March 30th, 2010
Fashion, Fashion Discussion, Shoes
Fashion Discussion: Cheap Shoes?

Necole Bitchie recently reported that rapper Maino expressed disdain for model Rosa Acosta, saying he would never date her because she wears cheap shoes.

He said, “Someone asked me would I ever try to talk to her and I said, “No disrespect but [that ain't] my type. Look at your shoes. Look at your bag. … Imagine I pull up somewhere and you got Jay-Z, you got Diddy and n*ggas about their business. I pull up in my Bentley and jump out, and this b*tch got on her cheap shoes. I don’t want you, if I can’t sport you.” Rosa responded, “ There is a difference between simple and cheap. I will not wear something that is fake so I will wear whatever I can afford. If I can just afford Forever 21 shoes, then that’s what I am going to buy…I am still the same girl that came from the Dominican Republic. My family has never been rich. I’m still not rich. Why would I go and buy a $2000 pair of shoes that I can’t afford when I can actually help my family that’s still living in DR, or I can save my money or I could spend money on my education. What is wrong with buying something that’s inexpensive?”

Kudos to Costa. Tons of women live above their means for the sake of fashion, and run behind on their rent and other bills to have the latest it item. I totally respect Rosa’s honesty. Don’t try to floss before you can truly afford it. Jay-Z and Diddy, Beyonce and Rihanna, have all worked countless hours at high premiums to afford their astronomical shoe budget. Until you have tons of disposable income to spend on clothes, your money is better flourishing in an investment account, not diminishing in your closet.

What do you think?

Read more here.

Posted In
47 comments

47 Responses to “Fashion Discussion: Cheap Shoes?”

1. beeee says:

Not to take away from the fact that Rosa be on some ho s*it- but she has a point. My thing is; what the hell makes Maino think that he will be rubbing shoulders with the likes of Diddy, Jay-z and their women???? (check Maino’s statement). Poor thing, he’s truly in denial.

2. Alissa says:

I love Rosa’s response, because she kept it real. So many minorities spend hundreds of dollars on designer labels and still living in the projects (no disrespect intended). We need to truly educate ourselves on finances and respect those who can’t afford the luxurious things in life. However it is his opinion on what he likes his woman to wear. Jay-Z and Diddy did not grow up rich and didn’t dress the way they do now. I’m curious to know how he grew up and what makes him think it’s okay to diss a woman who is wearing “cheap shoes” Let’s remember one of the richest women in the world (Oprah) grew up poor and look at her now.

3. Alissa says:

Might I add that over the past 20 years, Oprah walked her cheap shoes straight to the bank to deposit billions.

4. Jac says:

What an ignorant, moronic statement to say that you can’t be seen with someone who wears cheap shoes! I’d rather wear less expensive shoes & be able to go out & party, than have an expensive pair of Louboutins that can’t go no-where because my ass is broke! Then again, if cheap shoes mean idiots like Maino won’t be knocking on my door… I’ll stick to my Payless specials!

5. Famine says:

OK. I do see Rosa’s point. Don’t live beyond your means. BUT cheap shoes suck. You will ruin your feet in $20 heels. I’m all about investing in shoes rather than buying a bunch of cheapies, cuz a pair of scuffed up payless joints will ruin your whole outfit.

6. who cares says:

Who the hell is Maino? and why does he think he want us to believe his broke ass is riding in a Bentley meeting up with jayz and diddy…negro, puhlease…Rosa’s statement was intelligent but she should have just left it at…I wouldn’t date that Roach if I had Manlos for everyday of the week…

7. sun.kissed says:

Exactly! Who is Maino? Besides that, Rosa is right on target, no one should be spending beyond their means–cheap shoes or not.

P.S. I’ve never heard of her either.

8. asha says:

applaud that woman (on this point anyway). i agree with most of the comments here but i would just add that if maino believes that he is in the company of those high level ballers than he should be making sure that his armcandy is dressed to par. i’m not a fan of spending someone’s rent on shoes but if he has it than why doesn’t he buy her shoes? last time i heard, video chicks were not making bank. and who pays attention to what video chicks wear anyway? excuse my language but that’s a a real bitch move on maino’s part.

9. Brandi says:

who is this douche we’re talking about again?

who cares if her shoes are cheaper? sounds to me like she’s just fiscally smart!

10. m says:

“I don’t want you, if I can’t sport you.”

This is crap. A woman is not an accessory, she is a person.

11. Dobe says:

LMAO @ the comments re Maino rubbing shoulders with Jay and Puff!!! HILARIOUS! He sounds like a fool. Great response, Rosa!

