossies never cared, it didn’t secure any buyers or help the brand b/c most of it’s audience isn’t a ‘fashion week” crowd.

9. Mj says:

I think they let her go to send her a message… Ouch I hope her husbands CK campaigns are doing well otherwise that mansion they built in Beverly hills may be on the market pretty soon. The Rich Screammms while the wealthy whisper, Sorry guys but Kimora is not wealthy but she was leading a lifestyle that screamed otherwise.

10. Miss Moon says:

I think they are throwing Miss Kimora under the bus. Dereon sells comparable clothing for a fraction of the price, so a lot of shoppers in that particular demographic jumped ship. Instead of simply lowering their price, they opt to let go of the face of Baby Phat. Dumb move!

11. binks says:

Personally, I never liked Baby Phat and thought it hasn’t evolved since the original concept but I must say that Kimora Lee made Baby Phat what it is and the brand it is today. I think firing the figure head is a bad idea as well because people associate it with her but like someone said above I think BP season has come to an end like most of these brands

12. Tia-Bia says:

All of you talking about her being the “face” of the brand, what brand? It’s sold in low-end depaertment stores. The price points are cheap and people buy it for that reason. Nobody who puchases babyphat is buying it because of it’s quality or Kimora’s faux-glam marketing. Besides those women are wearing Dereon now.

Also that urban clothing market has dried up. The company is probably on its way to getting rid of BP anyway, I’m sure Kimora wasn’t the only one fired.

13. sun.kissed says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the truth. She does seems like she has the tendency to overspend, Daddy Russell is no longer around to pick up the tab. This probably does mark the end of Baby Phat. All urban brands have their season just like Fubu, Echo Red, Boss and tons of other brands that used to be hot and now are NOT. Look on the bright side…maybe she re-join as a judge for ANTM.

14. Brandi says:

everyone could tell that pic was photoshopped… why doesn’t she just model in a size 10 if she really wants to be the model?! a clue!

15. Audrey says:

I find it kind of odd that they site Kimora paying her daughters in advertisements as one of the reasons for firing…umm shouldn’t they pay every and any child that does work for them….ya know cause my child sure wouldn’t model for free.

And people don’t worry KImora is a very smart woman. I doubt that we’ve seen the last from her, her fab life, or that new mansion.

16. I don’t blame them for firing her, she can expect to be going over budget all the time and pocketing the money for herself and her kids. They made the right decision. Plus the clothes are tacky and sold in the lower end market.

17. Marieliky says:

i hate the fact that she still wants model..theyre alot of young beautiful girls out there who would love to model give them a shot…i dont find her attractive at all

18. slim1814a says:

The brand will suffer without kimora she made baby phat what it is today.

19. wahoo4uva says:

What IS baby phat today? I think the brand’s lost its relevance. It’s had a good run and now…it may be time to sunset it.

20. Daisy says:

I’ve been wondering for years how Kellwood (the company that owns Baby Phat) made money from this brand. Like Tia-Bia said, Kimora kept creating these big fashion show productions, and I couldn’t understand how the company recuperated the costs from the fashion shows.

Kellwood also owns the Fabulosity brand, so I wonder if she’s being fired from this brand as well.

21. ashley says:

They should just drop the whole thing. I gave all of my baby phat stuff away over a year ago, and i don’t know anyone who wears that stuff.

22. esme says:

the brand was tacky, and as other people have said, the urban market is drying up, so how was the company recouping the frivolous cost of the things she did, like the over the top fashion shows and having a salary but still paying herself and her children modeling fees, not to mention expensive photoshopping? (there is nothing wrong with being a size 10, but unfortunately it is close to the beginning of plus size modeling in the fashion industry). oh well, she’ll be fine. and she’ll still be tacky.

23. poni says:

Kimora is a legend, I think the intial error was selling phat fashions in the first place, but Baby Phat will be dead without Kimora. Big mistake

24. lisa says:

Well, all that said baby phat is tacky is your opinon whateva, I wear look good in it and gone keep wearing it, and the comment saying it just sell in low end department stores…ummm… Check ur sources.Kimora set 4 life she gone be alright