May 4th, 2010
Anna Wintour, Cassie, Celebrity Style, Fashion, Hot or Hmm, Jennifer Lopez, Nicole Richie
Hot! or Hmm…: The 2010 Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala

The stars came out in style for the annual Met Ball at New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, this year hosted by phenomenal women Anna Wintour and Oprah Winfrey. The event was to celebrate the new exhibit at the museum called “American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity,” so a bevy of America’s beauties slipped on their best gowns for the fashion laced fete.

Let’s take a look at some of the high (and low) lights:
Joy Bryant looked swanlike in a frothy nude silk tulle draped Marchesa gown with a long train, accessorized with diamond drop earrings and an understated black clutch. The belle of the ball pulled her hair into a dramatic bun, showcasing her flawless makeup and glowing skin.
Naomi Campbell made an appearance with boyfriend Vladimir Doronin in a floor length black Dolce & Gabbana gown. She vamped up her look with red lipstick and showed off her softer side with a loosely curled, banged hairstyle.

Rosario Dawson wore a stunning Giambattista Valli gown. Sauntering her way down the red carpet in this lilac number, she kept the jewels to a minimum and let the dress speak for itself.

Nicole Richie also glided down the red carpet in this silver Marc Jacobs gown. Not straying far from her Bohemian silhouettes, she still managed to look gorgeous.
Mary J. Blige went for frothy in a ruffled pale peach gown with a ruched bodice and ruffled details on the front. Her hair could have been a little more dramatic, but she played it cool with a sleek straight style for her platinum hair.

Singer MIA is known for her eccentric style, and showcased it on the red carpet for last night’s festivities. She eschewed all the predictable tulle and chiffon for a netted Alexander Wang for Gap look over a black floor length dress. The gold color of the net captured a bit of the glamour for the night while also showing off MIA’s quirky personality.

Kerry Washington looked saucy in a red Thakoon for Gap draped gown equipped with a slit up to there and a ruched bodice. She accented her look with peep toe Christian Louboutin Titi gold python heels and a sexy pout.

Jessica Alba looked like a Grecian goddess in a one shoulder liquid satin Sophie Theallet for Gap frock in pink champagne. She channeled a bit of old Hollywood in a pinned hairstyle and shimmered in diamond jewels.

Gossip Girl starlet Jessica Szohr clearly wasn’t inspired by her character on the show, as she went glam in Atelier Versace. I wasn’t too moved initially because of the neckline of the gown, but the color and the embroidery on the bodice got me on board.

Actress, singer, and timeless stylista Jennifer Lopez literally glowed in a Zuhair Murad Couture gown accented with a silver leaf print and embellished bustier. She brought the drama with a Judith Lieber minaudiere and a slightly tousled ponytail.

Model Iman looked regal in a flowing black Prada dress with keyhole details and capped sleeves. She brought the somber black look to life with diamond accents and deep wine colored lipstick.

Another Gossip Girl fashionista also hit up last night’s festivities. Blake Lively vamped it up in a short Marchesa frock with ruffled detailing. The dress is dramatic, despite the length (or lack thereof). She completed her look with Christian Louboutin Lil Marlene pumps.

Chloe Sevigny also opted to go short in this Proenza Schouler number. The full skirted teal lace dress made her eyes pop. She tied the look together with Proenza Schouler shoes.
Eva Mendes hopped on this season’s floral trend with a Dolce & Gabbana bustier gown imprinted with large roses. The gown’s gathered bodice offered a romantic touch , and her nude makeup allowed the dress to shine.

Avatar star Zoe Saldana went for chic simplicity in a one shoulder glittering Calvin Klein gown. She upped the chic factor with a slick bun, large cuff, and gold box clutch.
Event host and media mogul Oprah made an appearance with great American designer Oscar de la Renta, wearing one of his exceedingly elegant designs. She opted for navy blue instead of predictable black, and wore her hair in a crown of curly tendrils. Diamond jewelry and a compact navy blue clutch completed her outfit.

Andre Leon Talley and Whoopi Goldberg also attended last night’s gala in some rather…interesting ensemble choices. ALT opted to mix both chic and casual with his black and white cape, NAACP tee, and jeweled loafers. Whoopi wore what appears to be a white oversized men’s shirt with a long white satin skirt. Hmm…can’t say these two were my favorites for the night, but their personalities clearly played a pivotal role in their outfit choices.