12. beeee says:

Bah. She should worry about the hoe s*it she’s on instead of finally having something to take away from that! She said she use her hoe money to feed her family and saves- not on loubees. We all know she will never be Beyonce. Google this chick! Yuck, she’s repugnant.

13. Maino, who cares what he has to say?
    I’m so glad Rosa made it clear she lives within her means. Like you said, so many folks try so hard to keep up appearances with Loubs, LV, Chanel, etc and they’re really living in their mama’s basement or their wardrobe is worth more than what’s in their bank account.
    And cheap/affordable shoes can still be FLY!

14. Rockie Road says:

What heterosexual male would really give a flying fig about what kind of shoes a woman as fine and sexy as Rosa Acosta wears??! Maino is not only lame but now, he’s also suspect… o_O

Though I do not respect how Rosa has sorta put herself out there to be objectified, I’m proud of her for her response. Kudos to her!

I have to agree w/ Famine about the cheap shoes, especially after a certain age. I’m not saying women have to go cop a pair of Manolos but definitely invest in quality heels & kicks, at least for the majority of your shoes. A cute, cheap, comfy pair is fine every blue moon.

Maino’s wack like mayo!

15. Vanessa says:

props to Rosa! How superficial does HE sound, gees

16. Crystal .. says:

She’s right, when does a pair a shoes determine the worth of a person.
    He’s an ass, I guess he would rather date a whore bag that only wants him for his money. I wear what I can afford as well , I’m not gonna buy a pair of 800 shoes knowing I have books to buy. People that measure a person worth by what they have on, has no inner peace at all. rosa props to you. Women like you are going instinct. Where are all the real dudes at?????

17. AG says:

Famine-
    100% agree!
    I despise cheap shoes, and can spot some miles away, but I do live in my means! My shoe game is sick, only becaus I save my money so I can buy quality shoes. IMO, shoes is what make the outfit. Imagine a dude looking good from head to ankle, Gucci-ed out, then you look at his feet and he got on some dirty, old Air Force Ones. #FAIL
    Or a woman can look fly, hair and nails done, outfit on point, then you get to her shoes and their that shiny patent leather with the heel falling to the way side from Payless (no disrespect). So I do invest in quality, but sales are my best friend!

18. BrooklynsOwn says:

First off, what the hell is a Maino? Secondly, Jermaine Coleman aka “Maino” is 37, and still hasn’t put out not one album yet (mix tapes are not albums). And thirdly, who cares about worldly possessions that devalue the minute you put them on? Yes, we all like to look fly, but if you don’t own a home or have a financial portfolio that shows you’re taking care of business, then your “shoes” have no value at all. I’d rather walk my cheap shoes into my fly ass house that I own, than walk some expensive shoes into my mother’s house any day. This is the problem with Black people. We put too much emphasis on shit that doesn’t matter and not efforts into the things that do.

19. Ambrose says:

Amen @ BrooklynsOwn!!!

20. AD says:

Regardless of Rosa’s current role as a video girl, I totally respect her perspective on this. There was an article that appeared in the Toronto Star that about 20% of the Canadian population spends the bulk of their expenses on their mortgage, just to keep up with the Joneses. In the process, people are forgoing proper nutrition and healthcare expenses, just to afford that house.The same is true in the US, whether it’s spending crazy amounts on clothing, your car, or your home. Why do you think the world is going through an economic downturn? People are living beyond their means, and that is not hot. Maino, if you were really a baller (which you’re not), you’d buy your girl a $2,000 pair of shoes. And if you had any real personality, you’d be able to see beyond such fickle things, as the shoes on a woman’s feet. You really need to Keep It Movin!

21. Sibbonai says:

He is such an obvious idoit. To even put himself in the same category with Jay and Diddy. Futhermore beyonce and people of her stature are given those designer clothes for the most part to advertise for the designers because they are seen everywhere they are billboards for designers. Sometimes even superstars are seen in steve madden , aldo and other shoes that are affordable for regular people that Maino seems to not affiliate with lol. He is a moran and clearly doesnt know what he is talking about. I would like to know what he considers cheap? Not that it would matter to me I just want to see how far his stupidity goes. I suggest that he get his money up and his name bc I barely know who he is , and worry about that other than demeaning women about fashion which he clearly knows NOTHING ABOUT.

