January 15th, 2010
Fashion Discussion, Kelis
Pro Fur Kelis puts Peta on Blast

Of course after the web lit up with pictures of Kelis sporting a multi piece fur outfit, Peta took to the airwaves to attack the bossy fashionista. Not one to hold back, Kelis gave Peta a peace of her mind via her My Space Blog. She had quite to bit to say on the topic.
You ready?

She says, “There is no humane way to kill anything, let me start there. It’s unfortunate but it’s part of life. With that being said, I would eat pterodactyl if you found some and you told me it was meaty and delicious. And after doing a very minimal amount of research……. I found out that the founder Ingrid Newkirk is completely batty. I had a feeling but she far exceeded my expectations. I mean certifiably insane! Lol this chicks will is nuts, google it – it’s a riot! Beyond the fact that I think she’s a diabetic, which means she needs insulin, which is taken from lab pigs (I know this because my sister happens to be in veterinary school), which would be completely hypocritical. It’s like don’t abuse animals unless it can help me.

I feel very strongly about a lot of things such as the sweatshops that spin cotton and the blood on their hands. Btw it’s not just the look of fur. It’s warm as hell and feels glorious, ever rubbed faux fur on your body? Nothing luxurious about that. Then the letter proceeded to name artist and designers who don’t wear real fur. Great! More for me! I don’t judge them, don’t judge me.

If I started wearing endangered animals like polar bear or orangutan then talk to me. (Which btw for the record I would not – I do believe in the preservation of endangered species) But the minks and chinchilla that quite honestly are rodents and if weren’t in the form of a coat I would demand they be put to death anyway are not an issue to me.

The death of high fashion. Ugh.

I eat meat, and in fact my mouth salivates as I type the word meat! And the paint throwing that’s just ridiculous! What if I was hurling Loubitons and Pierre Hardy’s at every sad poorly dressed person on the street? As right as I may be it’s just fanatical and crazy. And people have the right to feel as they please. What about art? Survival of the fittest. Natural selection? No let’s just let all the rodents run free and over take our cities. Oh wait they have, NY and LA in particular are infested! Why don’t u save them all from scavenging on the streets and ruining my evening strolls, take them home. Make them pets! Get off my back! Pun intended!

Underpaid minorities picking your vegetables, now that’s fine for you right? Please, fight for their rights. How about the poverty in the communities of brown people around the world. She had the nerve to say (and I quote) “get over it” talking of the issue of black people and slavery in this country verses cows being slaughtered. Is she kidding me? Lol yes she must be. Actually, she’s lucky most black people have real issues to worry about in the U.S and don’t give a crap what her delusional privileged opinions are. But she should try saying that again just for kicks n giggles on the corner of Adam Clayton Powell Blvd in Harlem n see how well people “get over it” lol.

If u want to preach do it about something worthwhile don’t waste my time trying to save the dang chipmunk.

Find a worthwhile cause like the women being maimed in these Middle Eastern countries. Or female circumcision. Or women’s rights here in America, we still get paid less for doing the same jobs as men. Quite honestly if you hate the world so much go live in the forest where no one else has to hear you complain about the perfectly good food chain the good Lord created. Everyone has the right to an opinion, and that’s mine on that! xoxo.”

Well, that was a mouthful, no?
What do you think of her stance?
Source

Posted In
34 comments

34 Responses to “Pro Fur Kelis puts Peta on Blast”

Wow Kelis! I wouldn’t wear fur, but she made her point quite well.

2. Dobe says:

LOL! I LOVE Kelis!

3. pz says:

I ain’t mad at her! lol

4. esme says:

i’m disgusted with peta as well. these entitled white fools had the nerve to compare lynching and the holocaust to animal cruelty. they care more about how dogs and cats are treated then people and respect for history, so i don’t give what bothers them. that being said, caring about the plight of people of color and treating animals humanely is not mutually exclusive. she can support both issues.

