June 30th, 2010
Fashion, Rihanna, You Should Know
You Should Know : Designer Alexandre Vauthier

Designer Alexandre Vauthier is giving new heights to shoulders thanks to inventive silhouettes and a ‘more is more’ attitude:

The Paris based couturier and former head designer for Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture has already found fans in Rihanna and Monica, who flock to his awe inspiring and conversation starting pieces. He unveiled his first collection in January 2009, and has since had two other couture shows:

His signature style plays with extremes, marrying bold shoulders with even bolder plunging necklines:

His summer 2010 Couture collection featured lots of primary colors like eye catching red, green, and blue.

He reminds me of a new age Balmain. I love it!

The young talent was up for a prestigious ANDAM award to establish his own couture house in Paris. Though he didn’t take home the final prize, I still think he has tremendous potential.

See more of his designs here. He’s one to watch.

What do you think?

Posted In
17 comments

17 Responses to “You Should Know : Designer Alexandre Vauthier”

1. sun.kissed says:

Creepy. I think these looks are only for the runway.

2. mikele says:

Monica looks like a bat. ahaha!! That was my first time seeing that pic. lol First though=Bat.

3. Brandy says:

The monica shoulders are scary, but the Rhianna jumpsuit is more realistic.

4. Joanne_ says:

I. Just. Can’t.

5. Layla says:

I don’t like the pieces Monica and Rihanna are rocking in those pictures, but this guy’s designs are really interesting and he has some amazing pieces. The grey dress Rihanna wore in her Russian Roulette video from his collection had me drooling! As well as the dress she wore when she was on the Jonathan Ross Show here in London, it was fabulous! His designs are just perfect for Rihanna.

6. beee says:

After that performance, Monica flapped her arms and flew away. Cute girl-wrong top.

7. . says:

Rihanna can wear clothes like this, that green jump-suite works on her.
    Monica on the other hand looks like a pure idiot. IMO Monica doesn’t wear most high-fashion designers right. She always looks like she is trying way too hard.

8. fashionclub says:

nice and very simple dress collection,that one made for all women according to fashion.fabulous work and fashion world information

9. Rachel says:

10. Nicole says:

I’m sorry i dont like Monica’s outfit… when i saw the top i instantly thought of the Gargoyle cartoon that i use to watch every morning at 6 when i was a wee little gal. Sorry!

11. Marieliky says:

i really like the strong shoulder look!!

12. MeLoVe says:

I enjoyed Rihanna’s piece more than Monica’s. While seeing her at the award show I was annoyed by the shoulders.

13. kingsmomma says:

did not like monica’s dumbo flaps at all. I don’t know if it was a design flaw or a wear flaw but it did not look right.
    I like Rihanna’s look.
    Certain things are not for everybody

14. Tifani says:

I think they both look stupid…. but that’s just me!!!

15. ChellzBiatch! says:

LOVE Vaultier although Monica did look like a bat but Rihanna who has worn many of his looks captures how to wear his garments and make it look good and not…weird loves it

16. esme says:

i like the last 3 looks shown on the runway, other then that, i dont think the designs are very practical or complimentary to women’s bodies.

17. [...] and went to my first two haute couture shows yesterday, Georges Chakra and Alexandre Vauthier (who we wrote about here). It’s invigorating and awe inspiring to see some of the world’s finest fashion [...]