22. Sibbonai says:

He is such an obvious idoit. To even put himself in the same category with Jay and Diddy. Futhermore beyonce and people of her stature are given those designer clothes for the most part to advertise for the designers because they are seen everywhere they are billboards for designers. Sometimes even superstars are seen in steve madden , aldo and other shoes that are affordable for regular people that Maino seems to not affiliate with lol. He is a moron and clearly doesnt know what he is talking about. I would like to know what he considers cheap? Not that it would matter to me I just want to see how far his stupidity goes. I suggest that he get his money up and his name bc I barely know who he is , and worry about that other than demeaning women about fashion which he clearly knows NOTHING ABOUT.

23. kingsmomma says:

“US will always sing the blues ‘Cause all we care about is hairstyles and tennis shoes”

poor Maino actually thinking he can hob nob with diddy and jay-Z? He’s more like Lil Mama on the VMA’s.

24. fashionbaby says:

He is an asshole thats why he will blow thru the little bit money he has in no time!
    if he was a stand up dude… he shoudl pull a Richard Gere in Pretty Woman and trick… “tricking aint tricking if you git it…” right???lololol but on aserious note1 it is nothing wrong with living within your means and purchsing fashion on your budget… half the time some of the “cheap” stuff styled looks better than the higher end labels… im just syaing….

25. beautifuldaidreamer says:

Wow. I don’t know this dude beyond “Hi Hater” (I think that’s the same guy) but I can be pretty sure that he’s not making Diddy or Jay money, hell he’s probably not even making Waka Flocka money. So his opinion on some video chick’s shoe game is moot. Because if he’s really worried about her shoe game, his ass needs to be the one to upgrade her but again, I’m sure he lacks the funds to even do that.

But I appreciate lame dudes like him. Let’s you know to stay far from his ignorant behind….

26. Donnica says:

Yes she was totally keeping it real. Please don’t forget your responsibilities like rent for a pair of shoes! That is NOT cute!!!

27. jboggie says:

Who is Maino? And I agree pass the payless to keep stupid fools like him away from me. Some people are just dumb. we know you dont have a Bentley unless your sleeping in it. And this is a guy that gets paid for the words he says. Shameful. Actually I’m glad I don’t know who he is.

28. Michelle says:

Everytime someone mentions cheap people automatically say payless. Ummmmm payless has shoes for $80 and they have high end designers who design for them now also. Oprah and Star Jones both wear shoes from payless soooooo stop saying payless! You can get a GREAT pair of $20 shoes….you just have to know the right place to look they do have things called SALES and thrift stores and vintage shops you might want to look into them. Cleary I got a pair of BCBGs for under $40 helllooooo sales. Some of you women sound superficial. Like Rosa said do not live beyond your means. ALL material possessions wear out. So if you paid $800 or $30 the heal can break, you can get a scuff, etc. so please as long as you are comfortable and you look good it shouldn’t matter. Material possessions do not last forever.

29. @Michelle I couldnt agree with your comments more. Further, I wish we as women would stop calling each other “hoes” what exactly makes this girl a hoe again? Cause she dates celebs? Please, some of you women need to stop because you dont know where this chick will be in the next 10 yrs, she might even be your future boss so stop hating.

Further I wish some of these so called “fashion snobs” were actually educated about the artistic side of fashion. Fashion is about style, art and culture not a damn price tag. Do you know about Bearden? Dali, Pollack or Basquiat? Do you know about design? No?! So sit the hell down, just cause you know a few label names to drop does not make you the guru of fashion so just stfu ;-P

30. Stylishous says:

Okay first & foremost who is Maino to dare say any of this bullcrap. You are not regarded as a good rapper & Jay Z & Beyonce won’t be asking you to sit in their VIP section any time soon so no need to worry about that. And in your dreams would someone hot like Rihanna ever want you. And what is a “cheap” shoe? Now poor quality, poor made shoes are different from cheap. That is why I don’t even like to use the word “cheap.” When I am able to get a good deal on something I say it was “inexpensive.” Cheap can sound so low. And for me while I won’t buy poor quality, poorly made shoes, I also don’t buy $2000 pumps. I make decent money, but I am not rich where I can afford to have a clsoet full of high end shoes. I will invest in a classic pair & my other shoes will be good quality brand shoes. Sorry if my Nine West or Michael Kors from a Lord & Taylor sale pumps don’t work for you Maino. But please don’t worry…none of us ladies are knocking down your door for a date. And if you were a decent man you wouldn’t be worried about footwear, but if maybe a woman was wearing “cheap” shoes b/c she was putting herself through school or building a career for herself & as of now she isn’t at high end status but was intelligent and still stylish & cool. Then maybe you could take the baller money that you know you don’t even have & get her a pair of shoes since it is so important to you. It is sad that he doesn’t have a problem with the fact that Rosa shows her body for a living but it’s her cheap shoes. How sad. SMH times 1,000.

