August 2nd, 2010
Kanye West, Men's style
Men’s Fashion Flash : Kanye West’s Rosewood Movement

Upscale Hype has the scoop on Kanye West’s newest sartorial venture, the Rosewood Movement:

With the tag, “Rosewood movement, suits all day,” it seems Kanye is showing deference to the town of Rosewood, a once bustling black city in Florida whose inhabitants were murdered and whose stores were burned down by a white mob upset that one of their young ladies was allegedly raped by a black man. One of the survivors of Rosewood recalled in this article, “A big blaze, just burning down, burning up the whole thing, just burning up my grandma’s house, churches and everything. They burned up everything we had, all our clothes and everything. Yeah, they burned it up.” In the 1990′s, filmmaker John Singleton made a movie about the incident called, “Rosewood.” The State legislature ultimately awarded the victims’ families $2.1 million.

Kanye’s new predilection for suits perhaps is a nod to the black business owners of the day. I can dig it.

What do you think?

Photo Credit: William Yan & Upscale Hype

Posted In
24 comments

24 Responses to “Men’s Fashion Flash : Kanye West’s Rosewood Movement”

1. Tomorrow says:

Interesting

2. mikele says:

I like. I love men in suits. :)

3. Brooklyn lady says:

I think that entire MTV debacle has really opened Ye’s eyes. Well at least I hope it did. No matter how much fame/money you acquire as a black man in America, piss them people off and the first thing out of their mouths will be “n*gger”.

I was so upset and angry w/ Kanye for his actions but I can’t help but love this man’s music. I personally feel he’s a lyrical genius and after listening to his latest work, I am just loving him all over again.

Keep your head up Ye.

4. asha says:

there are things that i really love about kanye and then there are things that i really hate. that being said, i appreciate 1) his move away from the unintentional denim sets to suits and 2) the awareness he’s bringing about rosewood. i hope people research rosewood and other african american towns with similarly tragic histories.

5. sun.kissed says:

Oh, Kanye…

6. Mz. Bronze says:

I like this idea. I remember reading about Rosewood and Black Wall street. Maybe the younger generation will stop whining about racial profiling and realize the great advantages they have now. I mean damn; blacks made their own living supporting each other and white people couldn’t stand it. Imagine that.

7. Mme CJ says:

@ Brooklyn Lady…I totally agree. I think after President Obama referred to him as a “jackass” Ye realized it was time to grow up and be more socially responsible.

8. asha says:

@ mz. bronze, you can still be racially profiled while you’re wearing a suit. ask just about any black man trying to catch a cab in nyc. but that’s not even the point. the point i would emphasize to the kids i work with when discussing kanye’s new fashion move is how much more appropriate he looks when he is conducting business. a suit may just get you the interview/meeting. sagging slim jeans won’t even get you into the building.

9. lol kanye does need to grow up that whole i have a big ego persona is stupid

10. Layla says:

Kanye for President!

11. KellieVanGlam says:

I think it’s a ploy to garner attention for his upcoming album.

12. Dari says:

If Kanye is doing this for public awareness, I’m all for it. If Kanye is doing it for his new album, I’m all for it.

I’m just all for seeing Kanye in a well-fitted, nice looking suit. It sends a better message either way.

13. Dee O. says:

People may say a lot of things about this man but one thing they can’t say is that he doesn’t have style…style oozes out of Kanye West’s pores as far as I’m concerned.

14. He may be an arse and an egomaniac, but Mr. West knows how to dress. Two thumbs up

15. Fashionbum82 says:

Kanye is Kanye what is there to say? lol The man can generate a buzz positive and negative but he always does it with style.

16. LoudPen says:

I love Ye. I don’t know why but I do. His style and the fact that he always speak his mind whether it’s appropriate or not. U gotta love him for his style and his boldness.

17. [...] West gave his ‘Rosewood Movement’ suit a rest, rocking a cool pair of $525 Balenciaga sneakers with jeans and a t-shirt for the [...]

18. artsylee says:

Kudos for Kanye on this one. I’m glad to see him put aside his arrogant ways for a good cause…

19. [...] so it’s civil rights based. perf Posted in fashion, music | Leave a Comment »Tags: kanye west, [...]

20. Larry Nguyen says:

Hmm….I give this about 2 months before Kanye’s ADD is on to the next thing.

21. [...] and Tretorn x Comme de Garcons sneakers: The Power singer kept to the crisp aesthetics of his Rosewood Movement, and opted for camel instead of black or white as an ode to the end of summer. You really [...]

22. The “men in black” look sticks! society recognizes him as a rapper or artist, but I believe we could learn so much more about him if you just pay attention to his style and the way he dress.

23. [...] tailored suits and a highly refined sense of style, the initiative ironically referred to the Rosewood Massacre of 1923, in which a white mob killed several black males and destroyed many homes belonging to [...]

24. Kenye add resolve all problem