March 30th, 2010
Beauty, Fashion
Celebrity Hair Talk: June Ambrose
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

It was my New Year’s Resolution to have hair long all the way down to my ankles so I’ve been stalking admiring the hair dos of some of my favorite people. As one of June Ambrose’s nearly 60,000 followers on Twitter, I marvel over the behind-the-scenes looks of her work as a celebrity stylist, her down-to-earth nature, her insider Style Social lingo (chai tea anyone?), and of course her daily Fashion Dossier. One thing I’ve noticed along the way is how her hair always maintains its gorgeous, bouncy curls even days after her Weekly Renovations. So I asked the Architect of Style to dish on her hair secrets so we can all steal her lustrous locks.

June has a standing appointment every week at the Paul Labrecque Salon in New York City. She even takes her Twitter followers along for the ride.

Paul Labreque has three salon locations in New York City. Its East Side salon has been voted one of “New York’s Best” salon and day spas by New York Magazine, Details, InStyle, Allure, and Vogue.

I also wanted to know how June keeps her 100% relaxer free hair looking like she always just stepped out of the salon. Because her hair seriously looks like she just stepped out of the salon all the time.

She dished that she wears her hair in knots at night and sleeps on a silk pillowcase since scarves drive her nuts (me, too since they can slip off while you sleep). Her knots are pin curls formed with your fingers in the way you would with actual rollers and are then secured with bobby pins. The smaller the pin curl the tighter your curls will be when you take them out in the morning. Doing your hair like this is super-healthy since it requires no heat. Plus it’s uber easy to style since all you need to do is take the knots out and finger comb the hair. Perfect way to save time for busy rock moms like June who is a mother of two beautiful kids.

June also said she never puts any product in her hair since it weighs it down, but when rain and humidity tries to spiral her ‘do, she relies on Mizani HRM Humidity Resistant Mist. HRM helps protect against the formation of split ends and frizziness, surface damage caused by chemical treatments, and provides firm, weightless hold with protective UV filter for hair.

When you want to have a stylish haute hair day when the weather is being nothing but a haute wrecker, do like June and pop on a chic turban and a pair of retro shades. Your hair will be protected from the elements and you will look divine.

Get June’s look with these:

And check out her crazy antics (and her hair in motion) in this hilarious You Tube video:

For more on June Ambrose, follow her on Twitter and keep her soon-to-be-relaunched site JuneAmbrose.tv bookmarked as I’m sure it will be filled with haute pepper approved fashion and fun.
~Danielle

Posted In
22 comments

22 Responses to “Celebrity Hair Talk: June Ambrose”

1. Chimma says:

I absolutely <3 her

2. Amanda says:

Not enough information about how she maintains her hair…..and what products she DOES put in…

3. sun.kissed says:

Amanda clearly didn’t read the post…it says she pin curls it and uses a satin pillow case, and she only uses one product, which is mentioned above.

4. Ibiscaraib says:

I agree with amanda. I would like to know what shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner and heat protectant she uses. Keeping her hair healthy while using heat weekly isn’t done solely through the Use of the mizani humidity product alone.

On another note, I love her! When I grow up I wanna be like June!

5. Velvet says:

I understand the pin curling method, but I don’t think that would account for all that shine she has. For instance, I need to know what happens after she washes it. Does she just tie it up and it looks like that? Doubt it.

Gorgeous hair regardless tho. :)

6. Amanda says:

@ sun.kissed I did read the post, but it does not provide much information on what she actually DOES to her hair. How she treats it, what she uses in it,etc.Ibiscaraib & Velvet elaborated on what I meant.

I love her hair as well and would like to know what she actually does to care for it.

7. Brandi says:

great post!

8. KWest says:

This is a great post! Loves this site!!!

9. Keisha says:

It sounds like she gets her hair presed or flat ironed periodically (i.e., weekly, bimonthly or monthly). As a person with natural hair, yes you cannot get hair like that without some kind of heat.

I also think that she depends on her stylist to deal with the details such as washing, conditioning, etc. So she may not have all of the products that you girls want to know about. It is possible to hair long, healthy, natural hair as long as you are not putting heat on it everyday.