31. Lex says:

I know alot of cheap shoe chicks. I don’t spend as much money on shoes as I used to, but I dont believe in living outside of means to buy Louboutins.

32. Natalie says:

Everyone has a choice. Even if you have millions that doesn’t mean you have to spend out of this world. In fact, some of the richest people dress casual or even bummy but invest in property, stocks and bonds. They don’t care about stupid things like having 50 cars or 10 mink coats. I don’t think anyone has a right to judge. Maino doesn’t like cheap shoes. He likes dumb, air-heads. I like designer clothing but I WILL NOT go broke to look stylish or cute. I am a college student so hopefully one day I will be blessed with high disposable income. I have no respect for Maino! Oh and P.S. Mr.Maino he are not on the same money game has Jay or Diddy! hahaha

33. p says:

i think she makes sense but sounds stupid @ the same time. She portrays an image that she should have a good shoe on. She’s in the wrong biz. she should of been a teacher or something else not a video girl. she should present herself with a little more quality. I seen her last night she did have cheapshoes and a whole forever 21 outfit on. lol. She also looks very old in person. I dont think she realizes she gonna end up spending more money rocking cheap the quality has a short life spam. if she smart she should shop timeless and best quality. she also need to get better pr maybe she’ll get free shit and discounts.

34. p says:

i think she makes sense but sounds stupid @ the same time. She portrays an image that she should have a good shoe on. She’s in the wrong biz. she should of been a teacher or something else not a video girl. she should present herself with a little more quality. I seen her last night she did have cheapshoes and a whole forever 21 outfit on. lol. She also looks very old in person. I dont think she realizes she gonna end up spending more money rocking cheap the cheap shit has a short life spam. if she smart she should shop timeless and best quality. she also need to get better pr maybe she’ll get free shit and discounts.

35. britany says:

maino’s comment was lame. Costa’s response was intelligent and mature. And it is his loss because she is Beautiful…but from his response, she is better off without him. Step ur game up Maino cause that was Wiggidy- whack

36. Fabohair says:

“Sport you?!”
    Is that how guys think nowadays? Instead of putting a girl down for being cost conscious, why not recognize that she’s probably good with her money and see her as someone who may not be a gold digger. Better yet, why not buy her some nice shoes if you’re so adamant on appearances.

37. fashion pie says:

rosa kept her statement classy which is great cuz she could have easily went in on his in-and-out-of-jail-one-hit-wonder azz
    ps-if im going to the club n i need some “quickie” shoes, u betta believe my 1st stop is forever21! lol

38. TCbeenITsince87 says:

WOW… I dont know this woman from a can of spray pain but she just became my new favorite celebrity (?)….”when i can spend money on my educations”!!! PREACH

39. sharmila says:

Yes, I accept you, most of the companies Import Fashion minded Shoes..,, I totally accept you.

40. John says:

matter of choice

41. Sammy says:

Um who cares what a pointless rapper like Maino thinks anyway. I fully agree with Rosa. Um doesnt Maino still live in a regular ass apartment?!?

42. christina says:

I wanted to share an AMAZING website that I found for all the SHOE LOVERS out there just like me!!! The name of the company is Aceoftrade (website aceoftrade.com). From what I can see so far they have an AMAZING selection of shoes!! It’s like shoe heaven!!! They have styles for men, women, children pretty much anyone!! Ok so a little bit about the company it says on the website that the MORE YOU BUY THE MORE YOU SAVE!!!! It’s like music to my ears!! Anyways I am going to keep looking at the website and BUYING MORE SO I CAN SAVE MORE!!

43. booties for women…

[...]Fashion Discussion: Cheap Shoes? « The Fashion Bomb Blog /// All Urban Fashion… All the Time – All Urban Fashion // All the Time[...]…

44. chappalwala says:

i think she best and nice shoes

45. Cheap Shoes says:

Wow…crazy about the way that “Maino” would think. But her response was well and what can you say, you can’t afford it – you can’t afford it. I rather be real with that than sport “fake brand shoes”. I rather wear something looking different in whatever budget I can afford. It’s not about price anyway, ijs.

46. Shoes Cheap? says:

Wow! Hey if you can’t afford it you can’t kill yourself too!. More props for not following and doing what you know you can financially do.

47. ShoppeChic says:

Great new and used designer and off designer shoes and heels