May 17th, 2010
Diversity, Fashion Discussion, Louis Vuitton, Men's style
Fashion Discussion : Did Louis Vuitton Make This for Rappers?

Hey!

So I was cruising over at Upscale Hype when I stumbled across this picture of Gucci Mane betraying his namesake by rocking a $290 Louis Vuitton Scuba Visor in Rose Pink from their Spring/Summer 2009 collection. The visor, though originally modeled on a blond haired model, seems made for ‘rapper’ types:

Honestly, who but a rapper would wear a plastic monogrammed Louis Vuitton visor (in pink?)? And who did Louis Vuitton intend to buy this item? I’d project that it certainly wasn’t anyone remotely resembling the lithe model in the advertisement.

For all the talk of high end designers not catering to minority clientele and not featuring black models on runways and in advertisements, I think they know exactly who they’re making the monogrammed jackets, bum bags, and rose pink plastic visors for.  Just my thoughts.

What do you think?

*For the record, Louis Vuitton does support diversity, as witnessed by their Afro-wigged multicultural model roster for their Spring 2010 show.

Spotted @ Upscale Hype

16 Responses to “Fashion Discussion : Did Louis Vuitton Make This for Rappers?”

1. sun.kissed says:

Not sure if they’re targeting rappers, but it certainly doesn’t hurt…

2. Shaunese says:

Its hard to say if designers are targeting urban youth and rappers. One could say they just tend to flock to the monograms designs. But I’m sure the designers have a well staffed marketing and advertising dept that shows their monogrammed items introduce their label to more consumers who want to flaunt their very expensive purchases.

3. Deb Bee says:

Lol all I know is I want Amber’s pouch..

4. Yes certain items are marketed to label/logo hungry people which includes rappers. I can’t stand logos.

I also think that designers get “Inspiration” from urban culture which includes rappers and sells it to “other people.”

5. Nicole says:

I honestly think that most monogrammed items made by designers are made for People NOT just rappers who want to show off how much money they have, and a lot times that falls heavily in the rappers demographics. No one knows that you are wearing Gucci if its doesnt say it..RIGHT???? smh!

6. L says:

I agree with the non supporting of diversity and I found the models sporting the blonde wiggs a little odd. I believe that if these designers didnt have a demographic that actually wore such things daily they would stop production at once to spare the embarrassment of rappers wear their monogrammed gear in such tacky glory. I must say I see lots of potential in that visor than Gucci pairing it with that “lovely” pink polo.

7. TheJUNQUI says:

Wow! You are so right! Who else seared those tacky all over logo items? No one expect rappers and people who are insecure and want to show off their mulatto…reminds me of the movie “white girls”lol

8. jahin says:

Hay..don’t think too much..It is so obvious that they are targeting rappers and teenagers. BTW, I love it.

9. Louis Vutton shows versatility in their fashion legacy by choosing rappers to model their products

10. Heather says:

I don’t know who they are targeting either and honestly do not care, but I know Nicki Minaj would probably rock the hell out that bag and the visor.

11. Major Tees says:

I’m really feeling Gucci Mane’s outfit, especially since October just passed. Kanye and Amber are looking on point too. The look and swagg are there, no doubt!

12. [...] to, slowly but surely, manufacture items with the logo obsessed in mind (read our archived post: Did Louis Vuitton make this for Rappers?) Though Dan’s boutique shuttered in 1992, he’s plotting a return to the game. Sure, [...]

13. [...] to, slowly but surely, manufacture items with the logo obsessed in mind (read our archived post: Did Louis Vuitton make this for Rappers?) Though Dan’s boutique shuttered in 1992, he’s plotting a return to the game. Sure, [...]

14. Zeeps says:

Luxury brands have always targeted hip hop artists although they never really admit it…it’s a love-hate relationship. This blog shows the evolution of hip hop fashion and how these brands have increased brand awareness using rappers: http://hip-hop-fashion-evolution.blogspot.com