April 13th, 2009
Diversity, Ethnic Models, Fashion News, Mail Bombs, Vogue
Vogue’s May Issue: Third Consecutive Cover Featuring Black Women

Check out Vogue’s May Issue Cover shot by Steven Meisel:

vogue-may-liya-jourdan

With Liya Kebede and Jourdan Dunn, this makes Vogue’s third consecutive cover featuring black women.

The layout kind of reminds me of the Vogue cover for the World’s Next Top Models:

chanel-iman-vogue

…while Chanel Iman was relegated to the inside flap, Liya warranted the outside cover.

Whether it’s the Obama or Bethann or Andre effect, Vogue is truly bringing it with the diversity. I like!

Do you?

Related Stories:

Beyonce Cover’s Vogue’s April Issue

beyonce-vogue-april1

Michelle Obama Lands Vogue’s March Cover

michele-obama-coversa4ec281

Source & TFS/Luxx

7 Responses to “Vogue’s May Issue: Third Consecutive Cover Featuring Black Women”

1. Bonifant says:

Ah when the economy is in the crapper and “aspirational” brands are feeling the crunch and “aspirational looking” models aren’t helping your bottom line go for the last ditch effort and throw black ppl a bone…hey it couldn’t hurt.

Despite my cynicism I’m glad to see Liya and Jourdan on the cover.

2. Bonifant says:

Also how is Natasha Poly on the inside flap… wow I know she must have been secretly peeved!

3. Danielle says:

I don’t know what to think of all this sudden love of all things Black. On one hand I’m happy to see all the beautiful Black people in magazines, etc. but on the other hand what took so long? *sigh*

4. Nicki=Maxwell fan says:

Cute!

5. LoudPen says:

Chanel was the only model of color to be featured on the up and coming model section? What about the Dominican Sessilee, or British Jourdan Dunn, or Somalian Ubah? What about them? This is ridiculous. I don’t even know who those bland, blonde girls are. They all look the same.

6. lady says:

Great opinions on this website. It is atypical nowadays to find sites with information you are interested in. I’m happy I stumbled upon your website.

7. excuse my musings says:

hmm … I see no red heads, no super curly hair, is this meant to be Vouge’s version of diversity? .. nothing striking here. Unless black people on a cover of a magazine is a rarity? Oh wait it is when its Vogue … and its not a “special” issue .. meh … nice photos though :)