February 19th, 2010
Job Opportunities, Shopping, Style Inspiration, What to Wear, Work Wardrobe
Outfit under $100 : What to Wear to an Interview

Bombshell Sheree says, “I’m a fashion merchandising student going on a 2nd internship interview with Nordstrom next week! I feel like everything in my closet right now is just plain–there’s no wow factor! Can you help me find a cute look for under $100 to wear to my interview?”
Finding a complete outfit under $100 is certainly a feat, but we found a blouse, skirt, shoe, and bag combo for under $100 that should impress:

Amp up a subtle tweed pencil skirt with a frilly long sleeve blouse in a bright color that marries conservative with style. Show off a bit of your fierce personality with studded pumps, a cute bag with gold hardware, and flower studs:

Good luck!

What do you think of this outfit for under $100?

13 Responses to “Outfit under $100 : What to Wear to an Interview”

1. Jamrock says:

I’m not a fan of the shoes because I think it’s doing too much. But I definitely agree with the bright blouse to contrast with the conservative tweed skirt. Fashionable, yet not over the top. To me the shoes put the outfit in the “huh?” category. Simple black pumps or even nude pumps would have been a better choice to me.

2. Brandi says:

yea i don’t think the pumps are right for an interview. especially if you’re interviewing somewhere conservative. a fashionable basic black pump would be cool.

3. Helene says:

I’m just sad that I can’t get any of these reasonably priced items here in Paris! No Forever 21, no Target… sigh, am loving that tweed skirt!

4. Love Love the color combo, a muted grey with a burst of Royal. LOvE

5. Claire says:

Thanks, guys, for your comments. I figured for a fashion interview at a department store, a little bit of fashion in the outfit would be ok, hence the spiked pumps. I’m thinking the nude pump would be great for a bank…? LOL but really thanks for commenting!

6. ae says:

agree with claire.. she’s interviewing for a job in FASHION, not finance.. the pumps totally work!

7. Michelle says:

I love it!!!! I do not have an interview to go to, I’ll just wear it anyway!!!!

8. Love this entire look. Working in a creative field gives you a bit of license to amp up the attire with a bold piece (statement necklace, bold shoe, etc). I can’t believe the skirt is under $30

9. Although this outfit is nice, it is NOT appropriate for an interview. Suits are the ONLY way to go when it comes to an interview. You can buy a suit (brand name), shoes and blouse for less then $100 at Ross or TJ Maxx.

10. Kelly says:

As a fashion marketing professional, who has worked for major fashion dept stores, this look would NOT be appropriate. It is ALWAYS best to play it safe and be professional and classic. TRUST ME LADIES. I beg of you, we get alot of young girls who come in thinking they are making a statement by dressing trendy to interviews. It comes across as silly, and that you’re putting too much thought into the outfit and not into what you can bring to the table. Working in fashion is not all cutesy-cutesy dress up time. It’s serious. Classic doesn’t have to mean boring. Think of SUBTLE ways of being different and showing your creative side, maybe a chucky necklace, a great watch, a thick leather head band, switch out the blazer for a plush cardigan. Something like that. Nothing over the top. And may I also suggest, a “budget friendly” outfit is not always the right choice when it comes to hitting interviews. All ladies starting off the the workforce should INVEST in a quality suit, or seperates.

Please please please

11. Claire says:

I know I came up with this outfit…but it’s not like she’s wearing some strong shouldered Lady Gaga outfit. It’s a blouse and a skirt with spiked pumps. Perhaps the shirt could be toned down to a simple white, but I definitely don’t think you have to wear a suit to an interview at a creative company. Just my opinion, we can agree to disagree.

12. Helene says:

Maybe it’s because it’s been a long time since I’ve had to interview in the USA, but I think that this outfit is gold. For a job at law firm, certainly, it would border on inappropriate, but even for most other positions, this outfit would go down wonderfully in Paris. I wore a suit to one of my first interviews here, and the consternation that I faced was palpable. Even though all the men were in suits, the women looked askance at this bizarre, suited female that walked in. It was not a positive response. And the position wasn’t even in a creative industry, if that’s any indicator.

I’d say that this is a case-by-case issue… but I could be biased because I love the outfit so much!

13. Lisa says:

I’m a size 14, I am sure I can not find any of that in my size, but love the outfitt and would rock it at work on day when I have a meeting!