5. esme says:

i meant * and have no respect for history

actually i do think that when it comes to a life being there is no hierarchy a minks life is just as valid as an arabs as a black slave as a woman who is not getting paid her share as a white lady as an asian .each of you Have a point but dont let the heat of the argument allow us to forget that we are here to evolve,sensitivity to each others situation is vital to change.kelis wear your fur till you get sick of it girl ..you bought it,it is your constitutional right .peta thank you for your campaigning and bringing forward the idea of sensitivity now lets try to respect each others right to define ourselves.Peta why not just focus on people who do not wear fur and make them into gloriuos examples that way you will influence more people why focus on people who are obviously not on the same page as you.

7. Shanitahz says:

Well said…some people take their freedom of speech waaaaaaay too far these days. Why just fur, PETA? Why not leather shoes, snakeskin bags…hell we wear sweaters made with angora (rabbit fur) and I don’t see PETA protesting a Macy’s One Day Sale! I think Ms. Bossy hit the nail on the head. Preach girl!

8. rebec says:

I’m not a girl who would wear fur, but, Kelis made her point very well.

9. Jasmyne says:

I agree with Kelis. I would wear fur but I wouldn’t go out there getting a whole bunch of fur coats (because I can’t afford them lol) but even if I could I would still only have a few, because fur is something that lasts almost forever and you don’t need many of them. But Kelis certainly did prove her point and proved it extremely well. Plus, I just love her!!

10. Rockie Road says:

Not only was her letter on point but she also had me laughing. Love my girl Kelis!!!

11. Alicia R. says:

Damn Kelis let PETA have it, good for her. Even thought I don’t and wouldn’t wear fur, I completely agree with her… and I can’t wait to hear PETA’s response.

12. endESQ says:

PeTA is a hot MESS of an organization. Even if their hearts are in the right place insofar as their goals are concered, their tactics are questionable, if not unethical.

13. steph says:

I think Kelis will find that insulin is not from pigs, human insulin is produced in plants. Do you really think Ingrid Newkirk would have parts of animal injected in her for the sake of her health? I think not.

And for ‘Shanitahz’, angora isn’t ripped off the poor animals body, the fur is collected from molting or sheared off… The animal is not killed in anyway, whether it be humane or barbaric!

14. Natalie says:

If someone threw red paint on my mink coat (if I had one) they would not make it 4 steps before I would be on them.

15. Afrika says:

PETA seriously makes me want to vomit. Thank god Kelis had the b*lls to fire back.

16. kS says:

LMBO!!!! GO. HER.
    i LOVE it. let the choir say AMEN!

17. Noelis says:

KILL ANIMALS OVER….LUXURIOUS FEELING?

*rolls eyes*

You fail at excuses Nelis. And you look tacky in fur, not luxurious.

While I agree that PETA go overboard in their causes and have their priorities misplaced, I do not think this excuses the fact that MOST people do not NEED fur. You can not compare the very real human need for protein in their diets (which can not always be feasibly replaced by non-meat proteins) with those of supporting the slaughter of animals for no other reason than to flaunt tacky luxury.

18. LA.Hudson says:

Dang ….. i really get what kelis is saying go girl

19. Realist says:

Kelis, like other black women with no concept of money, equate fur with wealth. Fur coat and no knickers. These crass, horrid, selfish and UGLY individuals go around with their heads so far up their own a$$es they do not comprehend the suffering that goes on around them.

Oh and to compare lab pigs for insulin with slaughtering animals for a bag or a coat… That is NOT an argument, you f*cking pig.

20. esme says:

realist- kelis is ONEblack woman. don’t conflate her choice to buy fur with every single black woman. it makes you sound like a biased idiotic racist. and don’t get it twisted, you are the crass, horrid, selfish, and ugly pig. now get the f**k out of here are go climb up peta’s ass.

21. Deliverance says:

I thought Kelis was kool but this Chick is straight up ignorant … oh let´s brutally pull the skin of some minks so the rodents don´t get to rule the world … Lol on you stupid ass … you not as hot as you used to be girl

22. Aaron says:

I wonder if she’d think twice if she saw how they got that fur. Does she (Or anyone else that feels the way she does) understand that it’s taken from the animal while it’s ALIVE? Then they usually just throw the animal, bleeding and skinless in a corner or a trash can where they can die slowly. It’s sickening.