10. Keisha says:

*have long, healthy natural hair, not hair…Sorry

11. Breann says:

It all depends on the products that your beautician uses on your hair and if your beautician know your body chemistry.My hair is waist length my mother is June Ambrose length I get my hair done every two weeks my mom goes every week. I have never had a relaxer in my hair. Our beautician flat iron our hair she said it doesn’t need a lot of heat. The only time she presses and flat iron is in the Summer she said so the hair cuticle stays locked it & you don’t sweat it out as fast because it’s so hot. All the other tips about wrapping and pin curling, I do the same. I wrap my hair with a silk scarf every night when it’s straight if I have curls I pin curl & I use a silk bonnet. I always get compliments on how pretty my hair is all thanks to my beautician.

I agree a little more info would have been helpful. She says she uses no products. So is it just naturally shiny? Is it b/c of the shampoo or conditioner? Also if she doesn’t have a relaxer then how does she get the straightened look? Does she press it…blow it out? Those answers would have been nice to know as a reader. Nevertheless fab hair. It is always nice to see a healthy head of real hair on a black woman.

13. hypnotic says:

i don’t understand how hair w.out chemicals can get straight w.out some form of heat, whether it’s a flat iron, a pressing comb, a blow dryer, hot rollers, a hooded dryer, a roller set. putting heat on hair weekly or even biweekly will lead to heat damage, which some people like to call “heat trained.” (if you hair texture wet looks like 3a hair and you had 4a hair when you were a child, i would say that’s heat damage. yes the texture is loosened but that’s not your “natural” texture) perhaps at this point you won’t need as much heat or using it as often.
    that may be the case here. i have no clue but based on the shampoo pic i would say her hair has lost it’s kink if she ever had any. many of us make the mistake of assuming someone has kinkier hair based on their skin color. it’s quite possible she has a looser curl pattern naturally.

i’ve done it all relaxers, biweekly press and curls, wigs, weaves, a cesar, a fro, braided extensions, etc. which is why i stopped trying to glean info about what other people do to their hair because i know what works for me.

that being said, i think this post was pretty uninformative. she never discussed her styling process only her bedtime routine, which are not the same. pin curling is an old school technique that needs to be utilized too many women are still wrapping their hair which results in bodiless hair.

14. Danielle says:

Hey Bombshells!

June uses the products at the Paul Labrecque Salon mentioned in the post. She tweeted just the other day that their Straight Hair Finish was used on her tresses–it fights humidity and it’s used before flat ironing and curling. Also like many of us, she switches her shampoo and conditioner when the weather changes (i.e. products that fight humidity now that warm weather cometh this way). Paul Labreque’s “Straight” line works well for this. Their Straight Style “safeguards hair from damage caused by heat and assists with blow drying hair straight. This weightless gel softens and coats the hair fiber allowing your brush to glide effortlessly reducing blow drying time for easy styling. Camellia oil and plant extracts leave hair brilliantly shiny, smooth and full of movement, naturally reflecting light for a polished look”.

I was so enamored with how her curls look so perfect so many days after a salon visit that I focused more on that. I should have known you sleuthing beauties would want more deets…lol. I’ll post more info as I get it. You can get all the Paul Labreque “Straight” products here: http://www.paullabrecque.com/Straight—for-rebellious-hair-C121.aspx. They aren’t very pricey either :)

15. peezy says:

Wow i always assumed she had a weave in…So is that all her hair?

16. L.B. says:

When you do talk to her next can you please find out if she works out. And if so, how does she prevent the dreaded “sweat out”. Thanks!

17. Fabohair says:

Wow. Her hair is gorgeous. Never heard of her before but she definitely has a bubbly personality. Can’t wait ’till her site is up.

18. HerSheLips says:

so glad i found this post, I have been looking for those glasses everywhere. Now that i know what they are, they are sold out. WTF!

19. beyonceaddict says:

Thanks for the update, Danielle!

20. [...] mouth dropped open when i read on the fashion bomb (love that site) that june ambrose is a natural [...]

21. camille says: