January 11th, 2010
Beauty, Nicki Minaj
Beauty Bomb : Get Nicki Minaj’s Barbie Makeup Look

Our new official beauty correspondent, Danielle of the Style and Beauty Doctor, is giving you guys the 411 on getting rap artist Nicki Minaj’s hot signature makeup look.
Her style might be questionable, but her makeup is fierce.
Enjoy!

Say what you want about Nicki Minaj (trust, I tried and then oddly find myself bopping my head to her music *sigh*) but the chick is making some waves in the industry whether we like it or not. While her wardrobe of second-skin liquid leggings and bustiers may not be my cup of tea, I do admire that she takes risks with her makeup (and she’s a Queens girl of Trinidadian descent just like me). Taking such risks does not equate to putting on every single eye shadow MAC has ever made, it’s actually a bit more calculated than that. If you’re so inclined to try Nicki’s bright makeup looks, here’s how you do it:

1. Pick color combos that work. Bright makeup colors must agree with each other. Throw any color together and you could have a hot mess on your hands. To figure out if two or more colors go together, break out a color wheel (shown below).

Colors directly across from each other are called complementary colors and as you may have guessed—complement each other! So for instance, you can make a color combo out of violet and yellow (and variations of those colors like light purple and gold).

But of course there are more color combos than just complementary colors. So if you look at colors that lie on either side of any given color, you’ll find colors that are analogous. So you can pair blue, blue-green, and blue-violet together, etc.

Split complementary is a color and the analogous colors to its complement color. An example of this would be red-orange, blue-green, and blue violet.

Last, we have triad colors. Triad colors are three hues equidistant on the color wheel. An example of this would be yellow-green, violet-red, and orange.

Now you can make hundreds of bright color combinations using the definitions above. But how do you pick the right hue for your skin tone?

Generally, think in terms of warm and cool. If you’re warm toned (your skin has a golden or yellow undertone to it, your veins are green, your eyes are hazel, green, or honey brown, and you look best in gold jewelry), you’ll look best in warm toned makeup colors. It’s easy to spot a warm toned color if it has a yellow or gold color to it. Here’s a few pics of some warm toned celebs to help you out:

And if you’re cool toned (your skin has a blue, pink, or red undertone to it, your veins are blue, your eyes are dark brown, blue, or grey, and you look best in silver jewelry), you’ll look best in cool toned makeup colors. It’s easy to spot a cool toned color if it has a red or blue color to it. Here’s a few pics of some cool toned celebs to help you out:

Also, the darker your skin, the brighter in hue you can go.

2. Prep. Bright colors draw attention, so if you’re going the bright route be sure to properly prep. Skin must be thoroughly cleansed and exfoliated and the brows must be manicured. Avoid using a bright color near any blemishes unless you wish to highlight that area.

3. Tools of the trade. To get Nicki’s makeup, you’ll need more than just bright eyeshadow. In order for your makeup to last longer than 8 bars, enlist an eyeshadow base like MAC Paint or Urban Decay Primer Potion. If you really want to get your colors to pop, use a base that’s in the same color family as your eyeshadow.

While you can surely get away with applying some eyeshadow looks with your fingers, with a bright look containing two or more colors, you want the precision you can only get with eyeshadow brushes. Use a brush like MAC #224 for blending or for a simple light wash of color. MAC #222 is great for working in the crease while MAC #217 is a heavier brush great for heavier application of color and for smoky eye looks. MAC #219 is a great pencil brush used for applying eyeshadow in the smallest spaces as well as lining the eyes.

4. Can you wear multiple brights? Normally I’d advise to highlight just one area of the face and keep everything else understated, but you can actually wear multiple brights on the face, BUT it’s a hard look to pull off for everyone. The timid need not apply.

Pull off multiple brights by staying in the same color family or venture out with complementary colors. For example, if your bright of choice is orange, go for a hot bright orange lip paired with coral cheeks, and a combo of peaches and a medium toned orange on the eyes. And this should go without saying, but there’s a time and a place for brights so skip it for conservative work environments and certain places of worship.

For more info on wearing brights, check out these posts: Blush 101, Rock a Bright Lip, and Guide to MAC Eyeshadows.

***********************************************************************************************
Hmmm, I’m a little too scared to try, but perhaps I’ll dip my toe into some brights for the summertime?
What do you guys think?
Smootches!

Posted In
69 comments

69 Responses to “Beauty Bomb : Get Nicki Minaj’s Barbie Makeup Look”

1. esme says:

….i don’t think i’ll EVER copy anything from nicki minaj unless it’s halloween. her barbie look and makeup is trashy and over the top.

2. Andrea says:

Love this lil’ lesson…learned some things!!!

3. Godiva says:

I LIKE HER MAKEUP IN THE PIC WITH AMBER ROSE, BUT THOSE LAST 2…I’M CONVINCED WILL LOOK A MESS ON ANYONE! BESIDES HER

4. tj says:

Blend, blend, blend! Use a MAC 227 brush. Don’t go past your crease , or you will look a mess. Green and gold compliment each other and so does light pink and purple. Look at youtube channels to check out application techniques like MakeupByLeinaBaaaby who has a Nicki Minaj makeup tutorial. Also, try scnadalousbeauty and pertilude (who is a man, but trust me-he is fierce)!

5. harold says:

im your big fan

6. keekee says:

Ummmmm, I like Nicki because she is different, but on the flip side her style shouldnt be recreated by anyone because who is feirce enough to pull off her look. Its like Lady Gaga you can try but its just not going to work, but I wouldnt do the bubblegum pop thing that Nicki does. Its nice to see her marching to her beat of drum but she is only doing it for attention…..

7. rebec says:

I’m a big Nicki Minaj fan, I respect and admire her for being able to completely hold her own amongst all the guys, especially being a part of a predominantly male label. I think her style is cute too, probably only on her, but there are definitely looks you could work with that could be inspired by her. You know, working with a brights-on-black colour scheme, keeping your silhouettes fierce and feminine, playing up your curves… she’s gotta leave the liquid leggings in ’09 though.

8. Lish says:

I found this girl on youtube who actually recreated a NM look from one of her videos….I thought it was interesting…but dont mistake my sharing this link as me being a fan of hers lol.

SongBirdDiva4Life’s recreation of NM’s “Five Star Chic” makeup look

9. Daphne says:

It’s fun and it suits her.

10. NM IS MI ROLE MODEL I LUK UP 2 HER WERE I STAY PPL KAL ME AY MINI DARK NICKI.I THINK SHE LOOKS GOOD IN ALL OF HER PICTURES DATS WAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU AY BAD BITCH I LIKE COMPAREN MI SELF 2 HER CUZ SHE BOT HA MONEY N DNT TKE NO SHYT LIKE ME.(:

11. alexis says:

are yall saying da is how she get make up from

12. kianne says:

i like does colour

13. dejonna says:

FUCC DIS SHYT IT AINT SHOWEN ME NUN…

14. [...] used to wearing only neutrals or not wearing makeup at all, no one is expecting you to go all Nicki Minaj overnight, so I’ve put together some tips on how to slowly add some color into your makeup [...]

15. china says:

umm. i luv nikki minaj ! we are mostly . dha same kz im a colorful person . nd luv . tew do ma haiir intew new stylez >>>>> Jzt lke er ! nd ii thiink < that every1 dhat dhnt lke hw she dress . Iz jzt hatiinq on her bekz , she dhiinq her nd makiinq diiz money! nd she dha baddest bytch out !

16. Kelseylee says:

Tottallyyy LOVEE the niki look she can pull anything off, lookin for makeup like it but cant find any as cute as her’s =[ that gurl deffinitly kno what she duinn when it comes to style,, love her!

17. Saycon says:

I love how Nicki Minaj has fun with her make-up! She’s young so why not play with colors! My best friend Day of Buddhaflyy is the artist behind the inspiration. Based in Atlanta, Ga and L.A. enjoy the upcoming talents of this make-up artist!

18. tinker bell says:

nikki minaj is so gay she says it n every song she sing or rap in…and iy is so funny how she is ..LOL!!!..she had a son but she had let in go to abortion because her friends said that she needed to let it go because she wouldnt like havin it with her and that is so like nikki…!!!!

~Shamyia Shannon

19. Jay says:

We all kno tht ppl rag on nicki all the time be it 4 her clothes or swag or skills or watever but i will be tha 1st 2 admit tht wen this chik 1st came abt i thought her ass was crazy. But now im a HUGE fan and luv how creative and innovative her style can be. So plz haterz dont hate. Appriciate. N mayb u’ll learn a few things from tha luvly n talented miss minaj!

20. [...] a neon colored wig, then beat your face with a cascade of bright colors (reference our post How to Get a Nicki Minaj Barbie Makeup Look for tips). As far as wardrobe, Nicki tends to go for skin tight. Pair contrasting neon leggings [...]