23. Heather says:

Steph says “I think people should get their facts straight before voicing an opinion they clearly know nothing about.” I really can’t believe you said that Steph. It just shows you to b the idiot you are. As it is clear you don’t kow what you are talking about either. Early insulin research and production did indeed use cows and pigs. Now it is usually made with E.coli, a bacteria. Where did you get plants from? Someone in PETA told you that perhaps, and you believe it hook line and sinker like you believe the rest of their lies and fabrications

24. [...] Fur:  On the one hand, I’ve got a pro-fur rant from Kelis and another hilarious pro-fur rant from Kanye. On the other, I’ve got 30 images from PETA. [...]

25. PRO FUR PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK says:

Get the facts straight people. They don’t just use f*cking chinchillas and minks. They use the animals from our homes too. Such as dogs and cats. DOGS…A MANS BEST FRIEND. Not to be worn on our backs. people are so disgusting. we don’t NEED real fur. The animals survive off of that. THEY NEED IT. We can survive without f*cking real fur. Anyone who is pro fur is ignorant and full of shit. lets skin you and see if you live. F*cking idiots.

26. soph says:

Fur is barbaric an unnecessary in the 21st century.. and it’s unsustainable. Kelis makes her point, but she shouldn’t be hypocritical and be insulting and rude.

27. Khelsi says:

I used to love her music. Keyword ‘used’. “But the minks and chinchilla that quite honestly are rodents and if weren’t in the form of a coat I would demand they be put to death anyway are not an issue to me.” Wow….. selfish b****iness much? I wonder how she would like it if someone demanded her to be put to death because she was classified as worthless, and it wasn’t an issue to anyone. “Underpaid minorities picking your vegetables, now that’s fine for you right? Please, fight for their rights.” Theres a reason PETA is for the protection of animals : THEY CAN’T SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!!! “Quite honestly if you hate the world so much go live in the forest where no one else has to hear you complain about the perfectly good food chain the good Lord created.” Um, incase you haven’t noticed, more and more forests are getting cut down due to immigrants coming in this country illegally, and having 500 kids while they are here. Ignorance is your new best friend Kelis.

28. [...] Fur:  On the one hand, I’ve got a pro-fur rant from Kelis and another hilarious pro-fur rant from Kanye. On the other, I’ve got 30 images from PETA. [...]

29. On it says:

Kelis is hilarious. She makes some good points, and though I do think Peta needs to rethink HOW it sends its messages, the organization does have its heart in the right place. Both sides hold merit. I think the value of life is markedly important, but something that always amazes me is: why isnt there more a focus on the QUALITY of life?
    I myself am predominantly pescetarian, but when I visit my friends in scotland I happily eat venison or other sorts of delish meat. Because I know how the animals are raised, live, and slaughtered. Killing for sustenance is necessary throughout the animal kingdom- and as an evolved species, I think it is our duty to hold it sacred- do it humanely.
    However, until that point- the animal should be able to live safely, comfortably, and naturally.
    Watch some of the videos of how animals are treated in slaughter houses or how fur is taken from animals- some methods will give you nightmares and you will never touch meat again.
    The world will never go fur free or meat free- as someone prior wrote- it is exteremly difficult for humans to get the appropriate amount of protein in their diet solely from non meats sources- we need meat.
    So instead of extremes bickering with one another-why cant all come together to pool ideas to create and enforce humane standard of living and slaughter methods? All fur toting hotties will agree -animal cruelty is not cool. So does peta. There has to be a way to make it work.

30. MJ says:

I hunt I wear furs and leather and I have no shame about being on top of the food chain!

31. [...] Fur:  On the one hand, I’ve got a pro-fur rant from Kelis and another hilarious pro-fur rant from Kanye. On the other, I’ve got 30 images from PETA. [...]

32. […] Fur:  On the one hand, I’ve got a pro-fur rant from Kelis and another hilarious pro-fur rant from Kanye. On the other, I’ve got 30 images from PETA. […]

33. LB says:

What a completely selfish idiot. People like her frighten me, with their lack of compassion and self-righteous ideas. Animals are not on this planet to make us feel fabulous or feel lovely against our skin.

Of course, you can tell by her grammar that she’s stupid anyways. It’s “you”, not “u”. Spell your words like a grown woman.