And if you look at the typical offerings, we’ve been very unfair to our men!
Jordan, an aspiring fashion buyer wrote in recently, saying, “I have seen your pieces on summer wardrobe for the ladies who are working and interning, and they are lovely. However, as a Big-and-Tall male on a budget, I am kind of pressed for options. So I, as a Fashion Bomber, am begging for some advice. What types of outfits should I wear? Where can I get clothes that are fashion-forward yet timeless, urban-sophisticated-chic yet inexpensive, youthful yet professional???”
The interns and I collaborated to you give you menÂ your summer work wardrobe guide.
The first wardrobe must:
1. A Hot Suit
Adriana says, “The dress code for buyers can vary. A big part of the job is frequently meeting with either vendors, executives, or the corporate division of your company, so you want to err on the “business” side of the business casual dress code that’s the standard in most places. When looking for a suit, Barneys, for instance, is a very fashion forward retailer and you can probably find more of a Paul Smith or Prada aesthetic there (skinnier pants, more form-fitting shirts, funky turtlenecks). A middle-market company like Macy’s is likely to be more conservative and corporate, so you can find straight-legged (as opposed to skinny) slacks. Hugo Boss suits fit wonderfully on most big and tall men (the drop of the suit is American as opposed to European, which means it’s roomier but Hugo Boss cuts it so that it doesn’t appear boxy). Also, invest in at least one good one.”
Got that? Try these:
1. Hugo Awe/Holl Two Button Suit, $795. 2. Prada Men’s Suit, $808. 3. Baird McNutt Linen Suit, $250. 4. Emporio Armani Two Button Peak Lapel Suit, $555. 5. David Mayer Suit, $268.
If a full on suit blazer is too much, you can always opt for a…
2. Suit Vest:
Suit vests still tread the line of conservative chic and are a lot cooler (temperature wise) than full on blazers. Try these options:
1. Mason Plaid Vest, $44.50. 2. Â Year Solid Suiting Vest, $98. 3. Heritage Herringbone Suit Vest, $129.
Another way to punch it up:
3. Bright Colored Shirt
Adriana says, “I have a colleague who dresses mostly very conservatively except that he chooses the most lively dress shirt colors to punch up his outfits. Tangerine, plum, and kelly green are just some of the ones I’ve seen on him. He tends to choose grey or tan trousers and very good quality, simple ties to anchor the outfit so it doesn’t become too garish looking.”
Aramide found these options:
1. Banana Republic Solid Texture Stripe Dress Shirt, $49. 2. Ted Baker MultiStripe Shirt, $75. 3. Hickey Freeman, $96. 4. Gucci Red Striped Point Collar Dress Shirt, $264.
As Kanye shows, scarves are simple ways to add a personal touch to an otherwise subdued suit or shirt and tie combo. Tie on an expensive Gucci or play it cool with an eye-catching red stole:
1. Gucci Grey Wool Stripe Scarf, $180. 2. Forzieri Solid Silk Scarf, $64.Â 9. Â 3. Emporio Armani Bias Cut Plisse Scarf, $88. 4. Louis Vuitton Celeste Scarf, $160.
4. Zip Front Jacket or Anorak:
You’ll need a cute, easy jacket for more casual office days (or to keep the chill away late at night):
1. Scotch and Soda Nylon Jacket, $132. 2. Shades of Greige Denim Jacket, $143. 3.Â Gap Military Jacket, $68.
Adriana says, “You should never skimp on a pair of shoes. With men’s shoes, good ones will last you ages. The best crafters are usually British or Italian. John Lobb (the gold standard of good British men’s shoes), Jeffery-West (a funkier take on the classic British shoe), Bruno Magli, and Bally are all good bets. For affordable, good quality alternatives, try Cole-Haan and Kenneth Cole“:
1. Gucci Lace Up, $595. 2. Kenneth Cole Leather Loafer, $131. 3. Ferragamo Patent Boot, $650. 4. John Lobb Lace Up Oxford, $1,500. 5. Gucci Bamboo Horsebit Mocassins, $316. Â 6. Cole Haan Air Geoffrey Lace Up, $245.
For the final touch, don’t forget…
Instantly up the style ante for your outfit outdoors with a pair of dark, sexy frames:
1.Â Tom Ford Black Andre Sunglasses, $398. 2. Boss Hugo Boss Men’s Metal Top Bar Aviators, $145. 3. D&G Large Uni Lens Sunglasses, $266. 4. Triple Bar Fashion Aviator, $70.
Men, take note! And ladies, kindly show this to the men in your lives:)