21. Angelica says:

she is my sister

22. Natasha says:

i wish she was my sister

23. katlyn says:

NiCKi , i LOVE YHUu !! i WiSH YHU COULD LiKE DO MY MAKEuP WHY DOO YHU HAVE TO BE FAMOUS & NOT LIKE MY BESTFRiEND OR SOMETHiNG ): yhur #1 fannnn .. katlyn jo0yy.

24. alex says:

i wish we could all go spend a weekend with her and get barbie makeovers and go party hard like rock starts lol!!!! i love you MINAJJJJJJJJJJJJ!!!

25. t.t starr says:

loved the article.im definitely gonna try this! so i can become the ultimate barbie=)

26. karmen says:

hey nikki u no i am goin to try dis n i talk just like u an i am going to be a rapper 2 i am 10 years old my family an me r famus 2

27. karmen says:

hey nikki u know i m goin 2 try dis people say i talk just like u and i know i do and im yo sister and i luv u and i am 10 years old an i am goin to be a rapper to jus lik u and me and my family r famus becouse my granda is ben cauly

28. jaylan says:

hey nikki i really lov u if someone says some about you i’ll makesure i’ll write some to those people and that girl name karmen is my sister she is from tn… sory she lied nikkie don’t give up your dreams.

29. jaylan says:

i love u ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh love you

30. YO says:

SHE HONESTLY CAN’T TAKE A NORMAL PICTURE…INSTEAD SHE LIKES TO LOOK LIKE A BRAINLESS BLOW UP DOLL…HER MUSIC IS REALLY TIGHT…IF YOU LIKE TO HEAR SOME WACK-ASS LYRICS…DON’T YOU JUST LOVE HOW SHE GOES FROM BARBIE VOICE TO HER MAN VOICE? YEA…REALLY SOMETHING…

31. ihatebarbies says:

she’s so ugly i would like to punch her in her plastic face!

32. ihatebarbies says:

@YO

hahaha yes she is fucking wack and looks like a drag queen

33. Helen Hardy says:

I just want you to0 know dat i luv i put u before my own mom and i know i shouldnt do bt dats how much i love plzz follow me on twitter and me and my 2 sister made a song called babe get yo mind right its hot it go hard! Luv u miss minaj

34. reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dats all I got tew say haters dat hate nicki minaj rat bitches and hoes really!!!!!!!!!!

35. reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dats all I got tew say haters dat hate nicki minaj really!!!!!!!!!! do you people really got tew hate on htis talented women

36. Madison says:

i fuckin love you nicki ! you’s mah idol !! <3

37. Unknown01 says:

Damn u’s a sexi bitch!

38. dalyn fenty says:

shes cul. I lyk her style. I tried her makeup its cute nd cul

39. dalyn fenty says:

i think im gonna be a rapper lyk her cause i can rap and sing.

40. HEY NICKI IM ABIG BIG FANN LOVVE A LLL OF YOUR SONGS WILL LOVW TO BE APAPPER LIKE YOU AN I WILL LIKE TO COME TO ONE OF YOUR CONCRTS MY WALL IS FULL OF YOU RPICTURES

41. HEY NICKI IM A BIG BIG FAN LOVE TO DEATH LOVE ALL YOUR SONGS WISH U WAS MY SISTER MY WALL IS FULL OF YOUR PICTURES WILLL LIKE TO COME TO ONE OF YOUR CONCERSTS I LOVE YOU BECAUSE U IN TELLIGENT CUTE FABLOUS IM THIRTEEN YEAR5 OLD

42. Aleesha pinky says:

Yaw bitches sooo sad yo n I hate barbies. Haters aint gun stop ha cash flow I love u nicki. I do hair,make up n hair n ive did ur hairstyles but the favorite 1 I did was tha black n 613 off lil freak. evry bitch at school was hatin . Love you n I love yo style

43. mariah says:

i love nicki minaj songs

44. chantell says:

nicki is very pretty

45. chantell says:

nicki your cool but you go over the top

some of yall r haters but this bad bitch is workin it and so can we so woman up and keep ur sh*t 2 ur self ok.

47. Uniqua Brown says:

i love nicki makeup especially the eye make up as it really stands out . its something unique and interesting.

48. The next nicki minaj says:

Nicki gurlll! Ill love u no matter wat! When u make a mistake ill love u! When ur perfect ill love!! I will be like u!!! Watch nicki!! I love u!!

Nicki is actually beautiful, she’s mad talented and I could only wish to be half of what she is… Love you nicki!!