Cassie wore a blue Versace gown with cut out details and a high slit. I knew her blond tresses would take a minute to grow on me, and here, I absolutely love it. She completed her look with smokey eyes, pink lips and Sergio Rossi sandals.

There you have it. A complete rundown of those who rocked it at the granddaddy of all fashion fueled events, and those who probably should’ve sat this one out.

What did you guys think?

~Vuitton
See more pictures here :

21 Responses to “Hot! or Hmm…: The 2010 Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala”

1. Leigh says:

Naomi, J.Lo, Nicole, Zoe= HAWT

Everyone else looks NICE though!

2. 05girl says:

wait, how did cassie get an invite?!

3. ibiscaraib says:

Everyone looked lovely. But Cassie seemed underdress. Maybe it was her shoes… She looked kind of cheap compared to everyone else.

4. Kim says:

Loooove Cassie’s look minus the eye makeup =o/

5. Joanne says:

I love Mary’s dress, the hair not so much. Kerry Washington is always stunning! And those pink lips!! Love it! lol. Cassie jus looks over the top bronzed and I don’t like it, if she played down that contouring on her face then maybe, just maybe I would have liked the face. Eva Mendes looks so pretty in that floral dress. ALT and Whoopi, you know what, I gotta love em! :)

6. bkln.girl says:

Am I the only one who thinks Rosario’s dress looks AWFUL!? Ugh dreadful

7. ibiscaraib says:

@bkln.girl ditto. Its plain ugly!

8. empress says:

My fvaourite look of the night had to be between Zoe, Jennifer Lopez, Cassie and Naomi Campbell…there were others that really touched my heart like Nicole Richie and Renee Zellweggar. SO many so hard to choose!

9. Tash says:

The winners are…. Kerry Washington, Zoe Saldana, and Oprah!!
    Losers… Rosario—> What was she thinking???
    Cassie= Epic Fail!! Her dress looks like Tina Knowles made it and whats up with the makeup??? Not a good look.

10. Dobe says:

The majority of these ladies looked FAB! Gooo, MARY! :)

11. me says:

The winners are Iman,M.I.A, Naomi, Oprah and Cassie
    The dress from Rosario Dawson is super ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Christina says:

Jennifer Lopez and Kerry Washington look great! Cassie and Zoe Saldana’s makeup looks awesome–don’t like their looks this time around, though.

13. Anton says:

Whoopi wore Ralph Rucci and it’s not a men’s shirt. It is designed in the style of a shirt and had a long train attached. I thought it was fitting for her and the fabric was stunning.

14. Brandi says:

i absolutely love chloe’s dress for some reason. also loving nicole’s. And I agree Rosario’s dress looks CRAZY, plus, it doesn’t flatter her body at all.

where was Danielle at this event because Cassie needed her on that make up tip!

15. LivvyV says:

I have to agree I love love love Chloe’s dress and her, Nicole always fun, Jessica rocked that Versace out. Kerry always is on point and both Zoes look great. Joy Bryant could have done so much better she should have played with her hair and J.Lo beautiful dress but seen it a million times on her. I’m really not trying to be mean but why is Cassie there?

16. LoudPen says:

Blake Lively hands down! She took a major risk wearing a short dress but she killed it! Her hair, her shoes, everything is fabulous!

17. mikele says:

I think pretty much everyone looks fantastic. I lost focus when I started laughing at the chick looking all too happy to be stepping on someone’s train behind Kerry Washington.. LOL!!

18. trina says:

no listen everyone i can tell you who all look nice Oprah Lopez Mary J. but her hair could have beeen did better . Naomi and her boyfriend omg those too look great together those too was the best dress to me . those other dress looking like a hot mess am sorry lol . i wish i was there i would have took the show lmao . things like that makes me dress to kill ! thanks for sharing

19. Dari says:

I love what Naomi did with the theme (if she followed it).

She looks like an updated Western saloon girl! It’s great.
    So many done rights, Kerry, Nicole, etc.

Rosario’s dress does something to her boobs that I’m not sure I can appreciate though. It’s a weird fit and gives her bad proportions. Other than that, she would have been a hit for me too.

20. Love Nicole’s dress!

21. Porsche says:

Noami looks really nice: J.Lo, Zoe, Oprah very chic. everyone else looked okay… But if Rosario was leaving her dress speak for itself by keeping the rest of her look to a minimum I am sure it was screaming “Don`t wear me I am HIDEOUS!“ before she left the house!