April 23rd, 2010
Fashion Discussion, Style Verdict
Style Verdict : Modern Menswear Inspired Styles

Celebrities Janelle Monae and Jasmine Burke have developed signature styles that offer a hint of feminine flair to masculine silhouettes:

Yves Saint Laurent pioneered the menswear inspired look in the 1960′s with the Le Smoking tuxedo, and it seems modern mavens have taken this classic style to the limit by wearing bow-ties, newsboy caps, and even cravats.

I love incorporating a boyfriend blazer into my daily routine, and there’s nothing more chic than a tailored jacket, skinny jean, and heels. Not too sure how I feel, however, about the full on three piece suit.
What do you think?

Posted In
10 comments

10 Responses to “Style Verdict : Modern Menswear Inspired Styles”

1. Lisa Gordon says:

It’s a yes. I personally don’t wear neckties or bow ties BUT I have an ascot that I’m in love with because of the feminine print. When sprinkled in sparingly, I think menswear touches do well. A blazer here, suspenders there, perhaps some oxfords. Love it love it love it!

2. Lisa Gordon says:

Oh and if the silhouette is still feminine…. I almost think we can do no wrong. lol :)

3. fcb247 says:

I like it!! It’s really sexy. I want to get these shoes from Steve Madden: http://www.stevemadden.com/item.aspx?id=48957&path=|womens%20shoes|womens%20oxfords|

…but I dont know what to wear them with? Thoughts??

4. Menswear is so sexy, when done right. I luv oxfords and tuxedos.

5. Daisy says:

Menswear is sexy when it’s mixed in with feminine touches. For example, I hate Janelle’s Monae’s tuxedos because she wears it with those saddle shoes. However when I saw Jasmine Burke with her three piece suit and open-toed shoes, I thought she looked so hot!

6. Skye says:

I love the idea but I must say that as much as I heart Janelle her tuxedo’s are a bit too stiff for my liking. I prefer Jasmine’s more relaxed styling. :)

7. Rick says:

8. Adam says:

Menswear is so sexy, when done right. I luv oxfords and tuxedos.

9. Julie says:

…but I dont know what to wear them with? Thoughts??

10. [...] in rock’n'roll performances. It’s a place where roles are transposed, accentuated, blurred and collapsed. However, this exploration is an expression and critique of existing cultural roles for men and [...]